OFFICIAL - Loews Convention Hotel (formerly Hyatt)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1013
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2002 7:16 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: OFFICIAL - Loews Convention Hotel (formerly Hyatt)

Post by missingkc » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:39 pm

I think the Crossroads will survive and even flourish.

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 17667
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: OFFICIAL - Loews Convention Hotel (formerly Hyatt)

Post by DaveKCMO » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:59 am

Correct. We currently face the ass-end of both the Kauffman Center and the convention complex, but it could have been better since both claimed to embrace the arts district.

User avatar
smh
Hotel President
Hotel President
Posts: 3332
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:40 pm
Location: Central Loop

Re: OFFICIAL - Loews Convention Hotel (formerly Hyatt)

Post by smh » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:36 am

DaveKCMO wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:59 am
Correct. We currently face the ass-end of both the Kauffman Center and the convention complex, but it could have been better since both claimed to embrace the arts district.
Dave, doesn't code require the parking to be obscured? I assume, surely, that they aren't done yet, but the cabling that is installed makes me wonder.

User avatar
TheLastGentleman
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:27 pm

Re: OFFICIAL - Loews Convention Hotel (formerly Hyatt)

Post by TheLastGentleman » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:54 am

DaveKCMO wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:59 am
We currently face the ass-end of both the Kauffman Center and the convention complex
What?

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 29606
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: OFFICIAL - Loews Convention Hotel (formerly Hyatt)

Post by KCPowercat » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:24 am

smh wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:36 am
DaveKCMO wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:59 am
Correct. We currently face the ass-end of both the Kauffman Center and the convention complex, but it could have been better since both claimed to embrace the arts district.
Dave, doesn't code require the parking to be obscured? I assume, surely, that they aren't done yet, but the cabling that is installed makes me wonder.
Everytime I walk down Baltimore I look for signs of screening being installed. I'm losing hope.

moderne
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 4237
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:50 pm
Location: downtown

Re: OFFICIAL - Loews Convention Hotel (formerly Hyatt)

Post by moderne » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:29 am

All renderings show some kind of panels inside the frame of the parking deck openings. Finishing touches to be done also include screening on the roof of the meeting/parking structure and of course the glass peak on top the corner(the architectural equivalent of the squiggle on top a soft serve ice cream).

User avatar
TheLastGentleman
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:27 pm

Re: OFFICIAL - Loews Convention Hotel (formerly Hyatt)

Post by TheLastGentleman » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:13 pm

The architectural swoosh at the top is getting glass

Image

Image

missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1013
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2002 7:16 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: OFFICIAL - Loews Convention Hotel (formerly Hyatt)

Post by missingkc » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:36 pm

that's pretty handsome.

scooterj
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 5952
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 1:30 pm
Location: Northmoor
Contact:

Re: OFFICIAL - Loews Convention Hotel (formerly Hyatt)

Post by scooterj » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:56 pm

TheLastGentleman wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:13 pm

Image
I took the same picture from almost the same spot a couple of weeks ago and forgot to post it. I absolutely love the way the old buildings are reflected in that glass.

langosta
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 192
Joined: Mon May 27, 2019 4:02 am

Re: OFFICIAL - Loews Convention Hotel (formerly Hyatt)

Post by langosta » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:06 pm

Image

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... tives.html

The price tag of the new convention center hotel went up $45million due in part to an expansion of the project scope and more upend fixtures and finishes being selected.

User avatar
GRID
City Center Square
City Center Square
Posts: 14438
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:20 pm
Contact:

Re: OFFICIAL - Loews Convention Hotel (formerly Hyatt)

Post by GRID » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:28 pm

This has turned out much better than I thought it would. I think I even like the shorter tower and massing of it better now. It fits the area better. A 40 story building there would have dwarfed everything in the area and been out of scale and it would probably take up the same footprint with all the parking and ballroom space. This give the area a more dense feel than a tall building would have. Very nice. Now just need to get a few more of the lots in the area redeveloped, like the denny's and goodyear.

User avatar
normalthings
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2035
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: OFFICIAL - Loews Convention Hotel (formerly Hyatt)

Post by normalthings » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:59 pm

GRID wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:28 pm
This has turned out much better than I thought it would. I think I even like the shorter tower and massing of it better now. It fits the area better. A 40 story building there would have dwarfed everything in the area and been out of scale and it would probably take up the same footprint with all the parking and ballroom space. This give the area a more dense feel than a tall building would have. Very nice. Now just need to get a few more of the lots in the area redeveloped, like the denny's and goodyear.
Not to mention that the only “bad” angle will be blocked by Hotel Bravo.

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 29606
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: OFFICIAL - Loews Convention Hotel (formerly Hyatt)

Post by KCPowercat » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:35 am

The whole south side is a bad angle.top to bottom.

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 17667
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: OFFICIAL - Loews Convention Hotel (formerly Hyatt)

Post by DaveKCMO » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:01 pm

normalthings wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:59 pm
GRID wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:28 pm
This has turned out much better than I thought it would. I think I even like the shorter tower and massing of it better now. It fits the area better. A 40 story building there would have dwarfed everything in the area and been out of scale and it would probably take up the same footprint with all the parking and ballroom space. This give the area a more dense feel than a tall building would have. Very nice. Now just need to get a few more of the lots in the area redeveloped, like the denny's and goodyear.
Not to mention that the only “bad” angle will be blocked by Hotel Bravo.
Unless you're walking by... the view that ultimately matters.

User avatar
TheLastGentleman
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:27 pm

Re: OFFICIAL - Loews Convention Hotel (formerly Hyatt)

Post by TheLastGentleman » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:30 pm

DaveKCMO wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:01 pm
Unless you're walking by... the view that ultimately matters.
The more important views are looking south from the loop and looking east/northeast from the convention area. It is a convention hotel after all.

If the crossroads hates their view so much, then maybe they should be building the area up enough to block it.

gfenn11
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 136
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:15 am

Re: OFFICIAL - Loews Convention Hotel (formerly Hyatt)

Post by gfenn11 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:37 pm

TheLastGentleman wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:30 pm
DaveKCMO wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:01 pm
Unless you're walking by... the view that ultimately matters.
The more important views are looking south from the loop and looking east/northeast from the convention area. It is a convention hotel after all.

If the crossroads hates their view so much, then maybe they should be building the area up enough to block it.
The hotel could've been the largest participant in #SpraySeeMo.


(joking aside they really should)

User avatar
TheLastGentleman
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:27 pm

Re: OFFICIAL - Loews Convention Hotel (formerly Hyatt)

Post by TheLastGentleman » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:45 pm

Image

kcjak
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2158
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:02 pm

Re: OFFICIAL - Loews Convention Hotel (formerly Hyatt)

Post by kcjak » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:10 am

Anyone know if those beige panels will fade over time?

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 7817
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: OFFICIAL - Loews Convention Hotel (formerly Hyatt)

Post by flyingember » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:15 am

kcjak wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:10 am
Anyone know if those beige panels will fade over time?
You likely wouldn't notice if they do because of smog staining them darker.

User avatar
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 3615
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:44 pm

Re: OFFICIAL - Loews Convention Hotel (formerly Hyatt)

Post by chaglang » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:44 am

If those are precast, look at the panels on the PAC to get a sense of how they may age.

Post Reply