OFFICIAL - Lightwell (formerly City Center Square)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower
Posts: 9070
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: OFFICIAL - Lightwell (formerly City Center Square)

Post by flyingember »

taxi wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:53 am
Do they have artisan offices there?
Real estate developers are some of the least creative professionals I've met. Even the ones who fancy themselves artists.
I know one very successful local developer who has tons of properties with the most uninspired names imaginable. I once asked him how the hell they came up with those and his reply was, "We find successful apartments/strip centers/buildings in other cities and use those names." And then I cried.
That’s actually smart.

If someone searches for their development the get positive connections online if they accidentally get another city.

User avatar
taxi
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1802
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:32 am
Location: North End
Contact:

Re: OFFICIAL - Lightwell (formerly City Center Square)

Post by taxi »

flyingember wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:50 pm
taxi wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:53 am
Do they have artisan offices there?
Real estate developers are some of the least creative professionals I've met. Even the ones who fancy themselves artists.
I know one very successful local developer who has tons of properties with the most uninspired names imaginable. I once asked him how the hell they came up with those and his reply was, "We find successful apartments/strip centers/buildings in other cities and use those names." And then I cried.
That’s actually smart.

If someone searches for their development the get positive connections online if they accidentally get another city.
Anti-intellectualism and lack of creativity signal the downfall of humanity. You are part of the problem.

flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower
Posts: 9070
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: OFFICIAL - Lightwell (formerly City Center Square)

Post by flyingember »

taxi wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:44 am
flyingember wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:50 pm
taxi wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:53 am
Do they have artisan offices there?
Real estate developers are some of the least creative professionals I've met. Even the ones who fancy themselves artists.
I know one very successful local developer who has tons of properties with the most uninspired names imaginable. I once asked him how the hell they came up with those and his reply was, "We find successful apartments/strip centers/buildings in other cities and use those names." And then I cried.
That’s actually smart.

If someone searches for their development the get positive connections online if they accidentally get another city.
Anti-intellectualism and lack of creativity signal the downfall of humanity. You are part of the problem.
https://pessimists.co/

Listen to a few episodes of this and you’ll find your argument is a long running trope going back centuries.

I recommend the one on scooters. On topic on anti-intellectualism, the one on the novel is relevant.

mean
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 11013
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2003 9:00 am
Location: Historic Northeast

Re: OFFICIAL - Lightwell (formerly City Center Square)

Post by mean »

Are you trying to argue that anti-intellectualism and lack of creativity signal the great flourishing of humanity? And using a podcast as supporting evidence? Because I think you just proved his point.

flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower
Posts: 9070
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: OFFICIAL - Lightwell (formerly City Center Square)

Post by flyingember »

mean wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:06 am
Are you trying to argue that anti-intellectualism and lack of creativity signal the great flourishing of humanity? And using a podcast as supporting evidence? Because I think you just proved his point.
You really should listen to the podcast, you wouldn't have missed the point I was making if you had.
Our hope is this: By seeing how repetitive and often silly yesterday’s fears were, we can begin to defang today’s fears as well.
Claiming that something a specific person doesn't like personally is anti-intellectual and will result in a dumbing down on society is a lazy and outright wrong argument. it was wrong in the past and it's wrong now.

Developers 50, 100 years ago were likely equally lazy when picking building names and you don't hear someone calling every developer in the history of the world as lazy. Because the "this thing sucks" trope is about repeating the errors of the past.

There's an entire Wikipedia article on towns named after towns outside the US
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U ... .S._places
Last edited by flyingember on Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

mean
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 11013
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2003 9:00 am
Location: Historic Northeast

Re: OFFICIAL - Lightwell (formerly City Center Square)

Post by mean »

I kinda feel like argument-by-podcast is worse than any logical fallacy and you lose by default. Did you know the earth is flat? IT COULD BE MAN I HEARD IT ON JOE ROGAN

flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower
Posts: 9070
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: OFFICIAL - Lightwell (formerly City Center Square)

Post by flyingember »

mean wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:28 am
I kinda feel like argument-by-podcast is worse than any logical fallacy and you lose by default. Did you know the earth is flat? IT COULD BE MAN I HEARD IT ON JOE ROGAN
You really should go listen to it. You wouldn't dismiss it in ignorance. He does actual scholarly research.

In the episode tracing the history of people who claimed birthday parties are bad for society he actually quotes a study on the impact of birthday parties and talks to an expert on the subject.

User avatar
KCPowercat
Ambassador
Posts: 30724
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: OFFICIAL - Lightwell (formerly City Center Square)

Post by KCPowercat »

These lightwell developers are trying to be proactive regarding Missouri getting sports gambling on mobile. If they do a sports book setup well that would be awesome.

User avatar
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall
Posts: 15261
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:02 pm
Location: Old Northeast -- Indian Mound

Re: OFFICIAL - Lightwell (formerly City Center Square)

Post by FangKC »

Lightwell Lands Two Tech Tenants
The lightwell office tower, formerly City Center Square, has landed two tech-oriented tenants: the Kansas City Tech Council and PayIt, a digital payment platform founded locally in 2013.
...
https://cityscenekc.com/lightwell-lands ... uTnaJzs200

User avatar
TheLastGentleman
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1951
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:27 pm

Re: OFFICIAL - Lightwell (formerly City Center Square)

Post by TheLastGentleman »

The new glass atrium is unwrapped. Looks great

Image

Image

Image

Image

User avatar
TheLastGentleman
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1951
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:27 pm

Re: OFFICIAL - Lightwell (formerly City Center Square)

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Image

Image

earthling
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 6511
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: OFFICIAL - Lightwell (formerly City Center Square)

Post by earthling »

WeWork's troubles are getting worse unfortunately (outside of COVID)...
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/02/softban ... offer.html

User avatar
normalthings
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 4527
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: OFFICIAL - Lightwell (formerly City Center Square)

Post by normalthings »

TheLastGentleman wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:28 pm
Image

Image
Plz tell me they aren’t painting this ugly grey.

User avatar
normalthings
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 4527
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: OFFICIAL - Lightwell (formerly City Center Square)

Post by normalthings »

earthling wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:33 pm
WeWork's troubles are getting worse unfortunately (outside of COVID)...
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/02/softban ... offer.html
At least we got a nice, newly renovated 100k sqft space built out in downtown.

User avatar
TheLastGentleman
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1951
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:27 pm

Re: OFFICIAL - Lightwell (formerly City Center Square)

Post by TheLastGentleman »

normalthings wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:08 pm
Plz tell me they aren’t painting this ugly grey.
It's just a few accents at the base. Early renderings showed them.

Image

User avatar
KCPowercat
Ambassador
Posts: 30724
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: OFFICIAL - Lightwell (formerly City Center Square)

Post by KCPowercat »

normalthings wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:08 pm
TheLastGentleman wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:28 pm
Image

Image
Plz tell me they aren’t painting this ugly grey.
agreed. No rendering shows that color on the whole building so fingers crossed.

User avatar
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade
Posts: 825
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:56 pm
Location: Crossroads

Re: OFFICIAL - Lightwell (formerly City Center Square)

Post by Critical_Mass »

Looks like it might be a primer coat. It's darker on the side to the right.

User avatar
TheLastGentleman
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1951
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:27 pm

Re: OFFICIAL - Lightwell (formerly City Center Square)

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Critical_Mass wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:29 pm
Looks like it might be a primer coat. It's darker on the side to the right.
Yes, the grey is a primer coat. Black is the final color. I misunderstood the original post.

shinatoo
Ambassador
Posts: 6658
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:20 pm

Re: OFFICIAL - Lightwell (formerly City Center Square)

Post by shinatoo »

TheLastGentleman wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:20 pm
Critical_Mass wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:29 pm
Looks like it might be a primer coat. It's darker on the side to the right.
Yes, the grey is a primer coat. Black is the final color. I misunderstood the original post.
Is that for signage backing?
Quocunque Jeceris Stabit

User avatar
normalthings
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 4527
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: OFFICIAL - Lightwell (formerly City Center Square)

Post by normalthings »

Lawsuit Claims TPG Stopped Funding Loan Last Month Due to Liquidity Issues


New York-based private equity distressed real estate investor Somera Road claims advances stopped in mid-March on the $60.2 million first mortgage loan it received from TPG on January 8 last year because the lender was cash-strapped.

“We have more than enough equity to complete this project and to fund the entire draw ourselves if we needed to,” Somera founder and principal Ian Ross told CO. “In fact, we have equity to complete the whole project. But we expect the lender to perform under their contract and do what they are obligated to do."

Somera has leased out around 65 percent of the asset, according to Ross.

https://commercialobserver.com/2020/04/ ... ty-issues/

Post Reply