New convenience store/deli on 3rd street - Market3

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

New convenience store/deli on 3rd street - Market3

Post by KCLofts »

As of July 1, Scott Fitness will no longer be occupying their secondary class space on 3rd ST @ Wyandotte (the former River Market Fitness spot).  The main location at 2nd @ Wyandotte remains open.

The rumor I heard is is that a convenience store/deli, possibly open 24 hours, will be taking over the space.

If this is true, let's hope it's more Garrett's than Grand Slam.  I think the River Market is now ready to support a place like this.
Last edited by KCLofts on Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
nilsson1941
New York Life
New York Life

Re: New convenience store/deli on 3rd street??

Post by nilsson1941 »

WaWa!
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

if it was 24 hours i would support the hell out of this place. i live right around the corner and work late hours. i hope this rumor is true!
mildweed
Pad site
Pad site

Post by mildweed »

Rumor confirmed!  Just talked to the owner.  Forgot to ask about the 24h part.  The name will be Market3.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Okay, River Market, get out of your cars and support this place!
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Spoke to the guy proposing the deli/market a few weeks ago.  Is it a signed deal, now?

His plans were similar to the original Garretts at 4th and Delaware, but with a broader grocery selection.

Soups, salads and sandwiches.........quick and casual.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

i'm all for this, but isn't the City Market already a place for quick casual lunches as well as small groceries? the hours @ the City Market are the only problem for it not completely filling this void.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

yeah, seems like they could have filled the succotash or some other space with this to make the city market the true neighborhood focal point it is (and should be).  but yeah, kudos for the effort, i hope it's awesome.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

chrizow wrote: yeah, seems like they could have filled the succotash or some other space with this to make the city market the true neighborhood focal point it is (and should be).  but yeah, kudos for the effort, i hope it's awesome.
Succotash was filled by Bloom! Bakery, but I get what you're saying.  (Go to Bloom if you haven't yet.  Killer croissants, and everything else is too good.)

I understand the deli/grocery guy is getting a pretty killer rent deal where he's going.  Big motivation.  
Last edited by loftguy on Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

mildweed wrote: Rumor confirmed!  Just talked to the owner.  Forgot to ask about the 24h part.  The name will be Market3.

Yes! Yes! Yes! One more reason to leave the car in the lot and do some walking.

Also, I wonder if they'll sell beer. If they do, they should refrain from selling CAMO, imo. Man, this is going to be great.
Last edited by smh on Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

chrizow wrote: yeah, seems like they could have filled the succotash or some other space with this to make the city market the true neighborhood focal point it is (and should be).  but yeah, kudos for the effort, i hope it's awesome.
I agree. It seems like the vendors in the City Market aren't willing to really make an honest effort at building critical after-hours mass. It could be branded as an ethnic food destination, with Indian, Chinese, Ethiopian, Italian, Middle Eastern, Vietnamese and American food all mixed in with the some ethnic groceries. The City Market is a strange mix between a traditional farmers market and a lunch counter market, like North Market (Columbus) or Lexington Market (Baltimore), and the latter are usually only daytime affairs. Problem for us is that the City Market really is the center of the River Market, so activating that space would be huge. Kudos to Winslow's for having life after dark in the City Market, even if it is mostly bikers.

I find it really sad that, in a neighborhood with a decent residential density, I hardly ever see neighbors out supporting the businesses. If it wasn't for dogs, nobody would be out on the streets and living in the Market would be no different from the suburbs. We still have a lot of education to do.

This store will be handy and despite the reality that the City Market can cover your needs, the perception will change with a convenient stop. There are gaps currently, thanks to Wine Cellar and Discounts Unlimited leaving, so this will allow toiletries and booze back in. I don't think it'll do much else, though, since 3rd Street has most buildings turning their backs toward it, or facing it with parking. Would love to see small shops like this on 2nd, and of course would love to see the City Market be an all hours destination.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Opening mid-August. Sounds pretty slick. I'll certainly do my best to patronize the place. Hope it sticks around.

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/07/29/21 ... tting.html
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
nilsson1941
New York Life
New York Life

Post by nilsson1941 »

I honestly believe that if it is quality, and that a lot of money/time/effort was put into it, it will do great. If it is half assed in any way, it will fail.
barkerr
New York Life
New York Life

Post by barkerr »

nilsson1941 wrote: I honestly believe that if it is quality, and that a lot of money/time/effort was put into it, it will do great. If it is half assed in any way, it will fail.
Correct.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

please, mr independent grocer, keep consistent business hours!
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Sounds like he has the right idea of what the area needs and is a resident himself.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Re: New convenience store/deli on 3rd street - Market3

Post by taxi »

He is also very smart. This place will be good and do well.
"Hit it, lick it, split it and quit it." -James Brown
szazzy
Pad site
Pad site

Post by szazzy »

loftguy wrote: Succotash was filled by Bloom! Bakery, but I get what you're saying.  (Go to Bloom if you haven't yet.  Killer croissants, and everything else is too good.)

I understand the deli/grocery guy is getting a pretty killer rent deal where he's going.  Big motivation.  
Bloom! Bakery is great. Catch them as they're closing, and they'll sometimes give you 2 for 1 on what they haven't sold that day. The Almond Croissants are excellent even at that point. Yesterday grabbed some Potato Bread from Bloom!, next door at Carollo's Double Smoked Bacon at 3.99 pound (that's not bad at all considering groceries and what you get), had 3 tomatoes from last Sunday I grabbed at the Market along with some arugala, some basil from my own plants - boom. Best BLT ever. Eat that Peanut.

I love that this convenience store/deli is going in. If they can compete with Grand Slam on prices, I'll go here a few times a week. If they have 24 hour service, I will be there every day.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

szazzy wrote: Bloom! Bakery is great. Catch them as they're closing, and they'll sometimes give you 2 for 1 on what they haven't sold that day. The Almond Croissants are excellent even at that point. Yesterday grabbed some Potato Bread from Bloom!, next door at Carollo's Double Smoked Bacon at 3.99 pound (that's not bad at all considering groceries and what you get), had 3 tomatoes from last Sunday I grabbed at the Market along with some arugala, some basil from my own plants - boom. Best BLT ever. Eat that Peanut.
Stories like this illustrate the point I've always been trying to drive home about the neighborhood: that with a little initiative, you could get most everything you needed right here and the experience would be rewarding. The convenience store will fill a gap when it comes to later hours and staples, but as a neighborhood we need to learn to do more stuff like szazzy did. We've got a great mix of services in the neighborhood that also need our support. Spend a couple of extra dollars and minutes and eat up the River Market!
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

staubio wrote: Stories like this illustrate the point I've always been trying to drive home about the neighborhood: that with a little initiative, you could get most everything you needed right here and the experience would be rewarding. The convenience store will fill a gap when it comes to later hours and staples, but as a neighborhood we need to learn to do more stuff like szazzy did. We've got a great mix of services in the neighborhood that also need our support. Spend a couple of extra dollars and minutes and eat up the River Market!
What is being done as a neighborhood to market the amenities to RM residents? Is there a RM neighborhood facebook fan page, Twitter that markets the local businesses similar to how shopping centers market? Many residents are probably used to driving to Target or Cosentino's so it's going to be a shift in ideas about shopping local.

Everyone needs to keep in mind that population statistic...only 1,500 residents in the entire neighborhood. if the number was up around 5,000 there wouldn't be even be an issue supporting neighborhood retail.