Status and future of the River Market area??

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Status and future of the River Market area??

Post by FangKC »

I agree. There has been too much studying on some of these parcels. If studies were done in previous years, the next developer should be allowed to just take up the findings and apply them. That is unless the newer project is significantly larger. For example, the previous plan for 200 apartments, and the new project is for 600 apartments. That would certainly have a big effect on traffic, and might require an updated traffic study.
Last edited by FangKC on Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Regarding past RFPs that haven't been acted on: is the council toothless (no laws to allow them to act), deferential to developers in this circumstance (they're sure not deferential when a developer wants three more stories on a building than the neighbors want), or indifferent. I - and obviously a lot of other people - don't understand why they allow these could-be projects to sit idle.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

missingkc wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:41 am Regarding past RFPs that haven't been acted on: is the council toothless (no laws to allow them to act), deferential to developers in this circumstance (they're sure not deferential when a developer wants three more stories on a building than the neighbors want), or indifferent. I - and obviously a lot of other people - don't understand why they allow these could-be projects to sit idle.
TBH, I missed that this also included 30,000 sq ft of office so I'm quickly coming around to the strong merits of this project but like others would like to see the design.

To your question, at least at this site, the selected RFP (~5 years ago now) was from KC Commercial Realty Group who built Centropolis and also now run City Market. Their proposal was god awful to the point that a group of planners and architects met with Troy Schulte to express their concern before the project ever moved very far. Somehow, thought I can't say it was because of that, the proposal died.

From the sounds of it the real project to watch at this intersection is the one proposed for the south side of 5th. I believe it is still KCCRG and sounds like, from above, that it is proposed as senior housing. Looking for a lot more detail on this one. I maintain that KCCRG is not a very skilled developer.
ToDactivist
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ToDactivist »

missingkc wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:39 pm Was Dan not saying an RFP is a bad idea? Who wants a process that brings out developers who will do nothing with the property?
proverbial "bird in the hand", eh?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

F&C apartment building is back to council committee tomorrow. F&C has been giving Lucas donation $$ recently so I have a guess
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

It looks to me like what we got is pretty close to what was proposed. The only thing missing are the semi-covered wooden sheds.

horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

Positive thing is those are an easy add if additional funds are found down the line. Does the city market have a CID?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

horizons82 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 7:27 am Positive thing is those are an easy add if additional funds are found down the line. Does the city market have a CID?
Yes, it has a CID that is part of the Downtown CID.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

City Market Gains Bold Icon with Reconnected Walnut
The bold contemporary City Market entrance sign at Third Street already has become a place for photos with the downtown skyline as backdrop. Patterson said it’s a great bookend to the longtime City Market arch sign at Fifth Street.
https://cityscenekc.com/city-market-gai ... rXC08oBeoI
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

earthling wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:08 pm It doesn't suck but a low unit count for such a large site.

It looks like this project may be growing in size from that original announcement.

On Compass:
Review of Mixed Use, Transit Oriented Development Project. Scope includes approximately 210 multi-family dwelling units, 90 room hotel, a few thousand sf of retail, multi-modal bus stop. May include up to 24,000 sf of office.
Project Name: 3G Development
Estimated Value: $65,000,000.00
Anticipated Construction Date: 02/01/2021
Anticipated Completion Date: 05/02/2022

I don't see any renderings.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

That sounds enormous
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

That sounds awesome
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'm forgetting where that is?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 5:48 pm I'm forgetting where that is?
3rd & Grand TOD
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Thanks. So that would hurt Epoch's plan for a hotel on the Delaware space I'd think.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Unless they got it started first probably
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 5:56 pm Thanks. So that would hurt Epoch's plan for a hotel on the Delaware space I'd think.
I didn’t think that project was happening anytime soon?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Would rather see them drop the hotel for this site, add more residential units. Delaware is a much nicer stretch for hotel visitors than this location. If hotel happens, hopefully hotel operator allows residential units to use hotel services. Should increase its chances of survival. The next 5+ years could be pretty rough for hotels in borderline overbuilt areas. Downtown hotel occupancy wasn't particularly great before COVID and more hotels coming online.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

earthling wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 6:32 pm Would rather see them drop the hotel for this site, add more residential units. Delaware is a much nicer stretch for hotel visitors than this location. If hotel happens, hopefully hotel operator allows residential units to use hotel services. Should increase its chances of survival. The next 5+ years could be pretty rough for hotels in borderline overbuilt areas. Downtown hotel occupancy wasn't particularly great before COVID and more hotels coming online.
I agree. I’d rather see ~300 apartments/condos or additional office space.

However, this site seems as good as any to build a hotel on. Good connectivity to riverfront and Columbus Park. Probably just as close or closer to the market itself.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 5:30 pm
It looks like this project may be growing in size from that original announcement.

On Compass:
Review of Mixed Use, Transit Oriented Development Project. Scope includes approximately 210 multi-family dwelling units, 90 room hotel, a few thousand sf of retail, multi-modal bus stop. May include up to 24,000 sf of office.
Project Name: 3G Development
Estimated Value: $65,000,000.00
Anticipated Construction Date: 02/01/2021
Anticipated Completion Date: 05/02/2022

I don't see any renderings.
I assume the design hasn't changed much as a result of this project getting larger. Several pages ago, when this project was first announced, it was speculated that the project only occupied half the site. Maybe the larger plans will make the project occupy the entire site. It's just a thought.

I'm interested in seeing updated plans when the time comes. It's a good project either way.