Status and future of the River Market area??

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Kcfireman
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Status and future of the River Market area??

Post by Kcfireman »

I work and live in the River Market.....every Friday and Saturday night I see the same group of Teens making their way from the Public Housing of the North End (Columbus Park) under the highway to the river market.  Several time we have caught them breaking in to the pool at my building.  As well as throwing rocks at and looking in the windows of parked cars.  In my personal opinion it is a problem.....I think the public housing needs to go.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

Kcfireman wrote: I work and live in the River Market.....every Friday and Saturday night I see the same group of Teens making their way from the Public Housing of the North End (Columbus Park) under the highway to the river market.  Several time we have caught them breaking in to the pool at my building.  As well as throwing rocks at and looking in the windows of parked cars.  In my personal opinion it is a problem.....I think the public housing needs to go.
have you called the police on them?
Kcfireman
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Kcfireman »

chrizow wrote: have you called the police on them?
Yes we have.  The kids come and go....the police show up 20 minutes after the fact and do a lap around the River Market using their spotlight here and there.

I know its a much bigger problem in other areas.....but it shouldn't be a problem in the River Market.  The River Market needs to be an area thats safe for people.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

Kcfireman wrote: Yes we have.  The kids come and go....the police show up 20 minutes after the fact and do a lap around the River Market using their spotlight here and there.

I know its a much bigger problem in other areas.....but it shouldn't be a problem in the River Market.  The River Market needs to be an area thats safe for people.
You might send a note to the Downtown Community Improvement District folks about when these kids come by.  They might be able to have the "bees" in the area now that they're in the RM.  Or flag one down and talk to them about the kids.  I don't know if they have a dispatch no. or not; wouldn't hurt to find out so they could be called.  I would imagine they work closely with the police.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
kc-vino
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by kc-vino »

Kard wrote: You might send a note to the Downtown Community Improvement District folks about when these kids come by.  They might be able to have the "bees" in the area now that they're in the RM.  Or flag one down and talk to them about the kids.  I don't know if they have a dispatch no. or not; wouldn't hurt to find out so they could be called.  I would imagine they work closely with the police.
I know for a fact that they can report a crime in progress directly to the police.  They also would know who to call if they were aware of suspicious activity.  The police, I would think, would have a great deal of respect for those in the CID helping them patrol the streets.  If this city was better funded and more dense in areas you would have more cops hitting the streets just like they do.
Put your money where your mouth is...live downtown.  Get out of the car and walk, shop, and play in the city.  Don't bring a suburban attitude/lifestyle to the city, rather be apart of changing the urban fabric for the better.
Kcfireman
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Kcfireman »

Thanks I will try that.  However I am a firefighter that works in the market, so we contact the police by radio as well.  Im just worried about that one time a couple decides to go for a walk and gets attacked, it may be over before the police can respond.  That shouldn't be an issue in the River Market or any of the downtown development neighborhoods.
Stockton
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Stockton »

Kcfireman wrote: Thanks I will try that.  However I am a firefighter that works in the market, so we contact the police by radio as well.  Im just worried about that one time a couple decides to go for a walk and gets attacked, it may be over before the police can respond.  That shouldn't be an issue in the River Market or any of the downtown development neighborhoods.
What makes you think it is probable these kids would attack other people?

I live in a public housing high-rise and hang out with some of the other neighborhood kids sometimes and sometimes act like a hoodlum, but however moronic these kids may seem, I can't see them ever attacking somebody.
Kcfireman
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Kcfireman »

Stockton wrote: What makes you think it is probable these kids would attack other people?

I live in a public housing high-rise and hang out with some of the other neighborhood kids sometimes and sometimes act like a hoodlum, but however moronic these kids may seem, I can't see them ever attacking somebody.
I think we are talking about two different groups of kids.  I've already ran a triple shooting this year that involved an 18 year old male in the north end projects.  Rather they assult other people or not....they need to stay off other people's property and stop acting like a hoodlum.  It only hurts urban developments.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

KC-Vino, you asked some questions yesterday that went unanswered.  The 4 story bldg to the west of HOK is owned by a speculative investor who is looking for office tenant leases for one-half of the bldg and then he will start the renovation........good luck.  So, no bar/deli/club for now.

The HOK bldg is fully leased and occupied.  No Acorn there.

The old Meirhoffs Stained Glass bldg at 3rd and YN. was bought by the guy who owns Architectural Salvage on SW Blvd and Broadway.  He just uses this property as storage warehouse.

Finally, the old Muehleback Brewery bldg at Independence Ave. and Oak was just purchased (along with the rest of the block) by a doctor who owns the Bank of Lawson.  The doc has no plans and no schedule.  Just thought it was a good purchase.  Must be nice...............
kc-vino
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by kc-vino »

loftguy wrote: KC-Vino, you asked some questions yesterday that went unanswered.  The 4 story bldg to the west of HOK is owned by a speculative investor who is looking for office tenant leases for one-half of the bldg and then he will start the renovation........good luck.  So, no bar/deli/club for now.

The HOK bldg is fully leased and occupied.  No Acorn there.

The old Meirhoffs Stained Glass bldg at 3rd and YN. was bought by the guy who owns Architectural Salvage on SW Blvd and Broadway.  He just uses this property as storage warehouse.

Finally, the old Muehleback Brewery bldg at Independence Ave. and Oak was just purchased (along with the rest of the block) by a doctor who owns the Bank of Lawson.  The doc has no plans and no schedule.  Just thought it was a good purchase.  Must be nice...............
Thanks you Loftguy for finally addressing my question.  A couple of questions...you mentioned that the HOK building is fully occupied, then what has or will move into the ground level floor.  I heard rumors of a urban development firm, is this correct?  It is strange that areas of the rivermarket are still being used as storage and for places to sit on properties.  I would think that if places like the engineering firm on Delaware, and the Cup and Saucer can be pushed out due to very expensive rent in the area (which many have confirmed) people couldn't just sit on these properties.  It could be the case that rent in the RM has a very large range based on where you are in the market.  For instance, being on Delaware might be twice as high as owning a building on forth street or on second street.

Any news when that special effects firm will move into the building on 2nd street, just north of the old Garretts space?
Put your money where your mouth is...live downtown.  Get out of the car and walk, shop, and play in the city.  Don't bring a suburban attitude/lifestyle to the city, rather be apart of changing the urban fabric for the better.
butter_breath
New York Life
New York Life

Post by butter_breath »

If I remember right the building with the sign for a bar & grill was going for about 6 grand a month two years ago. You can find a better deal in the crossroads. If you paid 6000 a month you would have to sell about 18000  beers a month to to recieve 6000  or 600 a day for 30 days open. Now thats scary
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

butter_breath wrote: If you paid 6000 a month you would have to sell about 18000  beers a month to to recieve 6000  or 600 a day for 30 days open. Now thats scary
Bahua, sounds like you and I have work to do.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

The Opus Group, a development firm out of Minneapolis is taking the HOK space for their local office.  They were the developer of the building.

Arnold Imaging is due to move into the building on 2nd and Walnut any moment.  I think they have been delayed by needs of the business.  Too busy working to take time to move.

The rents in the market are all over the place.  There are spaces on Delaware for $9 per square foot annual, and there are others being marketed for $16 psf, with little significant difference in space.  Has more to do with owner philosophy than anything.  The Architectural Salvage space and several other underutilized spaces are owned by the occupants.  They aren't paying rent and they are watching the value of their properties increase.  Wish there was a way to motivate them to either do something to improve their property or to sell, take their profit and allow the neighborhood to continue improving.  Ah well, that conundrum affects every part of downtown.

By the way, Cup & Saucer was not pushed out by high rents.  They had locked in a very low rent rate.  They got squeezed by expansion costs, renovation expenditures, a dip in the market at just the wrong time and they were just plain tired of the hard struggle to make the business work.  Too damn bad.  They were great people and a real asset to the RM.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

i really enjoyed sitting out in the sidewalk cafe there...
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

loftguy wrote: The rents in the market are all over the place.  There are spaces on Delaware for $9 per square foot annual, and there are others being marketed for $16 psf, with little significant difference in space. 
Hell, they go even lower than that.  The ground-floor space at 210 Delaware where the architecture firm used to be -- 4,000 sq ft with a street-facing entrace, is on the market for $2950/month.  That works out to about $0.74 a square foot.  A steal for whoever lands that.  (I just pray it's someone quiet. ;) )
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Scooterj........
The $9 that I quoted is an annual cost.  .74 x 12 = $8.88 annual. 
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Oh yeah, Scooterj.....
Rumor is that the new trendy RiverMarket 3:00am club is going into that space.
Hope you sleep days..........
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

loftguy wrote: Scooterj........
The $9 that I quoted is an annual cost.   .74 x 12 = $8.88 annual. 

Durrrrr..... my bad.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

loftguy wrote: Oh yeah, Scooterj.....
Rumor is that the new trendy RiverMarket 3:00am club is going into that space.
Hope you sleep days..........
I actually almost didn't move in when I found out that Alvin Ailey was in that building, until I learned that that's just their offices and they don't actually rehearse there.  :)
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

scooterj wrote: I actually almost didn't move in when I found out that Alvin Ailey was in that building, until I learned that that's just their offices and they don't actually rehearse there.  :)
is the office underneath your loft still allowing its phones to ring interminably all night long?

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit