Seiden's Furs Appears to Be Closing

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
barkerr
New York Life
New York Life

Re: Seiden's Furs Appears to Be Closing

Post by barkerr »

FangKC wrote: What I've always wanted downtown is a lounge/salon of sorts that sells tea, coffee, beer, wine in a rathskellar-like setting with some new and used books, magazines,  and music CDs for sale, and a small stage for things like spoken word readings, light cabaret, alternative/folk singers, and comedians.  A place with lots of tables and chairs, banquettes, old mismatched couches and armchairs, and coffee tables; a long old wooden bar with rails, a jukebox, pool and ping-pong tables, darts, pinball, etc.  The walls would be bare brick with lots of big posters and antique signs.  It would be like a social gathering place/downtown living room.  A place downtown residents could hang out and meet each other.  It would also operate as an all-night diner.

The old Washington Street Station building would have been perfect, but it was torn down.

And I'd like someone else to operate it because I don't have the funds or energy to do it.  But, if I had a lot of money, this is what I would create.  Imagine a combination of Westport Flea Market, Chubby's, Balanca's, Bar Natasha, Tanner's, The Quaff, and the Peanut set in Spivey's Book Store.

FANG--This sounds exactly like Antiquarium Books in Omaha. I'm not sure it's there anymore.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

cdm2p wrote: Fang - do you have pictures showing pictures of old roof signs in KC?  I'm looking for pictures that might show the something like that.
Cdm2p, I've created a thread devoted to KC advertising and signs. You should find what you are looking for there. :-)

http://forum.kcrag.com/http://www.kcrag ... 48#p287748
There is no fifth destination.
HydeParker
Pad site
Pad site

Post by HydeParker »

Just drove by this place and it appears to have been taken over already ?  Got a great display with pink lights and other fun stuff (drove by too fast).  DOes anyone know what is up ?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It appears that for the close-out sale they have spruced things up a bit and are going all out with their window decorations.  It's very campy I must say.   :P  Tosspot needs to get over there and capture the magic. ;-)
Sussudio

Post by Sussudio »

I very much miss signage. One thing I'm not thrilled about downtown right now is the flat buildings that you can't see what business is occupying it until you look it head on.

I don't like fur stores personally and am not sad to see it go. The stuff inside always looked junky and tacky. But maybe it's hip to be old school. I don't know.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i refuse to believe seiden's wasn't a front for something.
Sussudio

Post by Sussudio »

Who owned it? If it was an Italian man I'm sure he was dabbling here and there.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Sussudio wrote: Who owned it? If it was an Italian man I'm sure he was dabbling here and there.
Yes, because all Italian men are Tony Soprano.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
Sussudio

Post by Sussudio »

Kansas City used to be huge with organized Italian crime. Especially the River Market area. So yes, you're all related to Tony Soprano:)
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The windows have been cleared out of the mannequins.
GuyInLenexa
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by GuyInLenexa »

OMG where will I put my fox stole for summer storage????
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

GuyInLenexa wrote: OMG where will I put my fox stole for summer storage????
Back on the fox!  Wait....too late.
Gretz
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Gretz »

chrizow wrote: i refuse to believe seiden's wasn't a front for something.
I always imagined (less sinisterly) some ancient flapper that just refused to die stubbornly clinging to the fur business well into her nineties, reminding her of her youth in a time where the city was much more vibrant and people bought things like "fox stoles."  The periods where the place was in disrepair, I imagined to be stints in the hospital or nursing home for our ancient proprietor.  Maybe she finally kicked it or is permanently incapacitated, and her descendants/executor can only now close the completely defunct business.  Too bad I never got a chance to hawk my great grandmother (one such encourageable old school flapper)'s quite impressive, dated collection of furs before they closed up shop...
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Maybe they'll demolish the building and put in a gas station!
Sussudio

Post by Sussudio »

Gretz wrote: I always imagined (less sinisterly) some ancient flapper that just refused to die stubbornly clinging to the fur business well into her nineties, reminding her of her youth in a time where the city was much more vibrant and people bought things like "fox stoles."  The periods where the place was in disrepair, I imagined to be stints in the hospital or nursing home for our ancient proprietor.  Maybe she finally kicked it or is permanently incapacitated, and her descendants/executor can only now close the completely defunct business.  Too bad I never got a chance to hawk my great grandmother (one such encourageable old school flapper)'s quite impressive, dated collection of furs before they closed up shop...
Yeah, I like this idea better than the mafia. I always thought the store looked a little outdated.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

bahua wrote: Maybe they'll demolish the building and put in a gas station!
You know its awful hard to find parking for Bartle events - they could really use a surface parking lot around there. 

&&&&
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Yes, it could really compliment the surface lot coming when they demolish the Lyric.
Sussudio

Post by Sussudio »

That's a little way down from Bartle. I think there are more parking garages nearby.
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

Gretz wrote: I always imagined (less sinisterly) some ancient flapper that just refused to die stubbornly clinging to the fur business well into her nineties, reminding her of her youth in a time where the city was much more vibrant and people bought things like "fox stoles."  The periods where the place was in disrepair, I imagined to be stints in the hospital or nursing home for our ancient proprietor.  Maybe she finally kicked it or is permanently incapacitated, and her descendants/executor can only now close the completely defunct business.  Too bad I never got a chance to hawk my great grandmother (one such encourageable old school flapper)'s quite impressive, dated collection of furs before they closed up shop...
http://www.legacy.com/KansasCity/DeathN ... D=86569136

You are closer then you think.  Gennie Lee Shaffer was quite the model in her younger years.  She also had one of the big write ups in the obituarysection after she passed.  She and her husband Tom lived in my building and Tom and the two sons still live there.  I believe they have 5 units between the three of them.  They had been selling all her clothes that she used to model back in the day before they started selling the fixtures and stuff.
I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Sussudio wrote: That's a little way down from Bartle. I think there are more parking garages nearby.
Fix your humor receptors.