13th and Grand tower

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: OFFICIAL: Copaken Office Building - 13th and Grand

Post by moderne »

Smells and odors can be very important in creating a unique sense of place.  The Quarter in New Orleans is full of delicious smells wafting about.  Santa Fe smells like pinyon in winter.  The smell of the wood from BBQ wafting over the arena and P&L would make it unique.  Sportscasters from out of town would remark on BBQ like they did at old Municipal Stadium.  It is an odor you could never have in a place like LA (smog restrictions). 
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

Aroma, not odor! This funky little joint should be celebrated and saved, but won't be.
Sad. Another KC culinary landmark known the World over-destroyed.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Thanks, aroma is the best word. 
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The point is well taken.  This is why I've never understood why there isn't a coffee bar on Broadway around Quality Hill.  The entire neighborhood almost always smells of coffee.  You couldn't ask for a better environment for a coffee shop.
There is no fifth destination.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

wasnt copaken the target company for the 1026 main project..if that ever happened..they need a big tenat to build on top of the garage, so why dont they go after copaken?  it would make sense...
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Copaken is the developer, not a tennant.
sokkerdewd
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by sokkerdewd »

I heard a rumor that Danny Edward's agreed to sell at an undisclosed price last night, but that Gigi's won their right to stay...can't seem to find anything in the news about this...anyone else hear anything?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It will be interesting to hear the details.

I'm sort of glad that the owners of the Gigi's building have won the ability to remain. 
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Per the attorney that owns the building at 1222 McGee:  He has not yet even been approached by Copaken about purchasing his building, let alone condemning it.  And he emphatically repeated that his info says they want the block for a 1000 room hotel and even named the operator--Westin.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I wonder if Westin is going to leave Crown Center and relocate their flag in the Loop?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

FangKC wrote: I wonder if Westin is going to leave Crown Center and relocate their flag in the Loop?
The current Westin is till very much worthy of the Westin flag, as is the Hyatt, so I doubt they "move" the flag.  Crown Center seems to be much more in favor of a new downtown convention hotel.  They may be actually pushing for it and if they are involved, they would be able to market all the big downtown hotels together.  The Marriott, Hyatt, Westin and the new hotel would be 3500 hotel rooms in four hotels.  That would help everybody by being able to accommodate large conventions much easier then they do now.
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

moderne wrote: Per the attorney that owns the building at 1222 McGee:  He has not yet even been approached by Copaken about purchasing his building, let alone condemning it.  And he emphatically repeated that his info says they want the block for a 1000 room hotel and even named the operator--Westin.
I wonder when he said Westin if he just ment a Starwood hotel. That could mean that if the W hotel doesn't get approved for the Jones Store Block then they could just shift that part of the project over to this block.

There are also many other brands that could be possible that are a part of Starwood hotels such as Sheraton or Four Points.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Yes, that's probably true.   A lot of people aren't aware that hotel chains have parent companies that operate other brands of hotels.
Last edited by FangKC on Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

CC is worthy of the Westin flag.  However, if a great plan comes along I could see them moving the flag.  Four Points would be a nice flag to have in CC with a nice remodel. 
GRID wrote: The current Westin is till very much worthy of the Westin flag, as is the Hyatt, so I doubt they "move" the flag.  Crown Center seems to be much more in favor of a new downtown convention hotel.  They may be actually pushing for it and if they are involved, they would be able to market all the big downtown hotels together.  The Marriott, Hyatt, Westin and the new hotel would be 3500 hotel rooms in four hotels.  That would help everybody by being able to accommodate large conventions much easier then they do now.
ShowMeKC
Penntower
Penntower

Post by ShowMeKC »

Well, this project now has a face:
[img]http://www.cwbkc.com/Portfolio/Portfoli ... 0A0ED}.jpg[/img]
http://www.cwbkc.com/Development/Index. ... tail&Id=?7
270,000 sq. ft. of offices
50,000 sq. ft. of retail
1,300 parking spaces
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

:puke:

can i make this puke guy any bigger?  that is horrible.  what a waste of half of the block.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

sweet!  that looks pretty nice.  Nothing horrible happening on the street -- storefronts / entrances ... no blank walls.
Nice design.  Enough going on that it keeps visual interest yet it still feels cohesive.  No tacky faux historic or boring extruded shape (pancake of floorslabs w/ nothing but a curtain wall draped over).  I like this.
How can you be so repulsed about this, lick load? 
ShowMeKC
Penntower
Penntower

Post by ShowMeKC »

I've spoken to them several times on 1034 Main and their attitude is basically that if it takes a decade or more (which they believe it will) to develop, then that is what it takes. It's just a project they have out there.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

How long has Copaken been trying to develop 1034 Main? ;)