Status and future of the River Market area??

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Status and future of the River Market area??

Post by earthling »

bspecht wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:00 pm VR arcade / bar coming to 310 Oak.
https://www.doubletapkc.com/
DoubleTapKC has partnered with HTC as an affiliate. That means we get first crack at new games before they hit the market. Pretty sweet.
HTC makes VR headsets and games. Did a search and don't see any VR bars around US associated with HTC. Unique to US? Essentially an HTC beta test site?
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Good news, Freestyle Poke is re-opening in RM with new owners (not the other locations)...

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... e-pok.html
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

Estelle's Diner (Cascone's) by the City Market streetcar stop is already closed.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Woah
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

We tried it and was actually worse than old Cascone's. Didn't seem to be open much.

Downtown could use an above avg diner - classic diner with classic to foodie leaning modernized menu. From biscuits/gravy to spinach/feta omelettes. And well trained cooks that don't overcook eggs, using real butter and olive oil, not cheapest oil. City Diner has tried some but doesn't 'get it'.
ToDactivist
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ToDactivist »

earthling wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:08 am We tried it and was actually worse than old Cascone's. Didn't seem to be open much.

Downtown could use an above avg diner - classic diner with classic to foodie leaning modernized menu. From biscuits/gravy to spinach/feta omelettes. And well trained cooks that don't overcook eggs, using real butter and olive oil, not cheapest oil. City Diner has tried some but doesn't 'get it'.
While not a diner style, Farmhouse has some of the above with decently sourced ingredients...
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Yeah, Farmhouse is good upper end but I was referring to above avg diners that are a a couple notches down from Farmhouse. Basically diners that prepare a low end menu well with a few foodie leaning items. I've run across many classic diners in NYC/LA recently that are reasonably priced yet prepared well, despite high rent areas. That is, using low grade real butter (think Best Choice brand) or low grade olive oil is better than using margarine/crappy oils. Many diners around country are getting minor upgrades like that and it makes a difference to quality of food. And training cooks to give a damn, creating an environment they enjoy. Can be accomplished even with lower priced local restaurants.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Any updates with the lot behind Il lazzarone?
ToDactivist
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ToDactivist »

Riverite wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:28 pm Any updates with the lot behind Il lazzarone?
Still in flux. 7 Townhomes designed and ready but delayed due to multiple larger infill design/plans and now working thru partner to proceed. Personally I like what has been designed and looking forward to adding this -for sale residences - to the mix in the RM.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Still planning the 'boutique' hotel and indoor farmers market? Even with the influx of downtown hotels RM could use one. And if not doable condos would be great.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

ToDactivist wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:45 pm
Riverite wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:28 pm Any updates with the lot behind Il lazzarone?
Still in flux. 7 Townhomes designed and ready but delayed due to multiple larger infill design/plans and now working thru partner to proceed. Personally I like what has been designed and looking forward to adding this -for sale residences - to the mix in the RM.
Closely watching these BTW. Didn't get a response to the last email sent asking for an update, so thanks for one here.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

earthling wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:14 pm Still planning the 'boutique' hotel and indoor farmers market? Even with the influx of downtown hotels RM could use one. And if not doable condos would be great.
Would love to see a condo building go up here instead of townhomes. It’s a prime location - build dense.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

normalthings wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:28 pm
earthling wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:14 pm Still planning the 'boutique' hotel and indoor farmers market? Even with the influx of downtown hotels RM could use one. And if not doable condos would be great.
Would love to see a condo building go up here instead of townhomes. It’s a prime location - build dense.
room for both and helps complete the 2 that are already there.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

normalthings wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:28 pm
Why not some townhomes at street level and condos above and behind. Boom.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

If those 'townhomes' are like old school urban rowhouses, maybe even with stoops. Otherwise hide them behind with something in front that adds to the street vibe.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I’ve been looking into townhomes/rowhouses to buy and the one thing I dislike about the typical new construction is that their layouts are so boring- just one huge open room with two bedrooms upstairs. My current house is the same square footage as most i look at and it is just so much more interesting because of all the nooks and rooms (all be it small) that I can’t trade it for one bland room.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

albeit
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

kboish wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:19 am I’ve been looking into townhomes/rowhouses to buy and the one thing I dislike about the typical new construction is that their layouts are so boring- just one huge open room with two bedrooms upstairs. My current house is the same square footage as most i look at and it is just so much more interesting because of all the nooks and rooms (all be it small) that I can’t trade it for one bland room.
I've got some loft/condos with nooks and crannies for ya.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

taxi wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:29 pm
kboish wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:19 am I’ve been looking into townhomes/rowhouses to buy and the one thing I dislike about the typical new construction is that their layouts are so boring- just one huge open room with two bedrooms upstairs. My current house is the same square footage as most i look at and it is just so much more interesting because of all the nooks and rooms (all be it small) that I can’t trade it for one bland room.
I've got some loft/condos with nooks and crannies for ya.
Ha! That's no lie.

Can't believe those aren't snapped up yet.