OFFICIAL - Courtyard/Residence Inn Marriott (16th & Baltimore)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Crossroads Hotel

Post by flyingember »

KC-wildcat wrote: Will be curious to see the design. Gotta expect a healthy dose of suburban styling, which I'm fine with considering the many other positives this project brings. I just hope they incorporate enough XRoads sensitive architecture so that the building doesn't stand out like a sore thumb. Would be great if they incoporated a lot of glass and steel, so as to transition nicely from the PAC.
downtown has always been mixed to the point that nothing sticks out.

you have the ultra-modern printing building and the mid century TWA building next to brick buildings
the kauffman center is next to an 1800s-style mansion
just south of the crossroads are a bunch of late 20th century stone/glass structures and one glass only structure facing the southern end.

if anything, the crossroads is a result of there not being development, not that people respected the area in what they did. what's been built over the years is largely not to the style of the crossroads, and that's just fine.

even the river market is not immune. see Populous as a big example.

instead of style, color would matter more. muted reds and grays in a more suburban look would blend in more than going glass and steel and having it be shiny or tan
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Will this building look anything like the Denver Residence Inn?
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

beautyfromashes wrote:Image

Will this building look anything like the Denver Residence Inn?
If they are smart, they will incorporate ground floor exterior retail/commercial into their design. Downtown proper could really use a 24 hour McDonalds. As much as I hate to even say that, its one thing everyone I talk to misses that used to be in City Center.
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

Correction, they miss having a McD's in general, we really need a 24 hour version in DT.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

while downtown has an overabundence of empty retail the crossroads does not.

you won't see a mcdonalds there I don't think. but a name brand quick casual spot would be perfect. while I like local chains, many people will go straight to a known chain in a strange city.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

flyingember wrote:while downtown has an overabundence of empty retail the crossroads does not.

you won't see a mcdonalds there I don't think. but a name brand quick casual spot would be perfect. while I like local chains, many people will go straight to a known chain in a strange city.
Old Market Omaha has a Pepperjack Grill, i think something like that would be a perfect fit for Crossroads.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Panera? Noodles & Company? Dunkin Donuts? Starbucks? Five Guys? Einstein Brothers? Potbelly? Penn Station? Au Bon Pain? Subway? Schlotsky's? Quizno's? Qdoba's?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

You have to remember that it's a hotel so they probably would not want an outside chain but setup their own fast casual market.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

flyingember wrote:
KC-wildcat wrote: Will be curious to see the design. Gotta expect a healthy dose of suburban styling, which I'm fine with considering the many other positives this project brings. I just hope they incorporate enough XRoads sensitive architecture so that the building doesn't stand out like a sore thumb. Would be great if they incoporated a lot of glass and steel, so as to transition nicely from the PAC.
downtown has always been mixed to the point that nothing sticks out.

you have the ultra-modern printing building and the mid century TWA building next to brick buildings
the kauffman center is next to an 1800s-style mansion
just south of the crossroads are a bunch of late 20th century stone/glass structures and one glass only structure facing the southern end.

if anything, the crossroads is a result of there not being development, not that people respected the area in what they did. what's been built over the years is largely not to the style of the crossroads, and that's just fine.

even the river market is not immune. see Populous as a big example.

instead of style, color would matter more. muted reds and grays in a more suburban look would blend in more than going glass and steel and having it be shiny or tan
The Webster House was a school, not a mansion.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i'm told the garage will be subterranean. not sure if that's been mentioned in any of the coverage. there would be no city-required parking minimum on that block since the mass rezoning of wyandotte-to-grand in advance of streetcar.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

beautyfromashes wrote:You have to remember that it's a hotel so they probably would not want an outside chain but setup their own fast casual market.
while you're probably right there's a basis for both ways. I've seen Hampton Inn + Bob Evans next to each more than once.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

DaveKCMO wrote:i'm told the garage will be subterranean. not sure if that's been mentioned in any of the coverage. there would be no city-required parking minimum on that block since the mass rezoning of wyandotte-to-grand in advance of streetcar.
you can see the minimums change result already. they're planning 90 more rooms than parking spots.

ad 10,000 per spot (give or take) that's a $900,000 savings. not too shabby for a project that probably only measures double digits.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

KCMax wrote:Panera? Noodles & Company? Dunkin Donuts? Starbucks? Five Guys? Einstein Brothers? Potbelly? Penn Station? Au Bon Pain? Subway? Schlotsky's? Quizno's? Qdoba's?
Careful, you'll awaken the mgsportscracken.
Downtowner
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Downtowner »

That location will have spectacular dead-on views of the PAC. I'm sure their real estate team was scratching their heads that it was available with those kind of views at a likely cheap price. Hence, let's not bother asking the city for $ to get this thing going.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Downtowner wrote:That location will have spectacular dead-on views of the PAC. I'm sure their real estate team was scratching their heads that it was available with those kind of views at a likely cheap price. Hence, let's not bother asking the city for $ to get this thing going.
perhaps not forever. there's another parcel which could put a building in the way
elextendo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by elextendo »

bobbyhawks wrote:
MidtownCat wrote:Stretch should really fight this.
He will probably wait until the cranes are already up to start fighting it, though.
Several of you have no balls... i actually like this project ..and believe it or not Im still pro development.. Please any of you nay sayers and STRETCH haters please feel free to let us know what you have done for the city,how many you employee? and what buildings or properties you have developed..or hey maybe any chances you may have taken positive or negative in making the city a better place..or maybe just on your block...drinking a new flavored latte or fancy Micro beer doesnt count.
Always easy to sit back and say what could of been done rather then getting away from your keyboard and doing it. :D
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Many of us appreciate what you've done for downtown and Xroads. Given there are a lot of pro streetcar people on this site and you oppose it, expect such comments from some. You can take it, roll with it.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

But I like fancy micro brews.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

elextendo wrote:
bobbyhawks wrote:
MidtownCat wrote:Stretch should really fight this.
He will probably wait until the cranes are already up to start fighting it, though.
Several of you have no balls... i actually like this project ..and believe it or not Im still pro development.. Please any of you nay sayers and STRETCH haters please feel free to let us know what you have done for the city,how many you employee? and what buildings or properties you have developed..or hey maybe any chances you may have taken positive or negative in making the city a better place..or maybe just on your block...drinking a new flavored latte or fancy Micro beer doesnt count.
Always easy to sit back and say what could of been done rather then getting away from your keyboard and doing it. :D
I helped get a streetcar project passed.
elextendo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by elextendo »

earthling wrote:^Many of us appreciate what you've done for downtown and Xroads. Given there are a lot of pro streetcar people on this site and you oppose it, expect such comments from some. You can take it, roll with it.
Always do.. love the tension..love the conflicts..love the love..I/we are some of the biggest supporters of KC and what happens there.