OFFICIAL - ARTerra (21st and Wyandotte)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
LostLenore
Surface Lot

Re: Boutique Condos In Freighthouse - Arterra 21

Post by LostLenore »

The idea about sharing the garage is only half thought out, the reason why one company would want to own the whole thing and would possibly build enough parking to suit their needs plus extra would be to use that space for themselves and then rent the parking spaces out to the other companies and turn a profit on the lot. Just having an advantage over another group who is strapped for parking wouldnt be enough, they would still have to look for options, but being able to use that need for parking to ones advantage would be much more profitable. A lot would also depend on the particular owners future plans and whether they forsee the need for more parking in the future. It really comes down to the owners agenda. 

It would also be more convient for a company to simply use an existing empty lot to build up on rather than to try and dig down and incorperate a garage into another building.
scartva
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by scartva »

I just drove by the old PCB building location and noticed that a new sidewalk was built all around the building site.  I also noticed that a new fire hydrant was installed.  The area within the sidewalk has been cleaned up and filled with gravel.  I wonder what will be next????? 
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

scartva wrote: I just drove by the old PCB building location and noticed that a new sidewalk was built all around the building site.  I also noticed that a new fire hydrant was installed.  The area within the sidewalk has been cleaned up and filled with gravel.  I wonder what will be next????? 
I hope a "building", that is a great lot and it's all ready to be developed now.

LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

On a related note - they have started putting up construction barriers and dumpsters next door at Freighthouse Flats, so Scartva hopefully they will get moving on the demo so they can get you in on time. 
scartva
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by scartva »

I talked to one of the Freighthouse Flats investors on Sunday hoping that she'd have news about what was going into the old PCB site.  She told me that as far as she knew, no decisions had been made yet for the site.  PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE……..if it’s going to be a parking garage, try make it look nice with some first floor retail/restaurant space.  It's ok to dream, right????
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

I would love to see an very modern and exciting design surface for a garage on this site.  Something that would incorporate art and convey the feeling that this area is unique and fresh... Then again I also really appreciate this garage from Arch News.

http://www.archnewsnow.com/features/Feature107.htm
Long
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Long »

KCTigerFan wrote: I would love to see an very modern and exciting design surface for a garage on this site.  Something that would incorporate art and convey the feeling that this area is unique and fresh... Then again I also really appreciate this garage from Arch News.

http://www.archnewsnow.com/features/Feature107.htm
So you're saying you're open to pretty much any style?
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

Interesting Web site. Thanks for the reference.
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

I personally would love to see a modern design.  My fear is that we would end up with a pre-cast structure that has a couple of art installations thrown onto it.  they will then proclaim it the Crossroads ART garage.  Let El Dorado or another firm design something interesting.  Perhaps a circular/corkscrew garage.  Stamford, Conn. is designing the garage in the photo.  At its heart it is still a precast piece, but it also has been designed with other exterior elements that are lighted.  You can then have local artists add to it.     

I do think that the garage in ArchNews would be much preferred to a standard garage, but a classic reporduction is not MY first choice. 
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

the only remotely attractive garage eve built in Kansas City has been the library garage, and many people didn't like that.  I cannot see a private developer building anything other than a utilitarian garage in the crossroads unless there is substantial taxpayer investment.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

Wasn't there talk of it being a City owned garage at one point?
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

I never heard that when I was living down there.  Its my understanding that now that the building is down and the cleanup complete, it can be sold, and the loft developers are going to be competing against each other for it.  As for retail, Im not sure how practical that would be. The first floor of the Safeway building was never occupied, except for a small potion that was used by a video poduction company that went belly up a few years ago.  There's never been anyone even looking at that space, in the three years I was living in the bulding.  It doesn't make a lot of economic sense to add more space that would likely be vacant for a few more years.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
gootsku
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by gootsku »

The bids are in.  From what I hear . . . it won't be a garage. 
macnw
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by macnw »

At one point, the city proposed a garage and condo/apartments on top of the garage. The funding was never there, more discussion etc....Don't know if this idea was shelved or what?
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Its now going on 2+ years since this thing came down.  Did the EPA ever get around to auctioning the parcel?  Surely the government isn't just sitting on the land. 
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Thanks, LenexatoKCMO.  I've been looking at this site and daydreaming about the park that should be there.  Anyone have insight into who now controls this parcel?

There was a strong rumor last summer that the plans were being developed for a housing project on this property.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

If the EPA auction took place like it was talked about, I would think there would be some sort of public record of the purchaser.  I would assume that it was one of the neighbors: McGowan, Levitt, or Embassy as they were all rumored to be hot for the land but I haven't heard a peep for over a year. 
Thaine
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Thaine »

From a quick glance at the record and my memory it appears that Levitt has an option to purchase the property, but that there's an order also filed on the record that states the owner in Houston will notify the feds if they ever transfer the property and that the proceeds will go to the State to help pay for the remediation.

I'm not sure the State can auction the property off since they don't own it.  Although there may very well be some provision in the environmental law matrix that allows the sale to pay for remediation.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Finally some news about whats going on with this lot.

Apparently Copaken is planning to build an infill building with Condos, ground level retail, and subsurface parking.  They supposedly close on the land this summer.  But apparently Levitt is trying to throw a wrench in the works with a counter proposal for a "arts park".

http://www.kansascity.com/194/story/93898.html
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

very cool!  it doesn't seem like the Levitt group has any traction whatsoever - they don't own the land and "aren't in line" to buy it.  so why are they preparing site plans for a park?

a 6-story condo building with ground-level retail?  yes, please!  i'm thrilled that we've gotten to the point where developers feel like they can build new buildings instead of renovate old ones.  this area of the Crossroads is great and more density would make much more sense than a park - can't people travel 8 blocks or whatever to Penn Valley Park?  that should be enough dedicated greenspace for the entire Xroads/CC area and beyond!