OFFICIAL - City Club Apartments (former Midwest Hotel)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: OFFICIAL - City Club Apartments (former Midwest Hotel)

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

I think part of the negativity I'm picking up here is just due to the Dollar General name attachment. If this was called Oak & Sage Apothecary and sold the same items on reclaimed lumber shelves (at 3 times the price), I think you would see different attitudes.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:30 pm I think part of the negativity I'm picking up here is just due to the Dollar General name attachment. If this was called Oak & Sage Apothecary and sold the same items on reclaimed lumber shelves (at 3 times the price), I think you would see different attitudes.
I don't think the attitude will matter one bit for sales.

The company has around $25 billion in revenue.

Target has $85 billion and they easily sell items at a much higher price point on average.

So Dollar General downtown likely will have many more customers than Target would.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Oak and Sage Fine Roller Grill Cuisine Menu

Terrine of Hot Dog Foie Log (in artisan corndog casing)
Taquitos Al Pastor (transit rider special!)
Handmade Smoked Pulled Chicken and Cabbage Egg Roll

:lol:
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Phase 1 is coming along per Tom Gerend:

flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

You can't see it well in the photo, but they started extending the structure towards the garage entrance. The new stairwell in the top photo near the right side is that area
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

If anybody happens to know the team working on this project, might you consider asking them to stop parking on the sidewalk on Walnut adjacent to Farm to Market bakery. It really impedes foot traffic on the only open sidewalk. Thanks.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

smh wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:12 am If anybody happens to know the team working on this project, might you consider asking them to stop parking on the sidewalk on Walnut adjacent to Farm to Market bakery. It really impedes foot traffic on the only open sidewalk. Thanks.
https://www.mwbuilders.com/
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:52 pm
smh wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:12 am If anybody happens to know the team working on this project, might you consider asking them to stop parking on the sidewalk on Walnut adjacent to Farm to Market bakery. It really impedes foot traffic on the only open sidewalk. Thanks.
Good call. I sent a couple of message to the City as well. This, in particular, was a group of trucks from Liberty Erection (hehe) no doubt a subcontractor.
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

smh wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:09 pm
Good call. I sent a couple of message to the City as well. This, in particular, was a group of trucks from Liberty Erection (hehe) no doubt a subcontractor.
This morning I literally had to climb over the gas meter and bump (purposefully) into a worker unloading supplies to get by. So I called the police on them.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

gfenn11 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:10 am
smh wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:09 pm

This morning I literally had to climb over the gas meter and bump (purposefully) into a worker unloading supplies to get by. So I called the police on them.
Many thanks!
Rabble
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rabble »

While doing battle with floor squeaks, ahead of the carpet layers, in our fifty some year old house, I began thinking about the amount of wood construction in many of the new downtown apartment buildings. I assume people are paying significantly less to live in Centropolis or Galleria, than in either 2 Light or Arterra, because wood is less expensive than concrete and steel. But do people in these wood apartment buildings also get to hear their upstairs neighbors significantly more? And I guess I find it surprising that City Club, with its prominent location on Main, would be wood frame construction above its parking garage.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Rabble wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:30 pm While doing battle with floor squeaks, ahead of the carpet layers, in our fifty some year old house, I began thinking about the amount of wood construction in many of the new downtown apartment buildings. I assume people are paying significantly less to live in Centropolis or Galleria, than in either 2 Light or Arterra, because wood is less expensive than concrete and steel. But do people in these wood apartment buildings also get to hear their upstairs neighbors significantly more? And I guess I find it surprising that City Club, with its prominent location on Main, would be wood frame construction above its parking garage.
I think that you can hear a bit, like any of the other wooden apartments built elsewhere. It would certainly be something to consider if these projects ever move to for sale units.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

After living in a wood frame apartment for 5 years I vow never to live in a wood framed multi tenant residential building again. Only concrete. In fact the whole experience has caused me to forswear communal living to decamp to single family housing east of Troost. I am tired of having to endure animal house party noise below me, a Corgi above me incessantly barking and its owner exercising it indoors sounding like a herd of galloping bison, the neighbors making love in the middle of the night(she must be a very happy girl with the tsunami crescendo repeating every 15 minutes for an hour). There is significant insulation between units and a skim coat of concrete over the floors.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Vertical glass planks being installed on ground and first floor of old Midwest Hotel. Reminiscent of Bloch @ Nelson-Atkins.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

moderne wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:50 pm Vertical glass planks being installed on ground and first floor of old Midwest Hotel. Reminiscent of Bloch @ Nelson-Atkins.
This could look cool. Any pics?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

missingkc wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:49 am The effect of a Dollar General store in a retail option rich area containing an educated, reasonably affluent, mobile customer base (like the Crossroads) would be quite different from the effect in an isolated small town or low income area with a low car ownership rate.
Update: I visited a DGX with a group of friends over the weekend. It is a pretty nice little urban store. My friends and I agreed that it didnt really seem like a Dollar General property at all. My only complaint is that I wish a local company was opening this up instead of a large national corporation.

Unrelated: Sign design for the KC DGX Store
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Moderne - ground and 1st floor? You ain't from 'round here, are ya.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

What's up with the sidewalk closure? I was chuffed they had left the sidewalk open surrounded by scaffolding, but last time I walked by it was just completely closed. Mildly annoying.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Crossroads Landing DGX, Dollar General’s Urban Concept Store
DGX, Dollar General’s new urban store concept, is coming to the Crossroads as part of the City Club Apartment development at 20th and Main.

A 4,800 square-foot store that will offer a variety of products including grab-and-go foods, home cleaning supplies, home decor, electronics, pet supplies, paper products, coffee and fresh fruits and vegetables will be located on the streetcar line at 1979 Main.
https://cityscenekc.com/crossroads-lan ... uC_hmmDySk