OFFICIAL - Federal Reserve HQ construction

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: OFFICIAL - Federal Reserve HQ construction

Post by trailerkid »

tat2kc wrote: I think the security requirements for a FRB is a bit stricter than a  standard GSA building, for one.
Not sure what will make this building fronting Main Street any more secure than what they're planning with the GSA complex.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

there are cuts in the asphalt on the PVP side of 27th and main for an island. that should dramatically improve pedestrian safety on the west side of the main street.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

I think the main street side will have a higher and more secure wall than what is there now.  I'm sure there won't be much pedestrian access from that side if any.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

tat2kc wrote: I think the main street side will have a higher and more secure wall than what is there now.  I'm sure there won't be much pedestrian access from that side if any.
i wasn't really referring to pedestrian access to this building, just a thruway along main street. before, there wasn't even a complete sidewalk on either side of main street, let alone a proper crosswalk on the PVP side.
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i discovered this pleasant surprise to the south of the new fed building. the street in the foreground is wyandotte.

moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

This is a cool pedestrian byway.  This is looking up from Wyandotte to the now dead-end Baltimore.  There is an identical nicely curved and illuminated stairway going up from Main to Baltimore. 
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Prediction:  The new Penn Valley East skateboard park.
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

Probably.  At least until the new Fed Security detail gets in there.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The swooshing arc of stone on the attic gives it a monumental classical sense.  Its almost like they built an updated version of 10th & Grand.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

It sucks it was built there, instead of just east of the Sprint Center.  Or just north of it.

That said, it's a pretty impressive building and aesthetic, IMO.  Looks great on that bluff.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Maitre D wrote: It sucks it was built there, instead of just east of the Sprint Center.  Or just north of it.

That said, it's a pretty impressive building and aesthetic, IMO.  Looks great on that bluff.
You know, that brings up a good point.  I wonder how many of the same people that were freaking out over the relocation of the fed reserve to crown center are the same ones that think the GSA should not be in the east loop.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

GRID wrote: You know, that brings up a good point.  I wonder how many of the same people that were freaking out over the relocation of the fed reserve to crown center are the same ones that think the GSA should not be in the east loop.
it's not necessarily where they're built, it's HOW.  the GSA would be awesome in the east loop.  just not all bloated out like gov buildings are these days.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

GRID wrote: You know, that brings up a good point.  I wonder how many of the same people that were freaking out over the relocation of the fed reserve to crown center are the same ones that think the GSA should not be in the east loop.
Apples and oranges example - the Fed moving out = net increase in residents that can move into a neighborhood that desperately needs residents that don't live in the park.  The GSA moving in = net decrease in the residents that can move into a neighborhood that desperately needs residents. 
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

Lexexa, how is the GSA really going to remove the option of living down there?

It's a bit bulky but man, there's empty space all over the east side.  there's no way GSA is precluding residences, other factors must be.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

Maitre D wrote: Lexexa, how is the GSA really going to remove the option of living down there?

It's a bit bulky but man, there's empty space all over the east side.  there's no way GSA is precluding residences, other factors must be.
if you plop something down in four blocks that could be squeezed in to one then you've given up opportunity cost of future density.

this mentality of "something is better then nothing" is akin to poor planning.  build as dense as one can right now while saving room for future dense development.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

Not sure I agree.  If we're talking about prime land that is tremendously limited in availability, I'm totally with you.

Crap in NYC, SF, Chicago, even the Plaza:  doesn't make sense.

But east side of DT Kansas City?  Beggars can't be choosers, right?

LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Maitre D wrote: Lexexa, how is the GSA really going to remove the option of living down there?

For the reasons Kard has mentioned.  We have already seen the number of planned residential spaces dramatically lowered to make room for acres of 9-4, four-day-a-week, cheap-skate bureaucrats and their cars.  Unless the momentum swings, I would be surprised if we see more than a few hundred units of residential built by the time this gets done.  Which means the crackheads and hos will continue to feel perfectly comfortable lounging on the east side of the loop.  
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

If there was truly demand for living there, wouldn't a firm build units on those "crackhead & ho" hangout spots?

I'm just guessing that the EV project has been scaled back b/c there isnt the demand they originally estimated, not b/c those cheapskate bureaucrats (good line BTW) are working there.

LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Maitre D wrote: If there was truly demand for living there, wouldn't a firm build units on those "crackhead & ho" hangout spots?

I'm just guessing that the EV project has been scaled back b/c there isnt the demand they originally estimated, not b/c those cheapskate bureaucrats (good line BTW) are working there.
It was scaled back when they announed they needed four blocks for federal garages and lawns.