Amenities missing from downtown

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Amenities missing from downtown

Post by WoodDraw »

That cvs was doing well enough for them to renovate it just a few years ago. I can’t imagine things have gotten worse since then?
Philacav
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Philacav »

The 10th and Main CVS has been a drugstore for the building’s entire existence: Katz, later Skaggs, still later Osco, and then CVS. Above it, and what has certainly saved it from demolition in a location where literally every other old building was demolished immediately around it, was that the upper levels are parking. Sure, it’s art moderne, old parking, but it’s parking and KC never turns a cold shoulder to parking spots downtown.

That a drugstore may struggle to do enough business in a downtown with almost no viable retail beyond eating/drinking establishments, is strange. Some of this has to be a lack of pedestrian vitality even at lunch hour and this raises questions about office employment downtown, which was an issue even before Covid. I’d think the upward trajectory of residential population for 15 or more years would have helped a lot for this store location.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Has anyone confirmed that they're struggling? It wasn't that long ago that their landlord threatened to boot them and they agreed to renovations and a new lease.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

From downtown survey...
High on their positive list was the diverse architectural fabric of downtown, a sense of personal safety during the day, the work of the Downtown Community Improvement District ambassadors and the ease of getting to other places in the metro.

The lowest marks were given to lack of shopping choices; green space and recreation options; services including healthcare and banking; bike-ability, and the availability and cost of public parking.

Not surprisingly, the biggest retail wants by respondents were a City Target and a Trader Joe’s.
https://cityscenekc.com/downtown-living ... so-dogs-2/
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

earthling wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:02 pm From downtown survey...
High on their positive list was the diverse architectural fabric of downtown, a sense of personal safety during the day, the work of the Downtown Community Improvement District ambassadors and the ease of getting to other places in the metro.

The lowest marks were given to lack of shopping choices; green space and recreation options; services including healthcare and banking; bike-ability, and the availability and cost of public parking.

Not surprisingly, the biggest retail wants by respondents were a City Target and a Trader Joe’s.
https://cityscenekc.com/downtown-living ... so-dogs-2/
Green sapce should be solved for the most part once we get the south loop cap. We're all just waitin'
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

That is not going to satisfy all green space needs
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:17 pm That is not going to satisfy all green space needs
Shhh, it’s about the narrative!
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^There's a fair amount of space, just not high quality manicured green space. If Wash Sq Park isn't going to used for something else, sure would like to see it upgraded to something like Rittenhouse Sq. in Philly and other wonderful E Coast small urban parks. Oppenstein Park at 12th/Walnut and City Market park also could become really nice pocket parks if given more attention. Density is required to fund this and as downtown population grows, that's the next natural step. Philanthropy also helps, which is a challenge for KC.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Survey from the Downtown Council went out today asking this if you live downtown and want to give your input.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAI ... Q/viewform
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

CVS closed downtown Columbus store. I think downtown Indy also closed permanently due to riots. And saw downtown Raleigh CVS closed as well. Any indicators with DTKC store?

https://columbusunderground.com/cvs-clo ... store-we1/
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Seems to be doing fine
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

A new story out on the Greenline today. Apparently they’ve refined the project, and it’ll cost $80 mil. They’re now seeking federal funding.

https://cityscenekc.com/proposed-greenl ... l-funding/
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

This is one of my top desires to be done by world cup
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:22 am This is one of my top desires to be done by world cup
It feels like in general the last few weeks the city has been getting very aggressive now. More aggressive than any other time since I’ve been following local city stuff.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

$479,000 in PIAC for a project that's done very little public engagement. What could go wrong?
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

FOX 4 news is reporting just now they hope Greenline to be done by 2026

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClA32ihBF34
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Greenline has been making progress, according to CityScene this week
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

when the royals evict royal master cleaners we'll be missing one of those. i used one of those delivery services when we first moved here and it absolutely sucked shit, so not sure what i'm going to do about this. hopefully abbott (or someone) successfully relocates them nearby.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

wahoowa wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:22 am when the royals evict royal master cleaners we'll be missing one of those. i used one of those delivery services when we first moved here and it absolutely sucked shit, so not sure what i'm going to do about this. hopefully abbott (or someone) successfully relocates them nearby.
Our building uses Arrow and it's been pretty reliable.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

thanks for the tip!