Hotel Phillips to get multimillion dollar freshing up

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Hotel Phillips to get multimillion dollar freshing up

Post by FangKC »

DaveKCMO wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:45 am
FangKC wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:21 pm I didn't see the point of the beds being up against the windows either.
Since this is nearly unheard of in hotels, I suspect they didn't have a choice?
This historical photo of one of the rooms in the Phillips Hotel doesn't show the bed against the window.

Click on View All Items and scroll right to see the room images.

https://jchs.odyssey.historyit.com/item ... 33/gallery
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

This seems like a hotel that would work better combining some rooms and adding kitchens and living rooms, similar to a Hyatt House. The rooms are fairly big already and there should be plenty of business travelers in the future. A very nice extended stay hotel.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Would rather see rooms combined into luxury suites toward 4.5 to 5 star boutique hotel rather than extended stay type setup. KC lacks a top tier hotel that this building is more conducive to. There are plenty of extended stay places.

Luxury suites tend to have grand piano, private party lounges, etc.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

earthling wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:41 am ^Would rather see rooms combined into luxury suites toward 4.5 to 5 star boutique hotel rather than extended stay type setup. KC lacks a top tier hotel that this building is more conducive to. There are plenty of extended stay places.

Luxury suites tend to have grand piano, private party lounges, etc.
I don’t know if the ceiling height would make it ever conducive to “luxury” and the hallways would need totally redone.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

5 star small boutiques are often older buildings with low ceilings around world, especially around Europe. And mentioned hallway upgrades earlier, not a biggy when committed to investing in that class of a hotel. Usually what separates 5 star are the unusual concierge services and top notch finishes, not height of ceilings.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Was told this hotel pretty much entirely closed for a while due to fire escape issues. Almost all room reservations canceled including my friend's