Amenities missing from downtown

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light

Re: Amenities missing from downtown

Post by KCPowercat »

FangKC wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:22 pm
I think instead of fast food let's say we need more take-out places downtown. Take-out is not necessarily McDonald's/Taco Bell/KFC. It's often better quality food that you can order and carry home in containers after work. I also think downtown desperately needs a good quality, old-fashioned diner that stays open until at least midnight or 1 am. No, Town Topic and Denny's don't count. There really aren't that many traditional diners in Kansas City anyway.
I'd say both. A chain fast food place has it's place in a highly functioning downtown

FangKC
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by FangKC »

There are several major blocks that, when they are developed, need to have street level retail spaces designed specifically for restaurants.

smh
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by smh »

Need more and smaller retail spaces to help keep rents down. Additionally, most restaurants shouldn't be 200 seats, but rather something considerably smaller. This would lower barriers to entry for entrepreneurs and increase variety for potential customers.

mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

How the heck does Town Topic not count? That's as dinery a diner as ever dinered.

smh
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by smh »

mean wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:48 am
How the heck does Town Topic not count? That's as dinery a diner as ever dinered.
Sure, it counts. It's a little far from my house, but delicious.

normalthings
Penntower
Penntower

Post by normalthings »

smh wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:35 am
Need more and smaller retail spaces to help keep rents down. Additionally, most restaurants shouldn't be 200 seats, but rather something considerably smaller. This would lower barriers to entry for entrepreneurs and increase variety for potential customers.
The city market spaces are imho about the right size for this sort of thing.

earthling
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by earthling »

Foodie halls seem to be the 'lower barrier entry' trend lately and another is coming downtown. KC does seem more obsessed with large restaurant spaces compared to most larger markets though. Rising lease rates might change that over time.

FangKC
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by FangKC »

mean wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:48 am
I would call Town Topic a counter-type diner-lite. It doesn't have enough seating; doesn't have waitresses that serve your table, and doesn't have an extensive menu. It's basically a burger/chili/breakfast operation.There's nothing wrong with that. I'm talking about a diner that you can go eat several times a week and have a variety of choice, sit to eat, or get take-out.

http://www.m.towntopic.com/menu.html

Here are examples of a classic diner menu.

http://places.singleplatform.com/silve ... ref=google

https://citydiner.nyc/

Three different menus.

http://www.littlepolandnyc.com/

earthling
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by earthling »

A return of a high profile 24 hour diner would be nice, like that Canadian one in P&L's BRGR spot - better quality but still basic diner. The streetcar didn't exist then and population is higher. Maybe at NW corner of 14th/Main across from movie theater?

brewcrew1000
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Isn't that grad school place a diner?

mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Not sure I would call Grad School a diner. That said the Full Ride cheeseburger at Grad School may be the best burger I've ever eaten (not tried the Corvino/Ravenous counterpart, but want to!)

I guess what is or is not a "diner" is a matter of more debate than I thought. Prefab type structure with a counter were my main prereqs. Hayes Chili up north also seemed to me quintessentially dineresque.