OFFICIAL - Lightwell (formerly City Center Square)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Re: OFFICIAL - Lightwell (formerly City Center Square)

Post by Chris Stritzel »

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Is the lobby open to the public again?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:38 pm Is the lobby open to the public again?
Still closed to the public. You need a buikding ID card to get in. I shoved my phone up against the window for that photo.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Heard the elevators and other basic amenities are not being maintained.
Many leases are not being renewed.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

normalthings wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:24 pm Heard the elevators and other basic amenities are not being maintained.
Are they clearing people out or really having issues?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:11 pm
normalthings wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:24 pm Heard the elevators and other basic amenities are not being maintained.
Are they clearing people out or really having issues?
Really having issues. For example, I was told that the elevators didn't work multiple times last week. Things promised in leases like renovated bathrooms never happened. Many tenants are looking at leaving but those interested in staying are having no issue with the owner when it comes to renewing so I don't think it's an effort to kick people out.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Starbucks left? Is KC the only major american city without a full fledged starbucks in the business district?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:27 am Starbucks left? Is KC the only major american city without a full fledged starbucks in the business district?
Just like, up and gone? Note on the door or anything?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I was walking on the other side of the street so maybe it's a renovation but the sign is off the exterior on 12th.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:30 am I was walking on the other side of the street so maybe it's a renovation but the sign is off the exterior on 12th.
Hmm, maybe just a sign upgrade? Pretty choice corner to abandon unless they're moving elsewhere. Related, is Plowboys still there?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The inside was empty too which drew my eye before the sign. They have put a art gallery where the old Dominos was.

Plowboys is there, being renovated as well so closed right now with that entire ground floor of that building. Think they got Lightwell pressure to keep up with the Jones'
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:39 am The inside was empty too which drew my eye before the sign. They have put a art gallery where the old Dominos was.

Plowboys is there, being renovated as well so closed right now with that entire ground floor of that building. Think they got Lightwell pressure to keep up with the Jones'
That's interesting since Domino's was supposedly evicted for a higher-end tenant. Suppose that fell through?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

smh wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:07 am
KCPowercat wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:39 am The inside was empty too which drew my eye before the sign. They have put a art gallery where the old Dominos was.

That's interesting since Domino's was supposedly evicted for a higher-end tenant. Suppose that fell through?
Will those Main Street spaces be activated with separate entrances?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

DaveKCMO wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:22 am
smh wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:07 am

Will those Main Street spaces be activated with separate entrances?
Domino's already had an exterior entrance, but I recall the Lightwell drawings showing that the vestigial Country Club Bank office there was going to be converted to retail w/ exterior entrance.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The art gallery is the dominos space and that old college classroom space
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

The gallery is run by Haw Contemporary BTW. It's their third location.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:27 am Starbucks left? Is KC the only major american city without a full fledged starbucks in the business district?
I always though it was really weird to only have one, let alone none. Still really odd that downtown KC doesn't have more fast food places like McDonalds or chi fila. Seems like a lot of people live there now to have so few fast food or fast casual type places. Probably need more office workers to survive I guess.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Well google maps says temporarily closed so maybe iis just a renovation.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:51 pm
I always though it was really weird to only have one, let alone none. Still really odd that downtown KC doesn't have more fast food places like McDonalds or chi fila. Seems like a lot of people live there now to have so few fast food or fast casual type places. Probably need more office workers to survive I guess.

https://fox4kc.com/business/overlooked- ... rban-core/
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:10 am
GRID wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:51 pm

https://fox4kc.com/business/overlooked- ... rban-core/
They are talking more about inner cities, which most large cities deal with a lack of franchises or groceries in inner cities. But most downtowns have just as much as suburban areas. KC for some reason lacks stuff in downtown proper. Might have to do with lack of office workers or the lack of consistent pedestrian traffic. I know things are better, but sidewalks are still very empty in KC compared to most large cities because your an drive and park so close to your destination there or people can easily get a car and use it for very short trips.