OFFICIAL - New Downtown YMCA (former Lyric Theater)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
macnw
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: New Downtown YMCA

Post by macnw »

Did not read anything about any housing being proposed with the new Y. I thought several hundred units were in the original proposal?
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Nice to see that gap filled in with something promising.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

macnw wrote:Did not read anything about any housing being proposed with the new Y. I thought several hundred units were in the original proposal?
I think the housing units were part of the East Village YMCA proposal. I don't specifically recall them being included with the Grand proposal.
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

[quote="smh"][quote="macnw"]Did not read anything about any housing being proposed with the new Y. I thought several hundred units were in the original proposal?[/quote]

I think the housing units were part of the East Village YMCA proposal. I don't specifically recall them being included with the Grand proposal.[/quote]

That's correct, the housing proposal was submitted by Swope for the East Village location.
Zorobabel
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Zorobabel »

Great news.
thegeester68
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by thegeester68 »

I wish the Grand proposal would encompass an additional 6-10 stories of lofts/apartments. That would be a huge boon.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I imagine the Grand site was chosen primarily because of the clout of fundraisers who were promoting that site.

I agree that a new master developer should be chosen to replace Swope in the East Village. There just isn't enough momentum there. The City needs to find a developer with deep pockets and a proven ability to line up capital and other financing for big projects, and a history of accomplishing the project in a timely manner.

With downtown occupancy rates in the high 90 percent range, there is demand for housing. The parcels are already cleared. This shouldn't be that high-risk of a project. One is not going to see neighborhood protests every time a building is proposed.
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

New housing to the north across the street from the Y? Old Fed building....?
thegeester68
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by thegeester68 »

zonk wrote:New housing to the north across the street from the Y? Old Fed building....?
The only way the old Fed would become housing is high end market rate apartments/lofts or resurrection of condos. The new YMCA may re-ignite that development as well as the old Pickwick.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

With the Old Fed building going up for auction, I see it actually becoming marketable again as office space for all the federal agencies coming downtown. The building is in relatively good shape, and has dedicated parking.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

FangKC wrote:With the Old Fed building going up for auction, I see it actually becoming marketable again as office space for all the federal agencies coming downtown. The building is in relatively good shape, and has dedicated parking.
Without venturing too far off topic, is there any chance GSA moves into the old Fed? I keep hearing that it is in "good condition" on the inside.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I think there is some likelihood that the GSA could move some federal workers into the old Fed Building since it is in good condition, and is more secure than many other downtown buildings. It has a lot of square footage, and most importantly, dedicated and secured parking that already exists. I think the prime marketing point for the Old Fed is that GSA could control its' own security, since that building was designed for that. Federal workers wouldn't have to share the building with other companies. They could have their own metal detectors and such without inconveniencing other tenants.

This assumes that some real estate developer/manager buys the building at auction and strikes a deal with GSA. I don't see GSA buying the building because I don't know how complicated a process it is for them to do so with Congress right now and the sequester.

This might be a good remedy for everyone. Until the GSA can get the funding to construct a new federal building in the East Village, it would put tenants into the Old Fed building and it won't sit empty. It's generating income. Then, if GSA gets the funding for a new building, and the real estate market has come back, the Old Fed would be in a better position to be converted into condos or apartments. The new YMCA already be next door, which would be a selling point.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I've also heard that the funds for GSA to move downtown are tied to Congress passing an actual budget. Which makes me nervous.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

UMB parcel at 10th and Grand was the frontrunner site for some time, according to some.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... IkR4jelrPz
cpt4599
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by cpt4599 »

How much of the block will this take up? The only reason I ask is because I park in the upper surface lot at 10th and McGee. I wonder if i'll have to find new parking.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

cpt4599 wrote:How much of the block will this take up? The only reason I ask is because I park in the upper surface lot at 10th and McGee. I wonder if i'll have to find new parking.
Not to worry, we can tear down another building for you.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I imagine a garage will be part of the project. If the City was forward-thinking, and since the entire block is available, it would be wise in the long-run to to have all parties work out some sort of deal where the Professional Building and 1006 Grand had parking in any new garage--in addition to the YMCA, and replacement parking for UMB. Maybe some parking for the Ambassador Hotel as well, so their parking lot could be developed.

This would solve the parking problem for 1006 Grand residents, and free up the parking lot to the east of the Professional Building for a new in-fill structure.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

And I thought there was plenty of parking downtown.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

pash wrote:](*,)
Trolls gonna troll