West Bottoms Redevelopment

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Zorobabel
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Why Can't the West Bottoms Be Redeveloped....?

Post by Zorobabel »

I've always thought it would be nice for the West Bottoms to be redeveloped into a technology park -- something akin to the riverside Neihu Technology Park in Taipei, an area of similar size and geography (effectively a flood plain) to the West Bottoms that currently hosts about 4,000 companies and 100,000 IT workers.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

FangKC wrote:Worker killed in building collapse in West Bottoms

http://www.kmbc.com/news/kansas-city/em ... z2RdWmz1gp
The address given was 1225 W. Eighth Street. Why were they tearing down this building. It looks fine to me.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=1225+W+8 ... .16,,0,0.6
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

FangKC wrote:
FangKC wrote:Worker killed in building collapse in West Bottoms

http://www.kmbc.com/news/kansas-city/em ... z2RdWmz1gp
The address given was 1225 W. Eighth Street. Why were they tearing down this building. It looks fine to me. It's the four-story brick building on the corner.

http://fox4kc.com/2013/04/26/worker-kil ... -accident/

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=1225+W+8 ... ,,0,-10.23
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

kboish wrote:I have heard that a soccer field complex is pretty close to coming to fruition down in the west bottoms with some of Bill Haw's property. Not sure if this is on the KCK side or MO side. I only mention that b/c it could be where they are trying to put the USMNT training facility.
The original plan was for youth soccer, but it may have evolved at this point.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

That building housed a collection of vintage recording equipment, audio-electronics and instruments. Cinder-block, solid enough to keep all of those valuables dry for years. I'd say it fell to plans.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

24 burger diner coming to West Bottoms - "Rockstar Burgers"

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/09/09/44 ... omers.html
gem
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by gem »

KCMax wrote:24 burger diner coming to West Bottoms - "Rockstar Burgers"

Here's an image of the building and a little more information on "Rockstar Burgers".

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/09/03/44 ... urant.html
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

KCMax wrote:24 burger diner coming to West Bottoms - "Rockstar Burgers"

That sounds great on the surface. Does anyone know if there will be a liquor license? Grandma's next door is pretty depressing, and I wouldn't be shocked if it is a front for a meth business, but at least there is a bit of momentum for that corner. Voltaire has become one of my favorite restaurants in town, and I would probably hit up the Genessee Royale more if it were open for dinner.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Developer Adam Jones is ready to grow his biggest project yet
Adam Jones breezes into the West Bottoms building, which he co-owns with Jeff Krum, CFO of Boulevard Brewing Co. The Hobbs is the seven-story centerpiece of Jones' three decades spent remaking — often with his own hands — buildings and even whole blocks in the West Bottoms, the West Side and the Crossroads.

On the upper floors are 40 art studios, and on the lower floors, a series of high-profile nonprofit nameplates: Ripple Glass, Make It Right, Bridging the Gap, Metropolitan Energy Center. The first floor has been transformed into an event space.

"When we moved down here, it was no man's land," Jones, 53, says of the building he bought with Krum in 1997. "Now, the city has advanced socially and culturally. People understand this place is a lot better and are willing to take risks."

Developer Wayne Reeder is spending $30 million to redevelop three buildings, including a nine-story property at 933 Mulberry that he wants to turn into nearly 200 apartments. The Missouri Department of Transportation replaced the 12th Street bridge viaduct in July. The sidewalks and curbs in front of the Hobbs are among the dozens of blocks bettered by newly poured concrete.
Cool piece on Jones, who has done a ton for downtown.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I was interested to see the mention of the redevelopment of the old Heim Brewery buildings in the East Bottoms.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

KCMax wrote:Developer Adam Jones is ready to grow his biggest project yet
Adam Jones breezes into the West Bottoms building, which he co-owns with Jeff Krum, CFO of Boulevard Brewing Co. The Hobbs is the seven-story centerpiece of Jones' three decades spent remaking — often with his own hands — buildings and even whole blocks in the West Bottoms, the West Side and the Crossroads.

On the upper floors are 40 art studios, and on the lower floors, a series of high-profile nonprofit nameplates: Ripple Glass, Make It Right, Bridging the Gap, Metropolitan Energy Center. The first floor has been transformed into an event space.

"When we moved down here, it was no man's land," Jones, 53, says of the building he bought with Krum in 1997. "Now, the city has advanced socially and culturally. People understand this place is a lot better and are willing to take risks."

Developer Wayne Reeder is spending $30 million to redevelop three buildings, including a nine-story property at 933 Mulberry that he wants to turn into nearly 200 apartments. The Missouri Department of Transportation replaced the 12th Street bridge viaduct in July. The sidewalks and curbs in front of the Hobbs are among the dozens of blocks bettered by newly poured concrete.
Cool piece on Jones, who has done a ton for downtown.
Adam has created a lot of things that make this city special. It would tire out the average person, just to read a summary.

He's an idea maven and he has made smart and solid partnerships.

Fierce good.

Don't give him any awards though. He hasn't got time to pick them up...
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Totally impressed by the guy. Does he have a wikipedia page? Love to see the complete history of his projects.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

grovester wrote:Totally impressed by the guy. Does he have a wikipedia page? Love to see the complete history of his projects.

Someday someone will corrall him long enough to capture most of it from him.

He probably couldn't do it in a day, though.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

loftguy wrote:
grovester wrote:Totally impressed by the guy. Does he have a wikipedia page? Love to see the complete history of his projects.

Someday someone will corrall him long enough to capture most of it from him.

He probably couldn't do it in a day, though.
We got him to speak to an AIA leadership group I was in. We walked into Foundation, and he started talking unprompted. 45 minutes later he finished talking and we all filed out.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Walkability to the Bottoms needs an enormous improvement before I care to spread downtown development emphasis to yet another neighborhood.

Decided to check out The Ship on Saturday and two two different walking routes not named 12th street bridge which I already knew would be horrible...one down 6th street and on the way back Beardsley to 17th....both are harrowing at best. Although I will say the north part of Beardsley after coming off 6th street had a nice wide new sidewalk. Seemed like it was a sidewalk to nowhere but it was a start.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The 12th Street bridge is horrible for the pedestrian. The sidewalks are way too narrow.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

FangKC wrote:The 12th Street bridge is horrible for the pedestrian. The sidewalks are way too narrow.

Which is why I tried two other ways. Equally poor.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Rebuild the 9th St incline! Make getting down to the WB a thrill ride.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

Maybe I missed this in another thread, but it seems to be a pretty great idea for development in the West Bottoms.
ut the American Royal has gone another step and laid out an ambitious idea to re-energize the entire area. The vision would utilize the new event center as the engine of redevelopment that anchors a broader community effort to attract agricultural and animal health headquarters to the area as well as epicurean retail shops and farm-to-table restaurants.

The vision imagines “opportunities for micro farms, cottage dairies, creameries, specialty food shops, wine tasting rooms, year-round farmers markets, juice shops, bakeries, candle makers, etc.” Where better to connect a neighborhood to fresh food and events than the West Bottoms of Kansas City?

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/opinion/reade ... rylink=cpy