OFFICIAL - Courtyard/Residence Inn Marriott (16th & Baltimore)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Crossroads Hotel

Post by flyingember »

elextendo wrote:
bobbyhawks wrote:
MidtownCat wrote:Stretch should really fight this.
He will probably wait until the cranes are already up to start fighting it, though.
Several of you have no balls... i actually like this project ..and believe it or not Im still pro development.. Please any of you nay sayers and STRETCH haters please feel free to let us know what you have done for the city,how many you employee? and what buildings or properties you have developed..or hey maybe any chances you may have taken positive or negative in making the city a better place..or maybe just on your block...drinking a new flavored latte or fancy Micro beer doesnt count.
Always easy to sit back and say what could of been done rather then getting away from your keyboard and doing it. :D
Implying everyone is sitting back and doing nothing is hugely insulting. Shows why you're getting a bad reputation.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

This project could contribute to the evolving definition of DT and what is a DT hotel. The big hotels at Crown Center have never been considered DT rooms by convention planners. When Crown Center opened the center of activity DT was 11th & Main. To walk from DT to CC was a long hike through the light industrial decay of what was not yet called the Crossroads. With the advent of the P&L District the center of DT again shifted south as it has been doing since the first frenchman crawled out of his canoe. This hotel is in the Crossroads but immediately adjacent to the loop and convention center. The crossroad continues to evolve as one of the liveliest urban nodes in town. The walk between CC and the DT loop is no longer spooky and lonely and with the advent of the streetcar the psychological distance between CC and theDT convention center will shrink even further.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

elextendo wrote:
bobbyhawks wrote:
He will probably wait until the cranes are already up to start fighting it, though.
Several of you have no balls... i actually like this project ..and believe it or not Im still pro development.. Please any of you nay sayers and STRETCH haters please feel free to let us know what you have done for the city,how many you employee? and what buildings or properties you have developed..or hey maybe any chances you may have taken positive or negative in making the city a better place..or maybe just on your block...drinking a new flavored latte or fancy Micro beer doesnt count.
Always easy to sit back and say what could of been done rather then getting away from your keyboard and doing it. :D
I know that I have not been kind historically, but believe it or not, I do have immense respect for the things you have accomplished in the downtown area over the last decade plus. I just have huge disagreements with the way you have handled your streetcar opposition, though I could be more diplomatic about it. Lately, I get this "who is John Galt?" vibe from you, and it sounds like you feel people should follow your lead because you are successful and have accomplished some great things. I oppose successful people all of the time. I agree with successful people all of the time, but past success must also be measured against a world of other factors, especially when we are talking city transportation instead of chicken wings and music venues.

My net worth or book of accomplishments does not diminish or bolster the fact that I am an equal voice under the law. It may not seem it, but people do not become more infallable as they ascend in wealth and stature. Folks are obviously very frustrated with your views and your efforts, and you are obviously very frustrated with the people who live in the neighborhood in which you have had a great impact. I apologize for the sarcasm on the hotel front, and I am glad that we see this issue in the same way! It is great to have someone involved who is passionate about the area, but sometimes we are all passionate about something that is unpopular, for better and for worse. I have been known to be wrong in the past, and I think this may also be the case with a few others.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Being against the streetcar was fine, lots of folks were, for a lot of different reasons. Joining the lawsuit seemed a bit sour grapes.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

grovester wrote:Being against the streetcar was fine, lots of folks were, for a lot of different reasons. Joining the lawsuit seemed a bit sour grapes.
I agree and don't know if that came across. That is what I meant by "the way the opposition was handled." It seems like they are trying to make up for a delayed reaction and investment by spending money in court after the fact.
elextendo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by elextendo »

Always easy to sit back and say what could of been done rather then getting away from your keyboard and doing it. :D[/quote]

Implying everyone is sitting back and doing nothing is hugely insulting. Shows why you're getting a bad reputation.[/quote]
Insulting.... everyone can do their part pro or con..thats what makes it democratic..if you feel insulted maybe you dont do enough other then point fingers..worth has nothing to do with it.. taking chances on any level is all relative. i applaud the doers ..it takes a community to make a city and as you hopefully understand it takes people to make a community and hopefully not all of them have the exact same vision or beliefs..thats what makes a dynamic city.. :D :D :D
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Believing that non resident property owners have voting rights is without precedent, anti-democracy and is not community friendly.

I appreciate your business investment, the great PR you've brought to KC and your commitment to downtown. But on this issue we diverge. Your thinking is wrongheaded sir and the courts have told you as much.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Very nice project! But KC still needs a convention hotel. KC has everything but a hotel now to go after larger conventions. After spending billions on downtown and the convention center, it seems pretty stupid not to throw that last 100 million or so at a hotel and have a complete package. Otherwise much of what else that has been downtown (ballroom, P&L district, streetcar etc) will never see its potential.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

elextendo wrote:taking chances on any level is all relative. i applaud the doers ..it takes a community to make a city and as you hopefully understand it takes people to make a community and hopefully not all of them have the exact same vision or beliefs..thats what makes a dynamic city.. :D :D :D
nothing like trying to bite the hand that feeds you and then claiming you're part of a community.

joining Sue seemed to be the bad choice if anything. she seemed like the vindictive individual in the situation. you were the huh? individual. you went from being an unremarkable business owner (that's a good thing) to someone potentially costing the city millions of dollars.

it wasn't even a strategic decision for you. the yearly streetcar property taxes from the streetcar for all three Logic # entities in the district is in the realm of $450. So unless you were funded externally or had a really good deal you ate through several decades worth of tax payments up front.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

elextendo wrote:
bobbyhawks wrote:
We really appreciate you profiteering. Really. Thanks. Come live down here and be our neighbors. Then you can vote on items that impact our neighborhood.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

KCPowercat wrote:
elextendo wrote: Several of you have no balls... i actually like this project ..and believe it or not Im still pro development.. Please any of you nay sayers and STRETCH haters please feel free to let us know what you have done for the city,how many you employee? and what buildings or properties you have developed..or hey maybe any chances you may have taken positive or negative in making the city a better place..or maybe just on your block...drinking a new flavored latte or fancy Micro beer doesnt count.
We really appreciate you profiteering. Really. Thanks. Come live down here and be our neighbors. Then you can vote on items that impact our neighborhood.
Speaking of developing properties, maybe do something with the half a block of vacant lots and junk houses you've bought up in Center City? I mean, since you're a doer and take chances and whatnot...
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

elextendo wrote:
bobbyhawks wrote:
You can put me in the camp that doesn't think signing on to a frivolous, obstuctionist lawsuit to advance an essentially timocratic ideal constitutes balls.

The other camp that you can put me in is the group of people who have just plain, straight-up done more than you have for "the city", especially its "buildings or properties". I would estimate with some degree of certainty that I've had more direct involvement with preserving historic structures and property in this city that 99% of people on this board.

The key difference here is that l don't think it makes my opinions, views or desires any more important or than those of the other citizens who drink fancy micro beers (or the people who make their name selling those fancy micro beers, for that matter).
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Last edited by chingon on Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

this hotel didn't pass the city plan commission this month. they're to come back with a plan that addresses a few issues, the most concerning is sporting KC's insistence that their southern view not be blocked (i don't see them changing the 10-story height). have seen a site plan and it's amazing what they're doing with 1.2 acres and no incentives. kudos!

the main entrance for both hotels (?) will be on baltimore, at least in the version i saw. parking entry on 16th. they've pledged to carve out some ground-level retail for main street. here's hoping they deliver on the neighborhood's request for a modern structure (versus the neo-classical crap they sent the first time) with an art component.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

That's really disappointing :( . I appreciate what Sporting Innovations is doing on this block, however it is really a shame to see them playing this game. It will be very difficult to build infill in the Crossroads if this is a common complaint, which I'm sure it will be. Every time someone's view of the PAC is blocked there will be complaints. I just hope this doesn't interfere with the project. I am excited about this hotel, and really want to see it built 10 stories as planned.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

No one is entitled to a view unless there is a parcel covenant overlay in the district that restricts certain views from being blocked by new development. The other option is to own surrounding property, or its' air rights where development might obstruct the view.

Sporting KC can complain, but their complaint doesn't hold any legal standing.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

OK. Two say Sporting KC, one says Sporting Innovations. One and the same or two different companies?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:OK. Two say Sporting KC, one says Sporting Innovations. One and the same or two different companies?
Sporting Innovations is the company. Sporting KC spun them off. Not sure if they still own them, but there is a relationship.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCMax wrote:
aknowledgeableperson wrote:OK. Two say Sporting KC, one says Sporting Innovations. One and the same or two different companies?
Sporting Innovations is the company. Sporting KC spun them off. Not sure if they still own them, but there is a relationship.
The downtown entity changed their name in June to SPORTING INNOVATIONS KC LLC.

The entity that runs the team is ONGOAL, LLC. Ongoal is the only Kansas entity that owns 5% of more of SI KC per their last annual reports. Could be more but that's all they have to list.

Ongoal Kansas ownership is Gem holdings (Charles Wear), Pandi Sports (Cliff Illig), Heineman Investmants (C. Robb Heineman), and the D. Patrick Curran trust. the sporting website includes Neal Patterson and Greg Maday, they must not run a KS entity. and Charles Wear must not be a public name for ownership for some reason or else he sold his stake in the past year
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

It cannot possibley block their view of the KCPA, but maybe the LM and the TWA Moonliner. They moved there to be in a dynamic area and then want it frozen in gap toothed parking lot limbo?