Amenities missing from downtown

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: Amenities missing from downtown

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Am I the only one who doesn’t get that excited by a Target in Midtown? Most cities you go to you can find these stores in the downtowns. If it’s not downtown, and they’re wanting a stupid parking lot with it- then it feels like just another store. If you want a target with a parking lot and cars that’s not downtown, then just drive 5-10 minutes down the road to Ward and you’ll find one. I thought the whole exciting aspect of it was it adds to the downtown living experience and walkability.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Preferably a target would go in with a new build following the cosentinos model with a street level entrance for downtown residents and a shared parking garage with validated parking for people driving.

Obviously cordish was subsidized and this would be an expensive build. I suspect that’s why we don’t have one.

I have little interest in a target permanently surrounded my parking lots.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Why would you take over Costco Gas Station.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

herrfrank wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:21 am
Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:59 am It wont be much of an industrial wasteland in a few years (once TopGolf goes in and the site across the street gets developed) but for now, yes, it is industrial and a wasteland.
Isn't this just north of the Shaw neighborhood -- why hasn't this industrial area had more infill?
Yes, several blocks North. It's closer to SLU than it is Shaw and is just across the street from the Gate District neighborhood and Tiffany. Both of those don't have many people living in them though. It hasn't developed as much because it's been disconnected from everything by railways, industrial, highways and a hospital. It's developing more and more but the key to the transformation of this area is a new Iron Hill proposal and build out of Steelcote Square (where Target is and where TopGolf will go).
alejandro46 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:27 am This first picture really puts it into perspective. It's not like these stores are asking for massive parking lots. You could add a Target with Apartments on top into Midtown Marketplace parkinglot S of Costco and still have like 5x more parking than shown in this rendering. I'm not saying that it will/should go in this development, just that it really puts it into perspective (and the thread got titled KC's Greatest Blunders, which is funny).

The parking lot you see with the Steelcote Target proposal will eventually be built on as Pier Property Group develops the area further. So the only surface parking that will be available in the future will be the spaces just outside of the building's front door.
AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:26 pm Am I the only one who doesn’t get that excited by a Target in Midtown? Most cities you go to you can find these stores in the downtowns. If it’s not downtown, and they’re wanting a stupid parking lot with it- then it feels like just another store. If you want a target with a parking lot and cars that’s not downtown, then just drive 5-10 minutes down the road to Ward and you’ll find one. I thought the whole exciting aspect of it was it adds to the downtown living experience and walkability.
Many Midtowns in America have a Target store so there's no reason why Kansas City's can't join them. It might actually make more sense for a Target to be located on Main between Westport and Linwood since you're in between Downtown and the Plaza (as others have said), are close to all the apartments that Mac owns (and will build more of) on Armour, and the streetcar will have a stop at 31st, Armour and 39th. So this stretch of Main could be anchored by an urban Target + numerous smaller shops and restaurants/bars. It's the most ideal situation (in my view) unless Target could go in the first floor at 13th and Grand.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Target will not want to cannibalize the Ward Parkway store, or the Chouteau store in the Northland. The spot midway between those two stores is around 27th and Main/Grand. That's why I still think it's possible that if Hall's closes that is where Target will end up. The space is already set up for a department store, and there is already garage parking and other adjacent shops and entertainment.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I still think a Target in the old Icehouse building (31st and Wyandotte) would have been great.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

FangKC wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:41 pm Target will not want to cannibalize the Ward Parkway store, or the Chouteau store in the Northland. The spot midway between those two stores is around 27th and Main/Grand. That's why I still think it's possible that if Hall's closes that is where Target will end up. The space is already set up for a department store, and there is already garage parking and other adjacent shops and entertainment.
Crown Center would be a good choice too given plenty of underground free validated parking. If they go for a somewhat larger urban format, could see it in CC or MAC's Armour/Main given midpoint on streetcar line. If under 40K sqft, could see it could go CBD or Xroads, ground floor of new project. Is ground floor of One KC Place doable for 20K-30k sqft? DT Cosentino's is about 35K sqft for context.

One potential approach is to start with a small CBD store with initial short term lease and if complaints about parking or not enough items then pursue a larger space as demand dictates.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Homegoods at Ward Parkway bottom area where TJMAXX is up at top and use shopping carts their. Might be a Walmart that has a Parking Garage.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

I don't recall seeing large carts at Chicago Loop Target and I don't think the small ones can be removed from store. Urban Targets tend to be smaller stores expecting smaller amount of per visit shopping with carry out - typically no large items sold. But you can bring your own collapsible cart too - have seen this. A suburban sized Target that carries full range of goods may not work well in CC but maybe a larger end urban-sized Target.

edit: That was a response to a post that was deleted before I clicked submit, mentioning challenge with carts in a maze of CC parking garages.
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

earthling wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:24 am I don't recall seeing large carts at Chicago Loop Target and I don't think the small ones can be removed from store. Urban Targets tend to be smaller stores expecting smaller amount of per visit shopping with carry out - typically no large items sold. But you can bring your own collapsible cart too - have seen this. A suburban sized Target that carries full range of goods may not work well in CC but maybe a larger end urban-sized Target.

edit: That was a response to a post that was deleted before I clicked submit, mentioning challenge with carts in a maze of CC parking garages.
They have normal sized carts. Only difference is none of the normal carts or short dual layered ones have racks on the bottom due to the tongue that catches on the escalators.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^I saw small double stacked carts but don't recall standard sized carts. And I don't think they can leave store, but may depend on store. Either way, most urban Targets for the most part are intended for carryout but probably vary depending on surroundings. If CC is selected, I doubt carts would be allowed outside store as they'd have to be hunted down. If driving and intending large purchases, can always bring your own collapsible cart.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Big announcement in next 6-9 months. Can not share details yet but it will be fun. advancing quickly
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

By 'fun' do you mean in the entertainment/amusement area like perhaps a giant ferris wheel on riverfront?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Exciting. Are we talking something the size of one venue or block(s) size?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

normalthings wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:01 am Big announcement in next 6-9 months. Can not share details yet but it will be fun. advancing quickly
Type 1 or type 2 fun?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

A few acres
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

normalthings wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:02 pm A few acres