Status and future of the River Market area??

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Status and future of the River Market area??

Post by WoodDraw »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:22 pm But where will I park?
I can already see it now.

*Driver gets hammered and smashes into one drunk driving, injuring people*

The city: these are far too dangerous to have on the road
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

WoodDraw wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:49 am

We’ve already had drivers run into buildings too, we should just go ahead and get rid of those too while we are at it.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Jersey barrier at the ends 1-2 in middle.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Riverite wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:06 am

We’ve already had drivers run into buildings too, we should just go ahead and get rid of those too while we are at it.
Underground working and above ground cars until we can figure out how to deal with these damn people.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Deleted
Last edited by WoodDraw on Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

Anyone know what is going on at the Belger building at 5th/Grand? Workers were doing interior demo during the week and now a barrier lines the building on both streets.

Streetview:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.108789, ... 312!8i6656
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

gfenn11 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:32 am Anyone know what is going on at the Belger building at 5th/Grand? Workers were doing interior demo during the week and now a barrier lines the building on both streets.

Streetview:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.108789, ... 312!8i6656
Last I heard it was supposed to be storage units
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

Riverite wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:46 am Last I heard it was supposed to be storage units
Recent permits at this address confirm this.

KCDowntown
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

love the outdoor seating areas, adds a nice European Cafe feel. I would not be to concerned about ppl crashing into it, plus you could always trim some of the size that gets to close to traffic. But risk would be no different than a car jumping the curb and hitting someone on the sidewalk. If there is a big concern, create a weekend/evening zone where you put up traffic barriers and turn it into a pedestrian area, like what they do on Grand by Sprint(TMobile) Center during events and Wesport every weekend. You can make it work, especially if the public likes it and the merchants can band together to make it work.

But I saw the the tired old joke "but where will I park?" It's funny but also parking is needed. With increased residents to the area parking can be an issue for all businesses in the area. And make no mistake, the River Market is a Commercial/Business/Entertainment district first with residential mixed in. Parking solutions are needed. Some street Parking and maybe converting some lots to garages would be smart us of space, go vertical to maximize space and still allow for other development. The River Market, as well as other areas, need to be accessible to people from the surrounding suburbs and general Metro and region. We live in a car centric city & region. We need to address more & better public transportation, I agree, but it is not there yet. But even if we were to develop it, we still need to plan for cars and getting people to enjoy the area who can access it by cars. KC is a "western city" that is not terribly dense in terms of population, but it does have a large metro, spread out population, like the LA Metro, dominated by cars as the main mode of transport. Again not trying to piss on the idea of mass transit, but we need to ensure we strike that balance because the reality will always be both for our region.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

419 Wyandotte was recently listed on Loopnet. Developer seeking investment for a build to suite office.

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/419-Wya ... /20470605/

The rendering below was also on the listing but I do not recognize it.

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

That last pic is bridgework lofts.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

normalthings wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:53 pm Image

419 Wyandotte was recently listed on Loopnet. Developer seeking investment for a build to suite office.

normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

normalthings wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:23 pm

Paginng TOD Activist. Is this big enough for a few town homes?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

normalthings wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:48 am
normalthings wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:47 pm 5th & Main development is moving forward. Final draft of the agreement is out for council review.
Before committee this week. Agreement includes stipulations for public parking, affordable housing, a public RFP process, an no city incentives allowed.
Committee recommended Do Pass. Ordinance assigned to third read calendar. Should go to full council vote this week.

The new agreement bans the use of city incentives for these projects in exchange for giving Port KC the go-ahead to use their own.
ToDactivist
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ToDactivist »

normalthings wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:24 pm
normalthings wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:23 pm

Paginng TOD Activist. Is this big enough for a few town homes?
Yep chiming in....that is Chris Sally's property and recently listed by Halterman now. Saw it too. Surprised really that Chris went thru the exercise to design an office building when it would barely pencil out given the core/usable ratio. Although seen this elesewhere....anyway to your question, he did offer it to me to fill out with townhomes but a) wanted too much and b) it is narrower than our proposed infills and precludes garages (no biggie) and c) somewhat worried about setback to adjacent bldg (5-15') typical. So what else could this be? Great corner visibility. DGX ughfest?
ToDactivist
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ToDactivist »

normalthings wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:52 pm
normalthings wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:47 pm 5th & Main development is moving forward. Final draft of the agreement is out for council review.
Before committee this week. Agreement includes stipulations for public parking, affordable housing, a public RFP process, an no city incentives allowed.
Committee recommended Do Pass. Ordinance assigned to third read calendar. Should go to full council vote this week.

The new agreement bans the use of city incentives for these projects in exchange for giving Port KC the go-ahead to use their own.
good to see this move forward and a collective of groups on selection committee. all good I believe. density cures all(most)
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

ToDactivist wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:54 am

good to see this move forward and a collective of groups on selection committee. all good I believe. density cures all(most)
Have there been talks to involve Port KC with the Delaware Landing project?
ToDactivist
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ToDactivist »

normalthings wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:11 pm

Yes we dealt with PKC on the 3rd & Delaware proposed office bldg when we had a prospect to lease most of it. WeWork or WeDontWork maybe. Anyway as to the Townhomes we never got far enough due to parking issues mentioned earlier whereby owners of Askew/Pacific/Volker (out of towners now) encumber every space in that lot although only needing 78 spaces so permission is required. Still working that molehill, then PKC if needed.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

ToDactivist wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:59 am

Yes we dealt with PKC on the 3rd & Delaware proposed office bldg when we had a prospect to lease most of it. WeWork or WeDontWork maybe. Anyway as to the Townhomes we never got far enough due to parking issues mentioned earlier whereby owners of Askew/Pacific/Volker (out of towners now) encumber every space in that lot although only needing 78 spaces so permission is required. Still working that molehill, then PKC if needed.
2nd Deleware was built with a parking ratio passing 1.8 spots per unit (276-unit and 500+ parking spaces). There is no way imho that they are going to need that many spaces. Would it be possible to shift your current parking "leases" to his garage? Maybe partner for Deleware landing or flat out purchase the spaces from him (similar to CityClub who is selling 50 spaces).
ToDactivist
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ToDactivist »

normalthings wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:44 pm
ToDactivist wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:59 am

2nd Deleware was built with a parking ratio passing 1.8 spots per unit (276-unit and 500+ parking spaces). There is no way imho that they are going to need that many spaces. Would it be possible to shift your current parking "leases" to his garage? Maybe partner for Deleware landing or flat out purchase the spaces from him (similar to CityClub who is selling 50 spaces).
thanks and yes, discussed though in the end it is $5M liability over next 30 yrs so not chump change. agmts allow for displacement during construction so that is the plan for that but still in order to infill I have that large $$ to swallow just for cars/spaces we dont use. Thus will be seeking the proverbial help if city (not PKC) wants to convert otherwise minimal prop tax to higher use taxes. I'm patient to work thru this.

In general the blog participants seem very well informed, some insiders, and other interested parties, etc but we are designing for a safe, correct organic urban core ToD development with a good mix of 3-4 use types. I would enjoy meeting any and all to get feedback since I am the outsider yet very sensitive to doing the RM infills according to demand and proper design concepts. We know we are not an over-programmed Leawood Town Center-like product and conversely too many restrictions can over burden us given the already charged parking issue. Some of you have seen very preliminary conceptual plans, we have done at least 5 now to get various concepts and consensus on parking ingress/egress so if interested, I am game to sharing ideas/work to-date to get feedback. In KC next week.