Status and future of the River Market area??

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
ToDactivist
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Status and future of the River Market area??

Post by ToDactivist »

smh wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:04 am
normalthings wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:28 pm
earthling wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:14 pm Still planning the 'boutique' hotel and indoor farmers market? Even with the influx of downtown hotels RM could use one. And if not doable condos would be great.
Would love to see a condo building go up here instead of townhomes. It’s a prime location - build dense.
Why not some townhomes at street level and condos above and behind. Boom.
okay, just back and see a flurry of questions. Yes the townhomes have added stoops to offer better opps for socializing even though Wyandotte is not a ped street. New materials yet blending in somewhat with existing as "pairs" of facades. We get hit up quite a bit for condos vs rentals so this should be a good start. Yes I still believe the RM can have a urban-appropriate hotel, ideally with modern condos on top with views. Wasted too much time with other developers who were chasing these lots and the lots have a ton of hair on them. Still need the city's help to kick all this off as a $5M slug/obligation to park 122 cars (free) till 2050 is a huge burden. More than you need to know but a legacy agmt from Old Town Developers in the day. Once that is solved, I can proceed. Still also flaunting a new design for creative office/restaurant/rooftop/? on 3rd and DE as well as postulating a smaller yet similar design on diagonal 3rd and DE corner. Sorry, surface parking goes away if you want density and density solves a lot of problems as well as adds enlightenment opportunities. Thanks.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

I didn’t know about the 122 free parking agreement. That is really frustrating. Is there anyway to get that reduced or waived?
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

2050?! Insane
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

With free streetcar and hopefully free bus coming, time to get rid of or reduce parking requirements. However if there is a request for incentives involving a garage, would expect public spaces.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Love to know who to help pester to offer a downtown neighborhood perspective to get this moving especially the big piece of the lot. The townhomes backing to a surface lot make them less attractive obviously.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Riverite wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:39 pm I didn’t know about the 122 free parking agreement. That is really frustrating. Is there anyway to get that reduced or waived?
Is it parking for other developments or is it for the general public?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

normalthings wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:23 pm
Riverite wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:39 pm I didn’t know about the 122 free parking agreement. That is really frustrating. Is there anyway to get that reduced or waived?
Is it parking for other developments or is it for the general public?
He mentioned Old Town Developers, so the parking would be for their apartments. It's probably equal to the number of surface spaces that are there today.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah that definitely isn't a public lot
ToDactivist
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ToDactivist »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:07 pm Yeah that definitely isn't a public lot
Right and thanks for the empathy. Old legacy agmt for neighboring lofts, not even ours. No way of waiving this as Chase instigated and is an atty and wants to be the barking dog. Yes with the city's help on a below ground garage, I would easily open this back up to public if we get to monetize plus keep some of our units as "affordable". Everyone should want the same thing here...carefully designed place to both fit in and accentuate the street vibe. And why a below ground garage? first see my handle. Second I own the vacated 4th street BUT prefer to extend the promenade vs cutting it off with a car monster as every architect/planner has drawn for this lot. Go the extra mile and bury it to preserve the peds. Sooo if the city agrees with that vision, "show me" some love.
ToDactivist
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ToDactivist »

earthling wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:42 pm With free streetcar and hopefully free bus coming, time to get rid of or reduce parking requirements. However if there is a request for incentives involving a garage, would expect public spaces.
I spend a lot of time talking about getting rid of parking. Know that it is not really the city that dictates this as much as the banks. Yes the evil bankers who first and foremost believe in your failure so they demand it be saleable. Sure it is also prudent to provide parking in a car-centric town, but have been trying to get the city to abide by their 2019(?) CDAP whereby they provide "district parking strategies" i.e. park everyone on the edge and walk inside. Ideal for the city lot south of 5th to build a garage and flow cars in/out from Indy so they never hit the core. Same for all ingress points?? BTW< it is $40,000/space today to build a below ground garage. $25,000/space above ground garage. Stupid pricey. Cool autopark tech around but high maintenance?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

A few recent downtown hotels have managed to get financing with little to no dedicated parking. A milestone for KC. Hopefully banks will find it less risky for residential sooner than later.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

ToDactivist wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:40 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:07 pm Yeah that definitely isn't a public lot
Right and thanks for the empathy. Old legacy agmt for neighboring lofts, not even ours. No way of waiving this as Chase instigated and is an atty and wants to be the barking dog. Yes with the city's help on a below ground garage, I would easily open this back up to public if we get to monetize plus keep some of our units as "affordable". Everyone should want the same thing here...carefully designed place to both fit in and accentuate the street vibe. And why a below ground garage? first see my handle. Second I own the vacated 4th street BUT prefer to extend the promenade vs cutting it off with a car monster as every architect/planner has drawn for this lot. Go the extra mile and bury it to preserve the peds. Sooo if the city agrees with that vision, "show me" some love.
Are the townhouses dependent on the parking space issue being resolved?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

https://twitter.com/thomasinkc/status/1 ... 95872?s=21

Super block parking garage in the works at 5th & Main per Twitter. Project before municipal arts commission on the 6th.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

I thought the city was seeking proposals for residential on the lots at that corner.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

I thought the plan was garage with residential on top. If garage is happening, at least allow residential projects around RM use lot to reduce parking needs within those projects. Need free bus going before more garages.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Not building residential on top is a mistake.
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

gfenn11 wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:34 am Estelle's Diner (Cascone's) by the City Market streetcar stop is already closed.

Looks like it will be called Phikul Thai from the owners of Baramee with a summer opening.

https://www.thepitchkc.com/new-options- ... d-in-2020/
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Better fit, look forward to trying.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Looks like it will be called Phikul Thai from the owners of Baramee with a summer opening.

This is great news!!!
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I've only tried Baramee once, but it was about the best Thai I've had in town, so that's exciting.