Amenities missing from downtown

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: Amenities missing from downtown

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Katz building katz building!
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:41 pm This is kind of a hot take, but I think we could use more tree's downtown like Seattle has. It looks nice to have nature downtown so you don't feel like you're just stuck in a bunch of buildings.
viewtopic.php?p=626021#p626021
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:25 pm Katz building katz building!
^With first Urban Target soda fountain counter.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I believe I read that the Westport Katz Drug was 20,000 sq. feet when originally built, then they added space later on the back of the building. I don't know how big the annex is.
Last edited by FangKC on Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

earthling wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:28 pm
TheLastGentleman wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:25 pm Katz building katz building!
^With first Urban Target soda fountain counter.
I don't know why they don't do that. Walmart stores often have a Subway in them, and I think some Targets have cafeterias.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:37 pm
earthling wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:49 pm ^They apparently have a population/density requirement. DTKC population increases notably every year so should hit their requirements at some point. And the streetcar extension down to Plaza should make a difference. However wouldn't be surprising if they go for the middle of streetcar line. MAC would be foolish not to intensely pursue Target for the Armour/Main project. Crown Center could work too. Anywhere along the line would work but don't be surprised if around middle.
I thought the point was that we get a Target that people could walk to in downtown?- not to open up another suburban style large target like that eyesore Home Depot on Main that just looks awkward
Ideally, the store wouldn't require a parking lot, or at least it would be in an existing building with a small parking lot, or a garage next to it (Crown Center).
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I wondered who made the Katz Drug-branded beer. Drewry's Extra Dry of South Bend, Indiana, brewed the beer. It was originally a Canadian brand.
...Drewry's continued to expand.[5] Two more acquisitions were made, such as the purchase of Chicago Brewery, Atlas Brewing Company in 1951 and Piels Brewery of Brooklyn, New York, in 1962. A year later, in 1963 Drewry’s joined the Associated Brew Co., based in Detroit, which helped expand the distribution of Drewry’s products. Production of Drewry’s products eventually peaked at 1.3 million bbls. The also expanded operations with contract brewing, famously brewing Katz Drug Store's beer.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drewrys
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Maybe Whataburger or so on.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Going back to the conversation about a Downtown Target store, I really think it could be done. If Midtown St. Louis can get one (in an area with barely any residential at this point in time) it can be done in Downtown KC, just a developer needs to develop a large enough space. The one in St. Louis might only have been approved because of it's proximity to the St. Louis University Campus, Highways (44 and 64), the busiest bus line in the City (70-Grand), and the MetroLink station. Transit might have played the biggest role (despite the huge parking lot out front). Downtown KC has the walkability factor and density going for it. If development keeps up, then a Target makes sense. It already does, but if Target wants to be more certain about it, well just wait a year or two.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^If downtown KC doesn't get an urban style smaller Target, this would be good format for the Armour/Main MAC project. Given Target's location choice for this one in STL, wouldn't be surprising if they choose a Midtown KC location, halfway between DT/Plaza.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

In the middle of industrial wasteland/. 1/2 mile walk to SLU, shorter walk to Metrolink but the grade change isn't going to make this rail accessible.

The massive surface lot is undoubtedly a factor in getting this target
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

normalthings wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:55 am In the middle of industrial wasteland/. 1/2 mile walk to SLU, shorter walk to Metrolink but the grade change isn't going to make this rail accessible.

The massive surface lot is undoubtedly a factor in getting this target
It wont be much of an industrial wasteland in a few years (once TopGolf goes in and the site across the street gets developed) but for now, yes, it is industrial and a wasteland.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

earthling wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:52 am ^If downtown KC doesn't get an urban style smaller Target, this would be good format for the Armour/Main MAC project. Given Target's location choice for this one in STL, wouldn't be surprising if they choose a Midtown KC location, halfway between DT/Plaza.
It would make sense for a Target store at that location.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

I would think one of the empty lots around 7th-8th along Main or Baltimore would be a great area for an urban Target. Right on the streetcar and several lots ripe for development. Plus walking distance from Rivermarket.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^At the base of new tower construction would be fine in that area but not ideal if a stand alone low rise Target store.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Heard Target, similar want surface parking
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

earthling wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:35 am ^At the base of new tower construction would be fine in that area but not ideal if a stand alone low rise Target store.
That would be ideal, but not even a high rise. Most buildings over there are low rise, so something similar to the St. Louis design I would be good with.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:59 am It wont be much of an industrial wasteland in a few years (once TopGolf goes in and the site across the street gets developed) but for now, yes, it is industrial and a wasteland.
Isn't this just north of the Shaw neighborhood -- why hasn't this industrial area had more infill?
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:45 am Going back to the conversation about a Downtown Target store, I really think it could be done. If Midtown St. Louis can get one (in an area with barely any residential at this point in time) it can be done in Downtown KC, just a developer needs to develop a large enough space. The one in St. Louis might only have been approved because of it's proximity to the St. Louis University Campus, Highways (44 and 64), the busiest bus line in the City (70-Grand), and the MetroLink station. Transit might have played the biggest role (despite the huge parking lot out front). Downtown KC has the walkability factor and density going for it. If development keeps up, then a Target makes sense. It already does, but if Target wants to be more certain about it, well just wait a year or two.
This first picture really puts it into perspective. It's not like these stores are asking for massive parking lots. You could add a Target with Apartments on top into Midtown Marketplace parkinglot S of Costco and still have like 5x more parking than shown in this rendering. I'm not saying that it will/should go in this development, just that it really puts it into perspective (and the thread got titled KC's Greatist Blunders, which is funny).

earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

KC_JAYHAWK wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:14 am
earthling wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:35 am ^At the base of new tower construction would be fine in that area but not ideal if a stand alone low rise Target store.
That would be ideal, but not even a high rise. Most buildings over there are low rise, so something similar to the St. Louis design I would be good with.
No reason that 8th/Main area can't have a half dozen hirises over time, even a new KC tallest but even 20+ floors fine. Not that it needs to happen but more ideal than wasting it with lego block buildings, not really appropriate format for CBD IMO.