OFFICIAL - Federal Reserve HQ construction

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

Any word on the new building, when it will be built, any plans or info available?
macnw
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by macnw »

I thought at some point in time, city officials wanted to place the Fed along the riverfront. Seems like a dominant presence, especially for such an employer. The city needs to push these sites because they offer one thing Johnsom County cannot, riverfront location. We should be pushing these sites, let's get them cleaned up and ready to go!! We look bad in comparison to other river cities.
macnw
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by macnw »

I would agree that keeping employers within the loop is important. But I think we realize that downtown is changing. What is considered downtown? Is that only within the "loop?" Ideally, we would open our access to the riverfront by removing the loop, especially north of downtown. Not only would this open the riverfront, it would also physically make the River Market part of "downtown." But I agree with you, let's keep the Fed downtown!
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

I think it would be ridiculous to put the Fed on the riverfront. Save the riverfront park for future apartments, skate park, aquarium, etc.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
macnw
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by macnw »

I think the Fed has said that they wanted an campus style environment. Where in downtown KC are you going to offer that? They want a dominant presence, a skyscraper would be nice, but that doesn't fit the Fed's need. I think keeping the riverfront open as an option. Once people work down there, then you can encourage apt/condo/retail services.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Isn't the east side of Davis park pretty much non-developed?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

There's at least three full blocks on the eastside of Davis Park in downtown. Plenty of room for a campus.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascit ... 778071.htm

next step has been taken. They are now searching for an architect...sounds like Davis park still might be the favorite since the Fed Reserve requires open space on all 4 sides for security reasons.

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Nobody talking about them maybe going to the old hospital site on Main? Come on, I thought that was pretty big news. I can't remember the hospital name but it's the one that shut down a couple years ago....it is now a possibility as well as downtown and the riverfront.

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Just was talking to somebody about the possibility of a new fed reserve in St. Louis and they brought up a new federal law that says any new federal buildings must go in an urban downtown area. Anybody else heard this?

If that is the case, wouldn't the hospital site be ruled out? It is an urban area but not what I would consider downtown....it's south of Crown Center.

dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Looks like the Fed is indeed considering the old Trinity Hospital site. The Star reports that they have an option to buy part of it.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascit ... 800084.htm
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

This isn't a good sign......now is that law that somebody stated untrue? No way that site can be considered part of the downtown urban core by the fed's restrictive guidelines. (assuming their normal restrictiveness)

dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

perhaps the law just says central city or urban core or whatever, without specifying the CBD. Gov. Holden did make a policy that when feasible all new states offices should be in central cities, or be encouraged to move there as leases come due. but i don't know if he specified a certain radius around the CBD.

FYI, for planning purposes MARC defines the urban core pretty liberally - including the near-Northland up to Vivion Road, western Independence, NE joco, and down to 63rd St.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

Remember, this is just an option. I also believe the city is heavy promoting the loop location, including the ability to close some streets to meet the security requirements.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Barnes needs to stop courting the way overrated Bass Pro and start rubbing elbows with the feds. The Fed Reserve, unlike Bass Pro, actually belongs and fits into the loop.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

fed. reserve has 2 skyscrapers downtown they are located in, One Kansas City Place, and of course, the Federal Reserve Building, how likely would it be another 200-300ft structure is to be built? i'd be satisfied with 20 story + structures ;) (if even under 40 stories)
SonicBoi
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SonicBoi »

Just because it saus an "urban area" does not mean it is restricted to being in the loop. The urban area in KC stretches pretty far. Don't confuse urban with downtown. In addition, it also depends on how you define Downtown (legally). Under the law it may have a different definition than we are giving it. The Fed might include as far away as the Plaza as "Downtown." If any one could research this particular law and see exactly what it states (or find a news clipping that sites it), I think it would shead some light on the subject for all of us. It might say "urban area" which could include some vary distant places from Downtown.
SonicBoi
1 Samuel 18:3-4: And Jonathan made a covenant with David because he loved him as himself. Jonathan took off the robe he was wearing and gave it to David, along with his tunic, and even his sword, his bow and his belt.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

yeah the way the guy stated the law it had the words downtown in it...but this is all 3rd tier info....so who knows....

Haven't we defined downtown on here? River to Crown Center......right?

I know what you are saying though and actually as long as they stay in the urban core, I'm happy.....

KCgridlock

Post by KCgridlock »

Officials will lobby Fed to keep new HQ Downtown
Jim Davis Staff Writer

Tom McDonnell, co-chairman of the Greater Downtown Development Authority, said Monday that he expects to arrange a meeting this week with Tom Hoenig, president of the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, to lobby the bank to build a new headquarters on the east side of Ilus W. Davis Park in Downtown.

Speaking at the authority's monthly meeting, McDonnell called the Hoenig meeting the first step in a campaign to keep the Fed near its current headquarters at 925 Grand Blvd. The bank, which has outgrown that building, began surveying the area for a new location more than a year ago.

McDonnell said Kansas City Mayor Kay Barnes also would meet with Hoenig.

Other authority members urged McDonnell to act quickly to discourage the Fed from continuing to explore moving to the former Trinity Lutheran Hospital campus around 30th Street and Baltimore Avenue in Midtown. The hospital closed in November 2001. The Fed has an option to buy that property.

A spokesman for the Kansas City Fed could not be reached for comment. The Federal Reserve Board will have final say about a move.

Jonathan Kemper, CEO of Commerce Bank's Kansas City region, said the Midtown location would inconvenience Commerce, whose headquarters at 1000 Walnut St. is two blocks from the Fed's current headquarters. Commerce, the largest bank based in Kansas City, exchanges a large volume of paper with the Fed.

Kemper said that losing the Fed would cripple Downtown and detract from its status as a financial center.

Vicki Noteis, Kansas City's development director, said she gave Kansas City Fed officials new information about the Davis Park site at a meeting during the week of April 28. Noteis said she thinks the Fed's need for 15 acres could be accommodated, along with the bank's security requirements and need for street closings.

Some property in the five-square-block district probably would have to be acquired through eminent domain, Noteis said. The city would have to advance money to assemble land, she said, and the Fed would reimburse this outlay.

Andi Udris, CEO of the Economic Development Corp. of Kansas City, said the project wouldn't require any tax breaks or other public incentives.

REACH JIM DAVIS at 816-421-5900 or jdavis@bizjournals.com.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Explain to me again...Why does the Fed need a new building anyway?

I hope they keep 'em in the loop.