OFFICIAL - KC Star Printing Press

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: OFFICIAL - KC Star Printing Press

Post by WoodDraw »

I never liked this building at all. I think it’s going to be super expensive to turn into anything people here are talking about.

I think in the long run it will be demolished. It would be cheaper to build as new almost anything.

Don’t soccer stadiums run north south?

I don’t see the Royals looking here.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

shinatoo wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:45 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:55 pm What do you lose if you use the Star building as the 3B concourse and go east? Can you avoid taking down the Uhaul building? It’s the only tall building I can remember.
U Haul building would be 2nd base. Printing press would be 2 of 6 blocks you would have to put together, but I like the idea. It won't happen. Lucas replied to the KCUR tweet with "Nah".
Urban Soccer on the other hand....

St. Louis’s $460 million privately financed downtown soccer stadium

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ksdk.c ... e258ee14f5
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Building a new stadium for sporting in the crossroads Will be a hard shout, but I could see this location working. You can make it compact, add their offices, bars, and stores to create year around business.

Breweries around there would probably be up. No one likes the dead star.
Walker
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Walker »

Indoor Market Place. The high ceiling and glass would make it feel like the great outdoors without climate control issues.

It could like the Markthal

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I expect it a portion of the building will be turned into a mini-storage center.
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

It's so damn sad to see the decline of The Star. They hired me right out of college in 2006 as a page designer so they could make the most of their new presses and colorful redesign. Of course, as soon as the grand opening confetti was swept away, the cutbacks started. The monthly payment on a $199 million printing press was, no doubt, an eye-popping figure. I was laid off in September of 2008. So many hard-working journalists and production staff, who poured their hearts into providing the best news coverage in Kansas City, have been let go thanks to absolutely disastrous management since then.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

FangKC wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:58 pm I expect it a portion of the building will be turned into a mini-storage center.
It would be a place to store large printing presses.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

FangKC wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:58 pm I expect it a portion of the building will be turned into a mini-storage center.
Unironically, one of their paper storage buildings was turned into just this
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

this would be a perfect building to retrofit into a natural history museum
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

I like the idea of a new museum, especially a natural history museum like what the KC Museum was/is. Perhaps they can incorporate the steam boat Arabia stuff and other exhibits about the history of the area pre-Colombian through today. Would love to have another tourist place that would be a regional attraction
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

I have always wanted to open up a natural history museum that would have animals that didn't make it onto Noah's ark. A fun contrast to the Creation Museum in KY. This would be a good place for it.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

From former KC Star reporter Jim Fitzpatrick's blog.

https://jimmycsays.com/2020/11/11/the-c ... st-jumped/
tskev
Ambassador

Post by tskev »

Interesting thought, but I don't see any way in which a baseball stadium could fit there. You'd need at least two other blocks of parcels, right? A stadium would need 17th st to the highway and Grand to Locust to just fit the stadium without any type of parking structure.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Rebuild the Jackson County jail elsewhere?
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

It would be very difficult to build a stadium where the Print bldg is now. Yes you could use the surface lots for parking and creation of garages but even then you would have to level blocks of buildings to the immediate South and East just to fit it in there. You have the highway trench to the North. Maybe if they cap 670, there could be some additional usable ground gained for facilities of some sort, But I do not see that happening.

Honestly the East Villiage is the best spot logistically, even if perhaps the views are not the best but the entire area could be developed around it and you would not even notice :)

My preference would have been a location in the Crossroads, the site off Grand, just North of Crown Center. But I'd be very happy with East Village
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

tskev wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:04 am Interesting thought, but I don't see any way in which a baseball stadium could fit there. You'd need at least two other blocks of parcels, right? A stadium would need 17th st to the highway and Grand to Locust to just fit the stadium without any type of parking structure.
the smallest stadium in the MLB would need four city blocks.
Walker
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Walker »

Sounds like his article is based off of her later corrected statements. I doubt baseball goes here. I do agree that a much much smaller stadium should be built.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

While the location would be better than east village, I think this is just such a stupid idea because there is already a very large, modern building there. Use the star building for something else. For the love of god do not tear it down for any reason. KC has so much land to build on. Tearing anything down is just dumb, especially a unique and large high profile building like that. I like the idea of something like Markthal in Rotterdam. I have been there, it's amazing. I just don't know if KC could support something like that. Rotterdam and KC are different worlds even though they are about the same size. But there has to be some way to re-purpose that building.

If you build a stadium there, the east village would probably be parking lots forever for the stadiums. I still really wonder if KC should put a stadium downtown at all and I was the biggest support of it in the past. Even in DC, the stadium really has almost no impact and it's now surrounded by dozens of blocks of 12 story buildings. The stadium itself is the deadest part of the Navy Yard. Even in DC it's taking a long time to replace all the surface parking lots that stadium created and probably 20% take metro to the dc stadium. The Navy Yard has also had at least a dozen tower cranes up now non stop since the stadium was built. That's not likely in KC under any scenario. KC will be like Cleveland or Pittsburgh where basically a couple of suburban hotels have gone up. The Navy Yard is popular not because of the stadium, but because DC is gentrifying industrial areas like that. Same in any other city. Even the stadiums in the most vibrant cities are just giant dead zones except for before and after games which is mostly just traffic. And most cities have real "mass" transit and highway infrastructure able to handle a stadium. KC streetcar would be overwhelmed by just those parking in midtown etc let alone no regional transit. And while KC has a freaking shit ton of freeway lanes entering downtown, the way they interact with downtown streets is a disaster. It would take a few hundred million to fix the highways to accommodate stadium traffic.

I guess I'm just thinking that KC should just keep the sports complex where it is and some day build a light rail line down I-70 and clean up the entire I-70 corridor a bit. That would be a much better investment. Turn the star building into something cool and continue to develop downtown block by block. That's my opinion anyway. But if KC pulls off a downtown park, that will be fun too.
Major KC Fan
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Major KC Fan »

The stadium proposal that incorporated apartments/condos around it in the East Village could help to enliven the “dead zone” experience cited. Smartly tying it into a corridor stretching from the convention center through the P&L and T-Mobile Center would help. The now two blocks north and east of the T-Mobile Center would be crucial in such a plan—Copaken are you listening?
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

The amount of empty space in the east village is less than it appears. The stadium alone would fill in most of it, so I don't think we need to worry too much about eternal surface lots.