Crown Center: urban disaster, shining star, or in-between

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: Crown Center: urban disaster, shining star, or in-between

Post by TheLastGentleman »

I feel like crown center in its entirety needs a major overhaul. The stores, though, are probably the least of its problems. I think the different storefronts from different periods of the complex’s history help sell the idea that crown center is a city within a city. Are some of the stores kinda tacky? Sure, but that’s never struck me as a massive issue.

What is a big issue is how dated many of the buildings and systems are.

The mall garage is dirty, dark and claustrophobic, nobody wants to rent out the original office buildings because they’re so dated and isolated from everything, the skywalks need work and their touristy info boards haven’t been updated in probably decades, the rooftop restaurants are totally defunct, and the complex as a whole makes no attempt to engage its surroundings besides the link to union station.

The most visible need for the complex is a good cleaning job. Concrete is stained, glass is dark and grimey, rooftop areas are abandoned and landscaping is lacking.

Worst of all, though, is that the path up the atrium waterfall is restricted and that’s just unacceptable
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Those lots south of CC would make a great baseball stadium location. Great views too. Don't know if they are big enough.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

shinatoo wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:04 pm Those lots south of CC would make a great baseball stadium location. Great views too. Don't know if they are big enough.
There are enough acres but the layout doesn’t work. I think it gets too narrow with Union Cemetery to the south.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

normalthings wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:48 am
shinatoo wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:04 pm Those lots south of CC would make a great baseball stadium location. Great views too. Don't know if they are big enough.
There are enough acres but the layout doesn’t work. I think it gets too narrow with Union Cemetery to the south.
It might barely be big enough, it would have to front Main. Cutting off Grand and 27th would be the problem at that spot
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

This may have been mentioned a few pages back but Starbucks and Burnt End BBQ are taking over the Milano space. There is a nice sandwich board sign out front advertising the same.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I would assume some of the cemetery would have to be moved. Which is something we are going to have to address in the US. I heard somewhere that your burial plot is only good for 100 years in Great Britain and they you can be relocated without legal recourse.

That would be a huge shot in the arm for CC.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

shinatoo wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:15 am
I would assume some of the cemetery would have to be moved. Which is something we are going to have to address in the US. I heard somewhere that your burial plot is only good for 100 years in Great Britain and they you can be relocated without legal recourse.

That would be a huge shot in the arm for CC.
Much of Europe has these time restrictions on graves. Notably, historic graves are exempted. And in this case, KC Union Cemetery is historic (and landmarked), with a deep-rooted and active preservation group supporting it. Never going to move.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I say leave Union Cemetery alone. There are several old urban cemeteries in dense parts of Paris, and they add to the charm of the city.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

KC is the last place on earth that needs to dig up bodies for development
kenrbnj
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kenrbnj »

I happen to agree with KnuckleHead: Overly conservative. They needed to hold this posture through the 1970's through the 1990's.

CC is missing out on a building boom. I hope they dust off plans and participate.
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by empires228 »

Are there any pre-construction design renderings or early publicity photos of crown center out there? I swear I saw some early designs on here once, but I can’t find them.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

This drawing was added to the 2700 Grand Avenue site listing.

https://reporting.loopnet.com/report/73 ... eec6bd5bbc

Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

A second floor or (maybe higher) patio across the whole curved facade would be great. Think of the views!
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

North is up in that plan, so the curved facade would be facing the cemetary
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Is this where they have started to dismantle the steel tube art sculpture?
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

No. this is to the south of that across 27th St. The sculpture is just to be restored.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

Critical_Mass wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:07 pm North is up in that plan, so the curved facade would be facing the cemetary
Oh i see. Was confused. Well the cemetery isn't a bad view either...
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Its quite large a base they are showing taking up the entire plot. It jogs at Main there so the would be more of a DT skyline view than the bulk of SF Tower and the Westin and Morrison and Hecker might indicate. I still think with all its flat topped buildings(so LA) in CC this building needs a Crown to landmark CC in the skyline. Something like Empress Carlotta's crown on the towers of the Puerto Vallarta cathedral, but more like the spiked Hallmark crown on the back of every card.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

normalthings wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:25 am This drawing was added to the 2700 Grand Avenue site listing.

https://reporting.loopnet.com/report/73 ... eec6bd5bbc

Columns appear to be on a 30 foot spacing. This looks like a dated design. Anything built nowadays will generally only have columns around the exterior.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Crayola Cafe has closed after 20 years. They've already started dismantling the space. What a wasted opportunity - there's no way this couldn't have been a money machine if done right. Add a couple of party rooms to rent out and couple those with Sea Life, Legoland, Science City or Kaleidoscope packages. Crown Center could use another kid-centric restaurant given the success of Fritz's.