Downtown needs larger police presence

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
CID
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Re: Downtown needs larger police presence

Post by CID »

Next time I'll take more time out of my day :)
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

I saw officer Fields from the bike unit and his partner at Cupini's tonight.  They left in a regular patrol car, and I saw them again near the Sprint Center, still in the car.

Is it too cold for them now?
Gretz
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Gretz »

Happy to say, I just saw the KCMO bike patrol cruise by my place as I was walking up at 11th and Pennsylvania, Case park bound at 12:20am.  First time I've seen a cop at this intersection in my tenure here: two years and change.  That is all.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

I recall seeing KCPD foot patrol when streetcar started running but not at all lately. Are they still active downtown on foot?

BTW, CID (bumblebee guides and cleanup crew) renewed for another 15 years. Worth it methinks but not a replacement for police presence.
https://cityscenekc.com/cid-renewed-bum ... ough-2034/

As midtown/downtown makes a comeback, time to get cops out of cars and on the streets. Haven't seen the horseback cops for a while either, which used to be around Plaza/Mill Creek Park.
Last edited by earthling on Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yes they are....I can't say I see them a lot though
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

There was a cop hanging around the Union Station streetcar stop on July 4 in the morning. I gathered she'd gotten off the streetcar and was perhaps hanging on the platform waiting for the next one.
grecobs
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by grecobs »

Anyone have updated crime stats? Curious to see if the influx of residents downtown has led to a decrease in crime.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

smh wrote:There was a cop hanging around the Union Station streetcar stop on July 4 in the morning. I gathered she'd gotten off the streetcar and was perhaps hanging on the platform waiting for the next one.
That would be off-duty PD.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

DaveKCMO wrote:
smh wrote:There was a cop hanging around the Union Station streetcar stop on July 4 in the morning. I gathered she'd gotten off the streetcar and was perhaps hanging on the platform waiting for the next one.
Ok.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

grecobs wrote:Anyone have updated crime stats? Curious to see if the influx of residents downtown has led to a decrease in crime.
Crime was low before...an influx of residents and visitors will increase crime if anything.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCPowercat wrote:
grecobs wrote:Anyone have updated crime stats? Curious to see if the influx of residents downtown has led to a decrease in crime.
Crime was low before...an influx of residents and visitors will increase crime if anything.
Raw numbers, yes. Per capita is what should drop.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Nope. Per capital will probably go up too.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

KCPowercat wrote:Nope. Per capital will probably go up too.
if the numbers are even accurate. I've had my cars vandlized/broken into 4 times in the last year downtown, only reported it once because the police don't do anything about it.... they just let the panhandling/drugies run the neighborhood which was actually one of the biggest reasons I left downtown last month after living there most of the last decade, it's getting much worse lately...
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Come to Northeast, I've lived here for almost 14 years and I've only had a vehicle tampered with twice (both times a broken window with nothing stolen, just jerks breaking windows apparently). And I park on the street!
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

if the numbers are even accurate. I've had my cars vandlized/broken into 4 times in the last year downtown, only reported it once because the police don't do anything about it.... they just let the panhandling/drugies run the neighborhood which was actually one of the biggest reasons I left downtown last month after living there most of the last decade, it's getting much worse lately...
Out of curiosity, what part of downtown? Assuming street parking?

Certainly frustrating, and hopefully not a constant nuisance as downtown continues to grow.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

dnweava wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:Nope. Per capital will probably go up too.
Report every crime. You don't help the neighborhood by not reporting.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

When I lived downtown and followed its' crime statistics (for 7 years). I recall that vehicle theft and vehicle vandalism/break-ins were the top crimes. I moved in 2009, and stopped paying attention. I don't know if it's still the same.
benjaminkelley
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by benjaminkelley »

DaveKCMO wrote:
Is this some sort of official streetcar thing?
Last night I noticed that the off-duty police officer was parked in the no-parking zone at the end of the track, which I feel is a bad example.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

benjaminkelley wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote:
Is this some sort of official streetcar thing?
Last night I noticed that the off-duty police officer was parked in the no-parking zone at the end of the track, which I feel is a bad example.
Yes, my understanding is they circulate among the vehicles at certain times/days.