20th Street Streetscape

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
smh
Supporter

20th Street Streetscape

Post by smh »

Does anyone happen to know anything about the 20th Street Streetscape project? I noticed in this gallery from the Sunday Star (it's image 14): http://www.kansascity.com/2010/12/10/25 ... gn-35.html

Any ideas where I might find more information?

EDIT: I found more info: http://20thstreetkc.com

This looks cool, wish I could get a more detailed view of what's to come.
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: 20th Street Streetscape

Post by DaveKCMO »

what would you like to know?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

DaveKCMO wrote: what would you like to know?
Well, ideally, I'd like to see a PDF with some pretty concept drawings of what we can expect in the future. However, I'd settle for knowing if this idea has funding and if I can really expect it to be done in the next year, because it sounds like an awesome project and I'm surprised I was completely unaware of it until this point.

Also, I'd like to know if it is really going to become a Great Street like the concept suggests. I hope so, but we'll probably have to wait and see for that. When I'm out on walks through Crossroads from Downtown I always end up turning around at 20th because I've already walked quite a distance and hustling across 20th without getting mowed down just isn't that appealing.
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

smh wrote: Well, ideally, I'd like to see a PDF with some pretty concept drawings of what we can expect in the future. However, I'd settle for knowing if this idea has funding and if I can really expect it to be done in the next year, because it sounds like an awesome project and I'm surprised I was completely unaware of it until this point.

Also, I'd like to know if it is really going to become a Great Street like the concept suggests. I hope so, but we'll probably have to wait and see for that. When I'm out on walks through Crossroads from Downtown I always end up turning around at 20th because I've already walked quite a distance and hustling across 20th without getting mowed down just isn't that appealing.
the city provided planning money this year (i believe it was about $45K) and has applied for TE funding for construction next year (as well as some existing TIF money from adjacent loft projects). the hope is that it will be done by the time the PAC opens. this blog post has some slides that offer some general concepts. basically, it's a serious road diet and "greening". the original intent is that 20th would become part of the boulevard system (not sure where that's at or if it's even still a major consideration).
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

DaveKCMO wrote: the city provided planning money this year (i believe it was about $45K) and has applied for TE funding for construction next year (as well as some existing TIF money from adjacent loft projects). the hope is that it will be done by the time the PAC opens. this blog post has some slides that offer some general concepts. basically, it's a serious road diet and "greening". the original intent is that 20th would become part of the boulevard system (not sure where that's at or if it's even still a major consideration).
Thanks for the info. It looks like a great project. 20th Street is pretty hostile as it is, this project could really create a nice space for the neighborhood. Do you think they will succeed in shutting down the extra road splits as they've proposed in the slides?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

smh wrote: Thanks for the info. It looks like a great project. 20th Street is pretty hostile as it is, this project could really create a nice space for the neighborhood. Do you think they will succeed in shutting down the extra road splits as they've proposed in the slides?
not sure. i should probably be following this project a bit closer, but i really trust el dorado. if they can't convince public works to change, i'm not sure who else could. the last i heard, they were addressing the fire department's concerns about the road diet approach. this is fairly common when people start actually designing "complete streets" (big ass fire trucks "can't" negotiate tighter turning radii). you have to say: "look, i know you're interested in preventing deaths from fires, but many more people are killed or injured by fast-moving cars than building fires."
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Sporting Life »

Great news!  I'm really glad to see this plan moving forward.  I haven't seen much in the way of news coverage, and even a lot of the property owners around here stare blankly at me when I mention it.  Good to know that it's progressing!
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

did they decide on the "boulevard" or "planted edge" concept?  Boulevard is much more attractive
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Midtownkid wrote: did they decide on the "boulevard" or "planted edge" concept?  Boulevard is much more attractive
Seconded.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

25? wide promenade on North side
i believe they're going with two lanes of traffic + turning lane, which i would not consider a boulevard.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Regardless, it's going to look much better when it's done. It will also create a pleasant street environment that might cause some adjacent buildings to be repurposed with restaurants with outdoor seating facing the landscaping.
There is no fifth destination.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

this guy's slumping, defeated posture does not provide a positive impression of the pedestrian experience in KC:

maybe he is on his way to meet up with Seymore Green:

bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

KCMax wrote: Renderings:

http://20thstreetkc.com/2011/02/17/875

I'd like if the rendering above took the bike lane away from the street and moved it to the sidewalk.  These are often prettier and are not likely to get blocked by stupid drivers.  The wider sidewalk also doubles to allow for more congestion on the sidewalks during events where cyclists wouldn't be flying back and forth.

macnw
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by macnw »

Think bike friendly cities like Portland and San Francisco where the motto is "Share the Road"
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

Well didnt like it as much as the "boulevard" plan at first, but this plan may end up being better for pedestrians.  I imagine that tree-lined "plaza" area on the north side of 20th may end up being a place for performers and venders to gather on First Fridays.  Pretty much any thing is an improvement to the street scape around there anyway.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Midtownkid wrote: Pretty much any thing is an improvement to the street scape around there anyway.
True dat.  I like aspects of pretty much all of the renderings.  Whatever the result, it will be a great upgrade to the area.
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Sporting Life »

This will be great for the neighborhood.  Really looking forward to it.  I only wish the first rendering would pan a little to the left, revealing the future of the Midwest Hotel....
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

macnw wrote: Think bike friendly cities like Portland and San Francisco where the motto is "Share the Road"
I don't think bikers or drivers in KC really get that - I like the sidewalk lane if there's room available.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.