Hyatt Crown Center to become Sheraton

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Downtown news?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I love starwood but there is already a westin across the street, is this going to be something else?  There won't be a Hyatt property in the Urban Core.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

brewcrew1000 wrote: I love starwood but there is already a westin across the street, is this going to be something else?  There won't be a Hyatt property in the Urban Core.
Unless they get the flag for the new downtown hotel.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Hyatt Crown Center to become Sheraton

Post by mean »

My understanding is that they intend to be the flag on the new downtown hotel (actually, I heard they would have liked to have both properties), but that means that a) there has to actually be a new downtown hotel, and b) there are going to be a whole bunch of folks collecting unemployment until there is a new downtown hotel.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

We discussing this here or in crown center thread?

I don't think we lose much not having a hyatt flag downtown. Kinda feels like that chain is dying

WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

mean wrote: My understanding is that they intend to be the flag on the new downtown hotel (actually, I heard they would have liked to have both properties), but that means that a) there has to actually be a new downtown hotel, and b) there are going to be a whole bunch of folks collecting unemployment until there is a new downtown hotel.
Good news is, the new Sheraton will be hiring.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

If convention hotel downtown carries Hyatt flag it would probably still be the Hyatt Regency brand, which is the convention class brand.  But if not convention class, I could see their Andaz brand in P&L building, which is a boutique style line for biz/leisure travel.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

KCPowercat wrote: We discussing this here or in crown center thread?

I don't think we lose much not having a hyatt flag downtown. Kinda feels like that chain is dying
Wichita has a Hyatt now and we don't  :?  We suck, I'm moving.
THE KID KEPT ONLY TWO COLORS IN HIS CRAYON BOX.....ONE RED……THE OTHER BLUE!
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

WSPanic wrote: Good news is, the new Sheraton will be hiring.
Heh. There are a lot of folks, particularly in management jobs, who have worked for Hyatt for years and years, and moved around the country internationally with them. I doubt they will be interested in converting to Sheraton employees, they'll just move away to work at a Hyatt somewhere else, or sit around waiting for the new hotel.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Hotel life is hard if you want to stay in one city no doubt.

WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

mean wrote: Heh. There are a lot of folks, particularly in management jobs, who have worked for Hyatt for years and years, and moved around the country internationally with them. I doubt they will be interested in converting to Sheraton employees, they'll just move away to work at a Hyatt somewhere else, or sit around waiting for the new hotel.
Sucks for them, but it's the nature of the business. The ones who are good at their jobs will find other opportunities. Those who weren't probably contributed to the deterioration of that property and should consider opportunities in other fields. This isn't a net job loss for the metro/core, so I'm not  going to lose any sleep over it. And I think your characterization of this leading to "a whold bunch of folks collecting unemployment waiting for a new hotel to open" is a little off base.

On the subject of not having a Hyatt in the urban core, not sure that bothers me at all. I could see a Hyatt Place downtown somewhere. They have some nice downtown rehab properties (notably Des Moines) - I could see them pairing that with a convention hotel if that ever comes to fruition.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

WSPanic wrote: Sucks for them, but it's the nature of the business.
If I didn't have a very close personal interest in Hyatt, I probably wouldn't give a shit either.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Feel your pain mean. They knew this was coming right?

WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

mean wrote: If I didn't have a very close personal interest in Hyatt, I probably wouldn't give a shit either.
Whatever.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

KCPowercat wrote:Feel your pain mean. They knew this was coming right?
They didn't. If Mr. Macy knew this was coming, which I doubt, his lips were firmly sealed. It was a pretty big surprise to everyone. Everyone knew CCRC was negotiating with Starwoods, because both operating agreements were to expire Jan 1, but nobody seemed to have any idea the negotiations might include Starwoods taking over.

Hyatt is still interested in operating a hotel in downtown KC, but there's no way one is going to be built by January 1. It is a pretty fucked up situation for long term employees who want to remain loyal to the company, and don't want to or can't move.
WSPanic wrote: Whatever.
You don't have to care, but you don't have to be a dick about it.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

This had been the murmur around hotel circles for awhile. Surprised it hadn't been leaked to hyatt staff.

Starwoods I believe is pretty famous for cleaning house. Some management company changes have retained some staff but don't think that will be the case here.

woodrow
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by woodrow »

Really?  Based on what?  Just curious.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

How do you figure?  Seems like a downgrade in hotel flag to me, but it might lead to an upgrade in the actual hotel property.  That thing has not been up to Hyatt quality in quite some time.

KC more than ever needs a modern large downtown hotel.  It would be nice if Hyatt came back as part of the new hotel.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

i've been to a couple convention hyatts in last couple years.  it does feel like an aged brand.  they have good ballroom services but the rooms are just avg overall. not bad but not fresh.