Is the Crossroads named so because...

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Southwest Blvd. messes up the grid streets and creates weirdo angular intersections. Specifically, it creates intersections of both north-south and east-west streets on its length. I swear, when I was walking and even driving down there I got all turned about.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I don't know, but it needs a better name.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

I've always wondered that too. I once read it descriped as ''where the roads all cross paths'' but other than Southwest Blvd it's just the normal grid pattern. There are other places in KC where one road runs at an angle and they get no special name due to that fact. :)
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

The name came from a "name that neighborhood" contest held by the Star a few years ago. This was back when the area was just beginning to see the first redevelopment, and the Star wanted a unique name for it separate from the other parts of downtown.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

dangerboy wrote:The name came from a "name that neighborhood" contest held by the Star a few years ago. This was back when the area was just beginning to see the first redevelopment, and the Star wanted a unique name for it separate from the other parts of downtown.

Well, it's better than the name I knew it by not too many years ago: "That Scary Empty Area of Abandoned Brick Buildings Between Crown Center and Downtown".
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

Nothing at all wrong with the name Crossroads.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I thought it got it's name from all the rail lines that shot through there..
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
kcmajik
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kcmajik »

it just always makes me think of Britney Spears! oh well, that's not a bad thing at all...lol. anyway it could also be called crossroads because all those streets were the way people would get to downtown back in the day when going to downtown was better than going to oak park for all those moms and pops that are in their 80's by now. my grandma told me that when she was a little girl, if you didn't ride the train you always came into downtown via Paseo or Southwest- so maybe this is like the meeting of those old roads or something. if it is, it took a hell of a long time to come up with a name.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

since we're talking about the crossroads area, does anyone know if there is are "official" boundaries that define the area? if not, what do we think they are? and are they expanding?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I think the boundaries of the Crossroads district of the KC downtown go from the south end of the loop to the tracks that run north of Union Station. East west boundaries would probably be I-35 and US71
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Crossroads of the Continent

Post by FangKC »

KC is the closest to being right.

As early as 1928, Kansas City was being referred to by that name. An article was published in The New Republic magazine on May 16, 1928, entitled "Kansas City: Crossroads of the Continent" that was written by Shaemus O'Sheel.

The name caught on primarily because Kansas City was the second largest rail center, and near the geographic center of the country. During both world wars, most military personnel heading overseas traveled by train and came through Kansas City. In the days when trains were primary mode of traveling large distances, most people crossing the country from east to west and vice versa had to come through Union Station to continue on to where they were going. It was a major transfer point. That is why the railroads built such a large train station here. Only Grand Central and Penn Station in New York were larger.

As train travel declined, the city retained that designation because two primary interstate highways (I-70, I-35) going north and south, and east and west met up here. In two different eras, the train tracks and Union Station on the south, and the crossing interstates on the north defined the Crossroads District, so that was certainly an appropriate name to give it.

I found The New Republic article reference in the bibliography section of the KC Star Books "Union Station Kansas City" by Jeffrey Spivak.
There is no fifth destination.