Crown Center: urban disaster, shining star, or in-between

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Crown Center: urban disaster, shining star, or in-between

Post by earthling »

An upgrade would've been better or maybe a Legoland restaurant? Fritz's also could upgrade their menu from frozen fried foods or maybe better frozen fried foods. A lot of parents complaining on Yelp about the 80s frozen fried food menu.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

kcjak wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:12 pm Crayola Cafe has closed after 20 years. They've already started dismantling the space. What a wasted opportunity - there's no way this couldn't have been a money machine if done right. Add a couple of party rooms to rent out and couple those with Sea Life, Legoland, Science City or Kaleidoscope packages. Crown Center could use another kid-centric restaurant given the success of Fritz's.
Do they already have a new tenant lined up?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

earthling wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:25 pm An upgrade would've been better or maybe a Legoland restaurant? Fritz's also could upgrade their menu from frozen fried foods or maybe better frozen fried foods. A lot of parents complaining on Yelp about the 80s frozen fried food menu.
Fritz’s could use a complete cleaning/remodel as well.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I mean it was open 20 years. Pretty good run. Seems like something that could have scaled to a chain if it was a priority. Guess it wasn't.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

All the Crown Center restaurants that were managed by the Hyatt (and, presumably after the change, the Sheraton) were pretty bad. Milano, Crayola, etc. I'd be curious if all of them closing is part of the hotel divesting itself of managing all those external businesses.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

mean wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:05 pm All the Crown Center restaurants that were managed by the Hyatt (and, presumably after the change, the Sheraton) were pretty bad. Milano, Crayola, etc. I'd be curious if all of them closing is part of the hotel divesting itself of managing all those external businesses.
Yes, they were moved to Sheraton (Starwood) stewardship after Hyatt and the Pritzkers divested from Crown Center. You could get a 10% discount using the Starwood Amex at Milano and presumably the other restaurants also. It wasn't always managed by Hyatt -- until 2004, the Hall family's own Culinary Concepts used to manage all of the restaurants. Eventually, they only hung onto Patio (the very-1970s cafe in the old Halls) and the high-design American restaurant -- both now shuttered. Halls new department-store cafe/ bar, which does serve lunch, has the same staff from the old Patio and devoted Hallmark employee regulars, so there is that.

Not sure why everyone hated on Milano -- I often ate lunch at the bar. The half-sized pasta dishes were still enormous and Rhonda always poured wine rather generously. I also have happy, long-ago memories of when the place was the Crystal Pavilion, home to many dinners after 1980s high school formals. Before the glass ceiling started leaking like a sieve.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

herrfrank wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:13 pm
mean wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:05 pm All the Crown Center restaurants that were managed by the Hyatt (and, presumably after the change, the Sheraton) were pretty bad. Milano, Crayola, etc. I'd be curious if all of them closing is part of the hotel divesting itself of managing all those external businesses.
Yes, they were moved to Sheraton (Starwood) stewardship after Hyatt and the Pritzkers divested from Crown Center. You could get a 10% discount using the Starwood Amex at Milano and presumably the other restaurants also. It wasn't always managed by Hyatt -- until 2004, the Hall family's own Culinary Concepts used to manage all of the restaurants. Eventually, they only hung onto Patio (the very-1970s cafe in the old Halls) and the high-design American restaurant -- both now shuttered. Halls new department-store cafe/ bar, which does serve lunch, has the same staff from the old Patio and devoted Hallmark employee regulars, so there is that.

Not sure why everyone hated on Milano -- I often ate lunch at the bar. The half-sized pasta dishes were still enormous and Rhonda always poured wine rather generously. I also have happy, long-ago memories of when the place was the Crystal Pavilion, home to many dinners after 1980s high school formals. Before the glass ceiling started leaking like a sieve.
Sidenote: the new Halls cafe's food is provided by the Westin kitchen (at least it was when the new Halls opened). The American is still available for private events, chef events and pop-ups. The last time I was in a couple of years ago, I don't think the blinds on the windows or the fake plants had been maintained or even dusted since the mid-1980s.

And Milano's rising prices didn't coincide with the smaller portions and increasingly poorer quality food. Not to mention the inattentive wait staff that shirked personal and dental hygiene.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

kcjak wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:39 pm
herrfrank wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:13 pm

Sidenote: the new Halls cafe's food is provided by the Westin kitchen (at least it was when the new Halls opened). The American is still available for private events, chef events and pop-ups. The last time I was in a couple of years ago, I don't think the blinds on the windows or the fake plants had been maintained or even dusted since the mid-1980s.

And Milano's rising prices didn't coincide with the smaller portions and increasingly poorer quality food. Not to mention the inattentive wait staff that shirked personal and dental hygiene.
Are there any elevated/rooftop restaurants left in KC?
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Not currently, but the Hyatt House on Broadway will have one.

There’s also John’s Big Deck, but I’m not sure if that counts
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

The rooftop bar at Crossroads Hotel has a limited menu. Isn't The Fontaine's restaurant on the top floor?
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

please allow me to blatantly ignore the spirit of the question and name a bunch of answers that no one is satisfied with:
  • westport ale house
  • drunken fish
  • hop cat
  • the well
  • messenger coffee
  • bar-k
Steve52
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Steve52 »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:34 am I mean it was open 20 years. Pretty good run. Seems like something that could have scaled to a chain if it was a priority. Guess it wasn't.
The law of diminishing returns
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

wahoowa wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:37 pm please allow me to blatantly ignore the spirit of the question and name a bunch of answers that no one is satisfied with:
  • westport ale house
  • drunken fish
  • hop cat
  • the well
  • messenger coffee
  • bar-k
Busted. I am not satisfied with any of these.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

wahoowa wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:37 pm please allow me to blatantly ignore the spirit of the question and name a bunch of answers that no one is satisfied with:
  • westport ale house
  • drunken fish
  • hop cat
  • the well
  • messenger coffee
  • bar-k
Would the American not count?
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

i went to slap's yesterday and they've technically got some picnic tables on a roof!
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

2734 McGee renovation listing (2 renderings)

https://images1.loopnet.com/d2/6vdDkX2j ... cument.pdf
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Already reported that a gym is going in here.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Looks like the Milano will be replaced by a BBQ joint. Fitting. Has there ever been BBQ in Crown Center? I don't remember any unless it was in the food court.

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/ne ... f9uMJoo6o0
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Highlander wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:57 am Looks like the Milano will be replaced by a BBQ joint. Fitting. Has there ever been BBQ in Crown Center? I don't remember any unless it was in the food court.

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/ne ... f9uMJoo6o0
Was replaced. The article said the place opened earlier in the week.

Here's the announcement post.
viewtopic.php?p=594946#p594946

It's the second BBQ place. Three Little Pigs is the other. If you're facing Fritz's this new place is behind you and the existing one is to your left.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Bad News at Shook Hardy's 2555 Grand?

185,000 sqft available now in 2555 Grand. Floors 6-12 are vacant and it is $17.50 sqft including o&m

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/2555-Gr ... O/4415466/