OFFICIAL - Federal Reserve HQ construction

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: OFFICIAL - Federal Reserve HQ construction

Post by GRID »

Update.  I'm testing my watermarking for the new website, just try to ignore or comment on it if you want.

eliphar17
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by eliphar17 »

Booo! Promote copyright violation! Up with Internet piracy!

...or you could just make the photos smaller (maybe 800x600 or 600x450) so they aren't as useful to those who would like to steal them.
Last edited by eliphar17 on Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

KC agency will consider new tax abatements

The Planned Industrial Expansion Authority on Friday will consider establishing two new tax abatement districts.

Authorization is requested for a proposed redevelopment of the former Trinity Lutheran Hospital next to the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City's new Midtown headquarters, which is scheduled to open in 2008.

Park Reserve LLC wants to buy and convert hospital buildings into residential condominiums and assisted living for senior citizens. Redevelopers include the family of Wayne Reeder, which owns The View condos on the north end of Downtown, and Bob Mayer, an adviser to the Reeders on The View.

The PIEA could authorize a second general development plan at 14th Street and Topping Road....

Also on the PIEA's agenda:

* An extraordinary tax abatement request for a proposed redevelopment of the former U.S. Courthouse at 811 Grand Blvd. The Alexander Co. of Madison, Wis. wants to turn the now-vacant building into residential condos. The project would resemble Alexander's rehab of the Professional Building, 1103 Grand Blvd.
    * Tax abatement requests for 1656 Washington St., the Taylor Building at 1701 Walnut St. and 1801-21 Broadway.
    * A blight study and general development plan request for the second amendment to the Stuart Hall-HD Lee PIEA Area.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
CityLiving
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by CityLiving »

KCMax wrote: KC agency will consider new tax abatements

The Planned Industrial Expansion Authority on Friday will consider establishing two new tax abatement districts.

Authorization is requested for a proposed redevelopment of the former Trinity Lutheran Hospital next to the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City's new Midtown headquarters, which is scheduled to open in 2008.

Park Reserve LLC wants to buy and convert hospital buildings into residential condominiums and assisted living for senior citizens. Redevelopers include the family of Wayne Reeder, which owns The View condos on the north end of Downtown, and Bob Mayer, an adviser to the Reeders on The View.

The PIEA could authorize a second general development plan at 14th Street and Topping Road....

* An extraordinary tax abatement request for a proposed redevelopment of the former U.S. Courthouse at 811 Grand Blvd. The Alexander Co. of Madison, Wis. wants to turn the now-vacant building into residential condos. The project would resemble Alexander's rehab of the Professional Building, 1103 Grand Blvd.
    * Tax abatement requests for 1656 Washington St., the Taylor Building at 1701 Walnut St. and 1801-21 Broadway.
    * A blight study and general development plan request for the second amendment to the Stuart Hall-HD Lee PIEA Area.
Now that Kansas City has the Funk, will these happen?  They're not TIFs, but they are tax incentives.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Depends on whether the numbers work, I imagine.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
swampranger
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by swampranger »

KCMax wrote: KC agency will consider new tax abatements

Of all these, I hope the courthouse project gets the go. I like what the alexander co. did for the professional building, and they have an excellent philosophy of maintaining or restoring historic structures. If only they could get a hold of the old old opera house.  They'd at least do something creative while saving the facade.
"We must scrupulously guard the civil rights and civil liberties of all citizens, whatever their background. We must remember that any oppression, any injustice, any hatred, is a wedge designed to attack our civilization."
-- Franklin Roosevelt
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The tax abatements will probably be approved by the Council before Funkhouser and the new council members take office.
There is no fifth destination.
Downtowner
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Downtowner »

anyone know what's going on with the top of this building? One end is huge metal framing. the other is an odd construction shape---totally different than the basic floor structures below.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Its the penthouse mechanical level.  It will be enclosed by the same limestone as the rest of the building.  The building is now topped out, with the traditional evergreen tree and flag having been hoisted to the top.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

aerial update:

moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

I noticed when driving south over the KC Terminal Viaduct  how the design of the windows going into the top floor echos those windows in the original museum buildings on the Liberty Memorial.
ShowMeKC
Penntower
Penntower

Post by ShowMeKC »

Update:
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Where did you get the lower picture from?  Top of the liberty memorial? 
ShowMeKC
Penntower
Penntower

Post by ShowMeKC »

yup, the first was later in the day when I rode down here before rush hour. The second (from the tower) was earlier in the day when I was here on a field trip.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Some exterior lighting along the  curve of the penthouse shining onto the stone would be nice as long as it was not brighter than the LM.
Downtowner
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Downtowner »

Isn't this new building the same height as the old? Looks to be the same number of floors, just wider. What a colossal investment for more setback from the road and a big parking lot attached to the back.
KansasCityChiefs
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KansasCityChiefs »

This one is 14 stories I believe. The old one is 21 stories. It's a bit shorter.
Kansas City, Bleeding red since 1963.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Downtowner wrote: Isn't this new building the same height as the old? Looks to be the same number of floors, just wider. What a colossal investment for more setback from the road and a big parking lot attached to the back.
The old one had "a big parking lot attached to the back" too.  They are just gaining the set back. 
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Why did this building need to go to Crown Center whereas now we're discussing a similarly scaled and secure GSA building in the East Loop? I have no problem with the location of the Fed, but everyone said that the Midtown location made more sense for the type of building while now lauding the coming of the GSA offices. 
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

I think the security requirements for a FRB is a bit stricter than a  standard GSA building, for one.  A terrorist hit on a FRB would be very traumatic, and the economy would take a major hit. Not that any attack wouldn't be bad, but the symbolism of an attack on one of the FRB's would be dramatic.  I think the other problem was the difficulty, several  years ago e asembling the property they needed.  I'm not sure what the details were, but it should be on the first few pages of the thread.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.