Status and future of the River Market area??

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
ToDactivist
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Status and future of the River Market area??

Post by ToDactivist »

normalthings wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:44 pm https://twitter.com/thomasinkc/status/1 ... 95872?s=21

Super block parking garage in the works at 5th & Main per Twitter. Project before municipal arts commission on the 6th.
Am aware and working it. On south side of 5th, the garage under whatever should have ingress/egress onto Indy to avoid further congestion
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Northpoint's 346 unit apartment project in Berkley Park is on CPC docket today.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Phikul Thai Bistro Taking Former Cascone’s Space in River Market
The new Phikul Thai Bistro is locating in the space where Cascone’s Grill occupied for more than 15 years at 15 E. Fifth St. next to the City Market streetcar stop.
https://cityscenekc.com/phikul-thai-bis ... er-market/
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

I guess Anton’s diner concept didnt survive? I didn’t realize it closed.

Edit: I should have read the article first...

“Cascone’s closed in 2018 and its location was taken over by Anton Kotar last year for a brief-lived healthy diner place called Estelle’s Diner. It closed in late 2019 after being in business less than a year.“
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

droopy wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:23 pm I guess Anton’s diner concept didnt survive? I didn’t realize it closed.
for a second time. the reviews disappear after July so it's been closed a while

Looks like he tried on 39th in part of 2014-15 also named after his daughter. was forced out for taking too long to open
https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... 59311.html

He was going to name a river market restaurant after his son in 2014 that didn't open

he was involved with Grinders until 2010
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

River Market West II Apartments Opening in April
The River Market West II Apartments project on Fourth Street is expected to be completed by early April, about 2 1/2 years after the 120-unit development was granted tax incentives by the city.
The clubhouse amenities will include a community kitchen and gathering space, gaming lounge, fitness studio, resident study, bike storage, workshop, dog spa and guest suite. Residents also will share an outdoor salt water pool with residents of River Market West.
In addition to River Market West II, the new Second and Delaware apartment project a couple blocks away is expected to open this summer. Plans also are in the works for another 93-unit project on Third Street, Ashland at the River Market.
https://cityscenekc.com/river-market-w ... -in-april/
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Very late to the game, but I'm really disappointed with the direction of City Market. In my opinion, they should have gone more in the direction of creating a large stone plaza that you can occasionally drive on, rather than making it into a driving area that you can occasionally walk on with curbs everywhere. This seems like a big waste of money that only helps cars move around easier.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

bobbyhawks wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:35 am Very late to the game, but I'm really disappointed with the direction of City Market. In my opinion, they should have gone more in the direction of creating a large stone plaza that you can occasionally drive on, rather than making it into a driving area that you can occasionally walk on with curbs everywhere. This seems like a big waste of money that only helps cars move around easier.
Are you talking about the renovation?
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

normalthings wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:42 am
bobbyhawks wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:35 am Very late to the game, but I'm really disappointed with the direction of City Market. In my opinion, they should have gone more in the direction of creating a large stone plaza that you can occasionally drive on, rather than making it into a driving area that you can occasionally walk on with curbs everywhere. This seems like a big waste of money that only helps cars move around easier.
Are you talking about the renovation?
I'm talking about creating a through street where a pedestrian plaza used to exist. What renovations are planned?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Little hint, the pedestrian plaza was only used on weekends and it will still be closed to cars on weekends. Cars until closure still were driving through city market in a one way direction until some idiot didn't know that and went the other way. Made for a more dangerous pedestrian situation during the week than this will.

I don't see how this is a negative at all.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Loscher94 on UrbanSTL has an update on Epoch's project:
-The project for now is on hold due to various red tape and an issue regarding a parking structure.
- The mixed use project will contain a 12 story boutique hotel and a 60k square foot, 3 story indoor market place similar to Grand Central Market in Los Angeles.
- Ground breaking is planned for 2021.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Wonder if this also includes the rowhouses
ToDactivist
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ToDactivist »

normalthings wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:00 pm Loscher94 on UrbanSTL has an update on Epoch's project:
-The project for now is on hold due to various red tape and an issue regarding a parking structure.
- The mixed use project will contain a 12 story boutique hotel and a 60k square foot, 3 story indoor market place similar to Grand Central Market in Los Angeles.
Not entiirely accurate. Dont know where the 12 story came front. TBD on that height and flag.
Yes Rowhouses still in mix and will happen first. Was also delayed there waiting on massing the larger lot/plans from merchant developers who dont share our vision. Yes still a parking nut to crack even in a ToD.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

ToDactivist wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:10 pm
normalthings wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:00 pm Loscher94 on UrbanSTL has an update on Epoch's project:
Not entiirely accurate. Dont know where the 12 story came front. TBD on that height and flag.
Yes Rowhouses still in mix and will happen first. Was also delayed there waiting on massing the larger lot/plans from merchant developers who dont share our vision. Yes still a parking nut to crack even in a ToD.
Is the 3rd and Delaware office building still happening?
ToDactivist
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ToDactivist »

Still planned. Lost anchor last year when they imploded
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Hey LastGentleman, what site do you use to host your photos? They load incredibly slow for me. I don't have the same problem with other photos on this site.

Also, thank you for taking the time and effort to provide us all with these great photos.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

shinatoo wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:19 am Hey LastGentleman, what site do you use to host your photos? They load incredibly slow for me. I don't have the same problem with other photos on this site.

Also, thank you for taking the time and effort to provide us all with these great photos.
Glad you enjoy them!

I use Imgur to host everything. My best guess as to why they might take a while to load is that I don't compress them before posting, so they stay the original resolution.

I myself have never had any issues with even large pictures loading, however, so maybe it's internet related?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:35 pm
shinatoo wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:19 am Hey LastGentleman, what site do you use to host your photos? They load incredibly slow for me. I don't have the same problem with other photos on this site.

Glad you enjoy them!

I use Imgur to host everything. My best guess as to why they might take a while to load is that I don't compress them before posting, so they stay the original resolution.

I myself have never had any issues with even large pictures loading, however, so maybe it's internet related?
Most likely. keep it up!
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

The parcel where a small office building was once proposed for next to Broadway Bridge is now a EPA Superfund site.

Shostak Metal Corp. 303 Broadway