OFFICIAL - Loews Convention Hotel (formerly Hyatt)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: OFFICIAL - Loews Convention Hotel (formerly Hyatt)

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

Can't you just walk on the other side of the street? Anyway, I never see people walking that stretch anyway, so not sure I see the big deal.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yes you can. Cars can also just take the next block....so not sure what the big deal is.

The ordinance is to keep sidewalks open on both sides of the street if a project is closing a sidewalk more than 15 days? Is it hard for most to just cross the street? No..more annoying. Is it harder for someone who can't walk well or in a wheelchair? Yes.

Grovester is right...we are just asking for the laws to be followed...and while it may seem insignificant on this project, it's the norm with all projects even after the ordinance passed....it's ridiculous
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Developers and companies need to get into the habit.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Yeah, I’m not sure how people asking for a city ordinance to be followed is a slippery slope to being CFRG. A lot of people picked the passage of a sidewalk closure ordinance as a worthy battle to fight for and it’s absurd to turn around and not fight for its enforcement. If anything I’ve found that not objecting to something like this makes the city more likely to ignore you the next time something comes up.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Oh if they violate it, I'll be the first one to report them. The city won't actually enforce it though.
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

... the city knows, the city doesn't care because the city understands that this hurts no one. I'm sure if you dug deep enough, there are dozens of violations in almost every project that goes up in every city. It only annoys the very small minority.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

mister816 wrote:... the city knows, the city doesn't care because the city understands that this hurts no one. I'm sure if you dug deep enough, there are dozens of violations in almost every project that goes up in every city. It only annoys the very small minority.
If I hear "the very small minority" line again, I might go crazy.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

^ :lol: it’s just one level above “victimless crime”

816 you are assuming that there’s something rational and considered about the city’s ignoring this ordinance. My experience building in KCMO has been that the city staff ignores ordinances they don’t know about or don’t understand. I would be shocked if anyone at the city actually studied the pedestrian traffic on that block and then decided not to enforce the ordinance. Simply, there is no “the city understands”.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

That's why we keep reporting these every time they happen...so staff enforces it. Getting the ear of the public works communications person (beth) is also helping.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

If they have to maintain the sidewalks they won't be able to afford chocolate mints for the pillows.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

4 pedestrians hit by cars this weekend.....
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

some pics from sunday:

joshmv
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by joshmv »

grecobs
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by grecobs »

joshmv wrote:live stream of the site...

https://video.nest.com/live/16BaltimoreNorth
Cannot wait to watch this everyday like I did 10 years ago with P&L!
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

DaveKCMO wrote:some pics from sunday:
This is crazy, the law says that they needed to keep that hole where the sidewalk used to be open, I'll be tweeting sly immediately!
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

mister816 wrote:
This is crazy, the law says that they needed to keep that hole where the sidewalk used to be open, I'll be tweeting sly immediately!
:roll:

The law went into effect for all projects moving forward. If the city is going to let it slide on the biggest project downtown, then enforce it on a smaller property in the crossroads, that's bs. Fair is fair.

If the developers didn't want to comply, maybe they should have got their shit done on time years ago, before the ordinance passed?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

har har.
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

horizons82 wrote:
mister816 wrote:

The law went into effect for all projects moving forward. If the city is going to let it slide on the biggest project downtown, then enforce it on a smaller property in the crossroads, that's bs. Fair is fair.

If the developers didn't want to comply, maybe they should have got their shit done on time years ago, before the ordinance passed?
I get it, i really do. Every single one of us jumped to conclusions about what was going on with this sidewalk, if they are going to repave this sidewalk and then build up to the sidewalk, then it was absolutely necessary for them to close it for a while. We didn't know what was going on and most likely no one in this forum knows the plan for what's happening in the future.

What we do know is that they are going to build up to the sidewalk and it absolutely cannot be opened for that. I'm sure the engineers and construction company knows what the law is and will follow it when they can but once again, THEY ARE BUILDING UP TO THE SIDEWALK AND THE SIDEWALK CANNOT BE OPENED TO PEDESTRIANS IN THE MEANTIME. It's okay, another sidewalk is opened that is about 28 feet away.

here's to hoping that they reopen the sidewalk to as soon as possible.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Very recent experience with building downtown leads me to believe that neither the engineers nor the GC know about the ordinance. Maybe the architects know. Maybe. And sometimes you have to tell even the city about the ordinance. That’s a weird conversation, trust me. From that same experience, I can tell you that the workaround to the sidewalk not being there is to put a temp sidewalk in the street. Easy peasy. But someone has to care. These ordinances don’t enforce themselves.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

mister816 wrote:
horizons82 wrote:
mister816 wrote:

I get it, i really do. Every single one of us jumped to conclusions about what was going on with this sidewalk, if they are going to repave this sidewalk and then build up to the sidewalk, then it was absolutely necessary for them to close it for a while. We didn't know what was going on and most likely no one in this forum knows the plan for what's happening in the future.

What we do know is that they are going to build up to the sidewalk and it absolutely cannot be opened for that. I'm sure the engineers and construction company knows what the law is and will follow it when they can but once again, THEY ARE BUILDING UP TO THE SIDEWALK AND THE SIDEWALK CANNOT BE OPENED TO PEDESTRIANS IN THE MEANTIME. It's okay, another sidewalk is opened that is about 28 feet away.

here's to hoping that they reopen the sidewalk to as soon as possible.
the ordinance doesn't say the existing physical sidewalk has to be open...just a pedestrian path on that side of the street....eliminates pedestrians from having to cross traffic twice within a block to continue on their journey...it's not an unreasonable or uncommon ask of construction sites.