Status and future of the River Market area??

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Status and future of the River Market area??

Post by FangKC »

Streetcar-Related River Market Rez, Hotel Project Progressing
A proposed, streetcar-oriented $65 million apartment and hotel project is rolling along in the River Market, with a final development agreement with the KCATA anticipated by late August and possible construction start early next year.

The six-story development planned for what’s currently a parking lot at Third and Grand calls for about 160 apartments, a 90- to 120-room hotel, 24,000 square-feet of office, a 220-space garage and a small amount of retail.
Several key issues remain to be resolved including how public parking will be replaced, the exisiting lot has 193 spaces.

Starner said eight potential alternative sites have been identified nearby, including property owned by the Missouri Department of Transportation.

Crandall also said city planners would like to “manage down” the number of garage spaces because the project is considered transportation-oriented development (TOD) because of its proximity to the streetcar and MAX rapid bus transit line.
While the current downtown hotel market is in a severe slump because of the Covid-19 pandemic, Crandall said by the time the project is completed, perhaps in mid-2022, the hospitality economy should be healthy.
https://cityscenekc.com/apartment-and-h ... lxMwI0AOmk
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

While the current downtown hotel market is in a severe slump because of the Covid-19 pandemic, Crandall said by the time the project is completed, perhaps in mid-2022, the hospitality economy should be healthy.
Would like to see what information he is basing that on as all indicators I've seen are that it could be over 5 years.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Rabble
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rabble »

Reopening Walnut is a great idea. Is there any chance of the city bringing back Main between 3rd and 5th?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Rabble wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 3:43 pm Reopening Walnut is a great idea. Is there any chance of the city bringing back Main between 3rd and 5th?
I think that’s very unlikely - especially with a development coming at 5th & Main
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

normalthings wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 6:37 pm
Rabble wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 3:43 pm Reopening Walnut is a great idea. Is there any chance of the city bringing back Main between 3rd and 5th?
I think that’s very unlikely - especially with a development coming at 5th & Main
It's possible due to some -- ahem -- staffing changes at City Market and Public Works. Even if that doesn't happen, there's good reason to convert Missouri from Walnut to Main and Main from Missouri to 5th back to two-way traffic to provide better circulation and avoid the streetcar tracks.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

DaveKCMO wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:00 pmIt's possible due to some -- ahem -- staffing changes at City Market and Public Works.
Would the planned development at the NW corner of 5th and Main need to accommodate for that possibility? I assume some on-street parking would be required on a reconnected Main Street, since some currently exists to both the north and south.

Long term, I'd imagine restoring the functionality of Main in the River Market could inspire its reconnection across the freeway, if the North Loop removal ever happens.

Rabble
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rabble »

DaveKCMO wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:00 pm
It's possible due to some -- ahem -- staffing changes at City Market and Public Works. Even if that doesn't happen, there's good reason to convert Missouri from Walnut to Main and Main from Missouri to 5th back to two-way traffic to provide better circulation and avoid the streetcar tracks.
I'm not able to find the article, but I read somewhere that a parking garage was planned for the southwest corner of 5th and Main, with direct access to Independence Ave. People would then be able to park at the City Market without having to drive through River Market area.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

Two-way Missouri and Main there would be great. As for Main between 3rd & 5th, even a single NB lane would help. That would provide a couplet to Delaware and take some of the NB traffic off Grand—aka streetcar delayers.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Lowering 9 highway and fixing independence should be much higher on our priority list
Rabble
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rabble »

Eon Blue wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 9:07 am

Two-way Missouri and Main there would be great. As for Main between 3rd & 5th, even a single NB lane would help. That would provide a couplet to Delaware and take some of the NB traffic off Grand—aka streetcar delayers.
Would it help to bring 4th street back between Wyandotte and Main?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Craig was working on a plan to re-establish 4th Street there, since he controls that private space.
Rabble
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rabble »

The pocket park on the SW corner of 3rd and Main is well used but I think the City Market would be better served by having solid development around its perimeter. Maybe an apartment building at 4th & Main tall enough to have balconies that could view the market activity. Dibs on the top floor east side.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

KCPowercat wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 9:10 am Lowering 9 highway and fixing independence should be much higher on our priority list
Agree, but Main doesn’t require state buy-in and money.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Rabble wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:17 am The pocket park on the SW corner of 3rd and Main is well used but I think the City Market would be better served by having solid development around its perimeter. Maybe an apartment building at 4th & Main tall enough to have balconies that could view the market activity. Dibs on the top floor east side.
I'd be okay with the City Market Park, which is taking up space on the streetcar route, getting replaced by development, but only if a good replacement is planned somewhere else nearby. Seeing a collection of fairly tall buildings overlooking the farmers market would be very dramatic, and would be especially warranted if Main gets brought back as a real street
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:12 pm
Rabble wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:17 am The pocket park on the SW corner of 3rd and Main is well used but I think the City Market would be better served by having solid development around its perimeter. Maybe an apartment building at 4th & Main tall enough to have balconies that could view the market activity. Dibs on the top floor east side.
I'd be okay with the City Market Park, which is taking up space on the streetcar route, getting replaced by development, but only if a good replacement is planned somewhere else nearby. Seeing a collection of fairly tall buildings overlooking the farmers market would be very dramatic, and would be especially warranted if Main gets brought back as a real street
2090: Save the River Market Bowl!
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

For those that have seen the reopened Walnut street through the City Market in person, what are your thoughts on the large new City Market sign and seating infrastructure on the north side?

I'm a bit surprised they went with the modern, lime green design vs. a more traditional bookend to the classic streetlamps and sign at the south entrance. Hoping it ages well, as all of the other aesthetic improvements to the market over the last few years look great, but are more "classic-urban" in style.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

rxlexi wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 10:01 am For those that have seen the reopened Walnut street through the City Market in person, what are your thoughts on the large new City Market sign and seating infrastructure on the north side?

I'm a bit surprised they went with the modern, lime green design vs. a more traditional bookend to the classic streetlamps and sign at the south entrance. Hoping it ages well, as all of the other aesthetic improvements to the market over the last few years look great, but are more "classic-urban" in style.
I'm digging it. I like the intentional choice to go modern as a contrast to the classic sign on the south end. I think they work together well and help demonstrate that the market isn't stuck in a specific time period (ahem, Plaza). The seats are fun, but overall the whole place needs some shade.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

rxlexi wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 10:01 am For those that have seen the reopened Walnut street through the City Market in person, what are your thoughts on the large new City Market sign and seating infrastructure on the north side?

I like it. I think the RM could do well by installing benches in the old roadways some. Shade is not existent where the renovation happened but it never was there anyways.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I like it as well.

Seems designed for the Instagram era and I think that's smart.