20th Street Streetscape

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: 20th Street Streetscape

Post by flyingember »

pash wrote:The only thing I don't like about it is the center turn lanes; I hope they eventually get filled in at mid-block.
center turn lanes are perfect for urban traffic. we want dozens of them across downtown

they slow people down so they're not trying to rush a left turn which is safer for pedestrians
they don't block traffic so busses and trains can go around a turn
they create an obstacle oncoming drivers have to slow down for (skinnier = slower)
they get delivery vehicles out of the parking lane or in some cases, out of the driving lane!
they take away the bulge out at intersections where the parking lane becomes the right lane so you can have the dedicated left turn lane
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Left turns should be illegal in any urban environment. Slows traffic to much and way to dangerous.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

shinatoo wrote:Left turns should be illegal in any urban environment. Slows traffic to much and way to dangerous.
uh, not even close to reality, especially for safety or speed.

take any garage or lot with only one entrance, there's plenty of them downtown. let's say we're going NB into the garage at 1720 Main

pull a map up to follow this path.

the shortest possible path is to pass the garage and turn right onto 17th, walnut, 18th, baltimore, 17th and then back onto Main. to avoid making a left turn takes a half block distance and turns it into 7 blocks of driving.

tell me how massively increasing the number of places one can hit someone/something and driving for longer is better than a left turn from a dedicated lane?

it's the same case being made against one-way streets.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Plan your trip better. Left turns slow traffic, and in high traffic times lock up the grid.

I can see mid block lefts being legal if traffic is clear. But otherwise should be banned at intersections.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

water line replacement is now underway, then the actual project will begin construction. it really is happening!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

utility work is complete, but construction of the streetscape has been postponed to spring. reasons: utility work started late and took longer than expected. the work is funded and the contracts have been let, so it will get built... eventually. bumpouts were constructed on 20th street that show the road diet's impact.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Any updates on this project or just waiting till spring at this point?

What is the target date for completion?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Midtownkid wrote:Any updates on this project or just waiting till spring at this point?

What is the target date for completion?
we're meeting with the city next week. will know more then.

but, yes, it's fully funded and the contracts have been let. last update was construction to start in spring, completed in 2016.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

This is going to do so much to improve the image of that Crossroads and the feeling one has while exploring it. Such a great project, I wish we had 20 more of these happening around the urban core.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Are the new curb bulbs at main going to be torn up? Seems they were built not to accommodate the future plan.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote:Are the new curb bulbs at main going to be torn up? Seems they were built not to accommodate the future plan.
it looks a bit confusing since they just built that one spot and left the median in place (the median is not part of the 20th street plan). there has been some hand-wringing about it, but i believe the bulbs will stay. i could be wrong!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I just thought there was going to be a super wide sidewalk on the north side....how those curbs are built, they go right back to the current sidewalk width.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote:I just thought there was going to be a super wide sidewalk on the north side....how those curbs are built, they go right back to the current sidewalk width.
i believe that is a temporary transition. the extra wide sidewalk (and bike lane) is definitely still in the plan.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

construction for main to grand runs march-july, main to southwest blvd from july-october.

- bike boxes have been added at each signalized intersection
- stormwater retention has been added under the sidewalks (may exceed target to capture first 1.5" of rainwater)
- one lane of traffic will be maintained in each direction during construction (center of the street)
- design will be at 100% by the end of the month
- project information will be shared on the city's website

so, yes, it's happening.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

talk of groundbreaking and early replacement of the signal at grand.

IT'S HAPPENING
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

informational flyers will be handed out at april first friday. smart city kiosks will be installed during construction at grand, baltimore and southwest boulevard.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DaveKCMO wrote:informational flyers will be handed out at april first friday. smart city kiosks will be installed during construction at grand, baltimore and southwest boulevard.
I tried to sign up for the app beta at the kiosk in front of sprint center last night but it wouldn't work :cry:
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

construction starts april 4.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

DaveKCMO wrote:construction starts april 4.