OFFICIAL - Loews Convention Hotel (formerly Hyatt)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: OFFICIAL - Loews Convention Hotel (formerly Hyatt)

Post by earthling »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:59 pm
earthling wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:01 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:46 pm I mean there is literally nobody staying in hotels around the country.
Actually the average US occupancy was 36% average a couple weeks ago and rising, though cheaper hotels are above avg while nicer hotels are below occupancy average.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/ ... t-COVID-19
Of course I was being a bit hyperbolic. I'd guess that occupancy number doesn't include shuttered hotels which takes 10s of thousands of rooms out. People are staying at some tourist towns but nobody is traveling to the likes of KC convention hotels.
Fair enough. Though I did suspect downtown was right at the verge of being overbuilt with hotels before COVID and COVID might have more impact with DT KC hotels than other markets.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Nice pics. Thanks!
mRoyal
Pad site
Pad site

Post by mRoyal »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:31 pm Image
Nice touch to feature KC area spirits.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Looks to me like they're keeping all the guests in the upper floors.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Just got back from KC. Stayed here for three days. Nice addition to the KC hotel scene for sure.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

We had planned to stay there on Sunday, but after we discovered that no hotels are offering room service we cancelled. I would have asked for an upper floor because the freeway noise there is atrocious. Have you tried to sit outside at Bar Stilwell?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:59 am We had planned to stay there on Sunday, but after we discovered that no hotels are offering room service we cancelled. I would have asked for an upper floor because the freeway noise there is atrocious. Have you tried to sit outside at Bar Stilwell?
I haven’t had any issues with freeway noise other than the outside portion of Bar Stillwell. Hotel rooms are quiet. North facing rooms give a great view of the W&R construction site.

Room service is a no for now but you can get food delivered to the lobby. ChowNow is a Crossroads startup that’s offers delivery and online ordering services. Unlike Uber/GrubHub/Postmates, they don’t charge the restaurant an arm and a leg (just a flat fee of ~$120/month regardless of volume) and have 15,000 restaurants on their platform.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

You pretty much can't sit outside on that North patio. I was surprised how loud it was.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

kboish wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:34 am You pretty much can't sit outside on that North patio. I was surprised how loud it was.
They really should just give up on it. The 7th floor patio is much quieter and allows for better physical distancing. It's open less often, however.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:36 am
kboish wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:34 am You pretty much can't sit outside on that North patio. I was surprised how loud it was.
They really should just give up on it. The 7th floor patio is much quieter and allows for better physical distancing. It's open less often, however.
Would that make them at all likely to kick in funding to a cap over 670? I can’t imagine them not wanting to if enough people gripe to them.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Yeah. It's loud and it will get louder as more towers are built on the opposite side bouncing the sound back to the hotel. It really takes away from what could be a neat space. It's just way too close to the ground. Why is that not on a higher floor? The 7th Street patio thing has little to offer either. I mean, the only thing you really want to see from there is the Performing Arts Center and half of it is blocked by the ballroom, so the view is pretty terrible compared to what it could be.

Also, the front and main entrance is on the wrong side. It should be facing the city. The Wyandotte side should be an alternate and there is no real connection between the two entrances. It's not bad, but when you walk out of the the hotel, you are kind of in no mans land other than a nice view of the PAC. I get it I guess. It's a convention hotel. It's THE main convention hotel, so it should be tied well to the convention center. I just don't think it interacts well with downtown other than the freeway noise.

Having said that, It's still a good hotel. KC needs more modern full service hotels like this. I just think they might have botched the socializing potential of it.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

It was obviously designed with a highway cap being part of the future.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:39 pm It was obviously designed with a highway cap being part of the future.
Was it? I thought the planned cap ends to the east of the hotel
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:39 pm It was obviously designed with a highway cap being part of the future.
I guess so. They must think it will happen.

The streets and stuff in KC were pretty quiet as typical. But I was really impressed by the amount of active restaurants, clubs and just general nightlife going on all throughout downtown. Lots of people staying at the hotel were walking to random destinations in the downtown area. It will be a good spot to stay for access to all of the downtown area.
Walker
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Walker »

GRID wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:50 pm
Yeah. It's loud and it will get louder as more towers are built on the opposite side bouncing the sound back to the hotel. It really takes away from what could be a neat space. It's just way too close to the ground. Why is that not on a higher floor? The 7th Street patio thing has little to offer either. I mean, the only thing you really want to see from there is the Performing Arts Center and half of it is blocked by the ballroom, so the view is pretty terrible compared to what it could be.

Also, the front and main entrance is on the wrong side. It should be facing the city. The Wyandotte side should be an alternate and there is no real connection between the two entrances. It's not bad, but when you walk out of the the hotel, you are kind of in no mans land other than a nice view of the PAC. I get it I guess. It's a convention hotel. It's THE main convention hotel, so it should be tied well to the convention center. I just don't think it interacts well with downtown other than the freeway noise.

Having said that, It's still a good hotel. KC needs more modern full service hotels like this. I just think they might have botched the socializing potential of it.
Would some sort of sound dampening on the ceiling of the outdoor space reduce sound reflecting down onto patrons?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Walker wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:02 pm
GRID wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:50 pm

Would some sort of sound dampening on the ceiling of the outdoor space reduce sound reflecting down onto patrons?
I don't know. I have stayed in a ton of places like that and have actively hunted down these outdoor venues and most are much higher up or on the actual rooftop. It just seems like it would have been a much better place to put such a space. The views from the top of that hotel would be insane. The view from that terrace thing is really not all that great. It's too low and so you can only see a few buildings and the highway of course. It would definitely be better with the park on the highway though. That park has to be done right though and have a VERY high level of maintenance and care or it will look like shit in a year. It needs to be more than just green space. They need to make it a destination for downtown. KC has a pretty bad track record of pulling off high maintenance infrastructure.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:55 pm

The streets and stuff in KC were pretty quiet as typical. But I was really impressed by the amount of active restaurants, clubs and just general nightlife going on all throughout downtown. Lots of people staying at the hotel were walking to random destinations in the downtown area. It will be a good spot to stay for access to all of the downtown area.
Downtown has reverted to about 2007 version of itself since March. It's eerie.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:19 am
GRID wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:55 pm

Downtown has reverted to about 2007 version of itself since March. It's eerie.
Yeah, I guess considering everything going on with covid, the downtown area was actually not all that quiet now that I think about it.