OFFICIAL - City Club Apartments (former Midwest Hotel)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: OFFICIAL - City Club Apartments (former Midwest Hotel)

Post by normalthings »

FangKC wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:26 pm Don't be so quick to jump on the bandwagon. Dollar General stores are often terrible for neighborhoods.

Why dollar stores are bad business for the neighborhoods they open in

https://www.fastcompany.com/90278384/wh ... ey-open-in

Will Dollar Stores Be The End Of Local American Retail?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/pamdanzige ... 15a5606194

“The Dollar Store Ruined Our Town” – What a Dollar General Would Mean for Donnelsville

http://mainandlake.com/2016/05/dollar-s ... nelsville/
I could be completely wrong but it was my understanding that this is basically a normal urban store just operated by Dollar General.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

The effect of a Dollar General store in a retail option rich area containing an educated, reasonably affluent, mobile customer base (like the Crossroads) would be quite different from the effect in an isolated small town or low income area with a low car ownership rate.
Last edited by missingkc on Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

And given the high rent the prices may not be as low.

I never shopped dollar stores but went into the Dollar Tree in Westport one time when we were waiting at First Watch. Was amazed at what you can get for a buck. I did pickup a few things, some phone charging cables and bathroom night lights. Saw dollar wine glasses that didn't have edges to them, which was surprising. Yeah it's cheap Chinese goods but that's what Walmart and most low-midrange retailers sell too. The quality of low end is rising to doable levels. Cheap flat panel TVs are an example.

And not sure how we can escape the issues with cheap labor in poor working conditions... even iPhones are still made with cheap labor and they profit hugely while those making phones are living on scraps. Those supporting Apple are in no position to complain about dollar stores.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

earthling wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:26 am The quality of low end is rising to doable levels. Cheap flat panel TVs are an example.
The cheap flat panel TVs are now sometimes coming with advertising that shows on screen. You're confusing the cost you pay with the cost to create the product.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Not confused. Some are subsidized that way but not all. Many decent cheapies out there that aren't Smart TVs.

Point being across many kinds of products, cheapies are now often pretty doable, but at the expense of questionable cheap labor. Even worse when products with high profits are still at expense of cheap labor (Apple). But not surprised by your typical pedantic nitpicking.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I've not been in a DGX but it is a very different concept than a traditional Dollar General store. Aimed at urban living millenials with grab n go food items and household basics. Almost certainly will be higher end/higher cost than a traditional store. They are putting one in a retail stall in a similar new construction multifamily deal in downtown Clayton, MO, the heart of favored-quarter STL, for example. On first glance, a good catch for Crossroads IMO.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

Just do a quick Google image search for 'DG X'
This concept looks like a QT, a place to pick up junk food. Kinda trashy for the Crossroads and nowhere near an urban Target.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

So this is like a CVS minus the pharmacy?
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

smh wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:12 am So this is like a CVS minus the pharmacy?
Sure but throw in the soda fountain, slurpee, and rotisserie hotdog machines you'd find at a QT

mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Ah, at least we will be able to enjoy the fineries of roller grill cuisine in the heart of the crossroads.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Critical_Mass wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:18 am
smh wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:12 am So this is like a CVS minus the pharmacy?
Sure but throw in the soda fountain, slurpee, and rotisserie hotdog machines you'd find at a QT

Post-brewery hot dog run!
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Trashy? It is a convenience store, what do you expect? Not everything has to be artisinal, local goods. These are the kind of stores we need to increase walkability/car free livability.

Looks like they have more groceries than a QT or CVS. Looks more like a large bodega.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Nothing says "I take transit" like a fistful of taquitos.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

mean wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:37 am Nothing says "I take transit" like a fistful of taquitos.
I really don't get what point you are trying to make. People who take transit don't want grab-and-go food?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Until there is a Target, would be nice if they would sell a broader range of products than QT type goods. They could do well selling anything not available downtown.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:24 am Trashy? It is a convenience store, what do you expect? Not everything has to be artisinal, local goods. These are the kind of stores we need to increase walkability/car free livability.

Looks like they have more groceries than a QT or CVS. Looks more like a large bodega.
I'll be giving this place a fair shot once they open, for sure.
However, I don't think there is much overlap in the Venn diagram between people who walk by choice and people who consume slurpees and Funyuns on a regular basis.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Critical_Mass wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:02 pm
KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:24 am Trashy? It is a convenience store, what do you expect? Not everything has to be artisinal, local goods. These are the kind of stores we need to increase walkability/car free livability.

I'll be giving this place a fair shot once they open, for sure.
However, I don't think there is much overlap in the Venn diagram between people who walk by choice and people who consume slurpees and Funyuns on a regular basis.
Junk food is only a subset of their offerings.

Healthy grab and go items.

Fresh produce, eggs, milk, etc

Quality household supplies.

Last edited by normalthings on Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:51 am
mean wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:37 am Nothing says "I take transit" like a fistful of taquitos.
I really don't get what point you are trying to make. People who take transit don't want grab-and-go food?
Obviously, the point I am trying to make is that you can identify regular transit riders by their affinity for roller grill taquitos. I feel as though this should have been obvious.

Which is sufficiently absurd that I hoped I wouldn't have to explain that I was just making a stupid joke, but this is the Serious Internet now. I blame Trump.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

If they only sold slurpees and funyuns, then that would be a valid concern, but stores like these are absolutely designed for pedestrians/transit users.

In the morning, you pop in and grab a coffee/granola bar/breakfast sandwich on your way to the bus/streetcar stop. On the way home in the evening you grab a few grocery staples/toilet paper/toothpaste/beer (if they have it)/etc.

It is not the end all be all, and it won't completely replace a large supermarket or Target, but it could greatly reduced the number of times you might have to make that difficult trek (currently for transit users).

I don't live or work in the Crossroads, so I may never set foot in it, but I would be happy to see something like this in my neighborhood (and every neighborhood) to increase walkability. You see stores like this (although not DGX brand) on practically every corner in NYC
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Critical_Mass wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:04 am Just do a quick Google image search for 'DG X'
This concept looks like a QT, a place to pick up junk food. Kinda trashy for the Crossroads and nowhere near an urban Target.

Clearly while calling it trashy and nowhere near a Target has never been inside a Target to see all the candy and soda they sell at every register.

I bet the #1 item sold at QT is coffee.