Status and future of the River Market area??

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Status and future of the River Market area??

Post by DaveKCMO »

FangKC wrote:Earthing, the City owns those lots (west of City Market), and the one south of 5th Street and west of Main. The City put out an RFP to developers last summer for new development on those lots. The City's original conditions were that there be first floor retail, apartments, parking for residents, and replacement of the 158 parking spots on those surface lots--thus a garage.

Someone else will have to speak to the status of those RFPs.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/b ... velop.html
the chosen proposal was embarrassingly bad, so they're starting over after much pressure was applied.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

The moving trucks are lined up at Populous, 3rd and Wyandotte.

Populous is to reopen on Monday in its new Plaza offices.

No word on a replacement tenant at 300 Wyandotte.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

Maybe a much-downsized Sprint? ;-)
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

Permits have been coming through for 531 Grand (SE corner of Grand & Missouri)for awhile now. Their management page also has a couple new renderings of the pool.

smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I keep hearing that construction is to start any day. But I have been hearing that for months now, so discount accordingly.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

There are also some fairly recent permits for Second & Delaware: http://kivaweb.kcmo.org/kivanet/2/land/ ... pin=148512
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

The Muehlebach development is moving forward, albeit slowly.
http://iconickc.com/portfolio/muehlebach/

From this weeks PZED meeting:
150956 COMMUNICATION - Notice of Intent to Accept the Industrial Development Contract proposal submitted by Iconic Development, LLC for redevelopment of the Muehlbach Office Lofts Project in the Market PIEA Area.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Eon Blue wrote:There are also some fairly recent permits for Second & Delaware: http://kivaweb.kcmo.org/kivanet/2/land/ ... pin=148512
The vacation of Delaware St north of 2nd was completed last week, which was one of the last steps. I would suspect we will see this project move soon. Utility marking crew was out there yesterday.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

KCDowntown wrote:First permit today for the 531 Grand project (140 units, 7 stories, parking pedestal).

It is a Commerical Building Plans Review, which usually means a project is a go, but is a couple months out before any dirt gets moved.

KCDowntown
mgh7676 wrote:This updated rendering of 531 Grand was posted on twitter a couple days ago. Not bad!

It looked like there was some heavy equipment and possibly fencing getting ready to go up on this site.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

There is a permit out for a "fifth street market" at 414 Oak... Anybody know any details?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote:There is a permit out for a "fifth street market" at 414 Oak... Anybody know any details?
wouldn't that address be part of the pendergast development that chris sally is doing?
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

kboish wrote:
KCDowntown wrote:First permit today for the 531 Grand project (140 units, 7 stories, parking pedestal).

It is a Commerical Building Plans Review, which usually means a project is a go, but is a couple months out before any dirt gets moved.

KCDowntown
mgh7676 wrote:This updated rendering of 531 Grand was posted on twitter a couple days ago. Not bad!

It looked like there was some heavy equipment and possibly fencing getting ready to go up on this site.
It looks like the equipment I saw was related to the project on 5th street...so no progress on this project.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

Incentives for 531 Grand are on this week's PEIA docket.

KCDowntown
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

I missed this email from a few days ago, but it doesn't sound good for Cellar and Loft.
Valued Cellar and Loft Club Members, Locker Holders and Customers,

As many of you may or may not know, Bill has been in and out of the hospital for the last several months. During this time, Cellar & Loft has been struggling as a business. We have come to that point that we can no longer continue to operate. Therefore we shall be halting operations and attempting to restructure the business.

During this restructuring, we will be closing both stores at the close of business on 2/13/16. This is a very sad moment for all of us and not a time that we wanted to ever happen.

Locker members, please place urgency on coming to the stores to claim your products.

It is our intention for February club being delivered later this month. This may extend into early March.

Thank you for your loyalty and patronage to Cellar & Loft.
I spoke with a guy that was a manager/owner of the Mike's liquor stores once, and he mentioned his desire to open a liquor store in the River Market (at some point). It seems like there is a pretty great opportunity for someone to sweep in, but the rent may not be what most liquor stores are accustomed to.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

bobbyhawks wrote:I missed this email from a few days ago, but it doesn't sound good for Cellar and Loft.
Valued Cellar and Loft Club Members, Locker Holders and Customers,

As many of you may or may not know, Bill has been in and out of the hospital for the last several months. During this time, Cellar & Loft has been struggling as a business. We have come to that point that we can no longer continue to operate. Therefore we shall be halting operations and attempting to restructure the business.

During this restructuring, we will be closing both stores at the close of business on 2/13/16. This is a very sad moment for all of us and not a time that we wanted to ever happen.

Locker members, please place urgency on coming to the stores to claim your products.

It is our intention for February club being delivered later this month. This may extend into early March.

Thank you for your loyalty and patronage to Cellar & Loft.
The City Market is also marketing space in search of a liquor/wine retail operation.

I spoke with a guy that was a manager/owner of the Mike's liquor stores once, and he mentioned his desire to open a liquor store in the River Market (at some point). It seems like there is a pretty great opportunity for someone to sweep in, but the rent may not be what most liquor stores are accustomed to.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

loftguy wrote:The City Market is also marketing space in search of a liquor/wine retail operation.
Good news. It is probably the highest concentration of people with that type of disposable income in the city without a decent liquor store in walkable range. Grand Slam is okay for beer, but that's it. There hasn't been a good whiskey shop downtown since I've been around, and it is a bit annoying that the first decent option isn't until 39th (though Gomer's is certainly worth going out of your way). Cellar Rat has an okay selection for being mostly wine focused, and Cosentino's has picked up the slack in widely available variety, but I don't know that the liquor side of Cosentino's has really tried very hard. There are some Price Choppers and Hy-Vees up north that put it to shame. Red X is hit or miss, and my impression is that it doesn't have the same quality of selection it did a few years ago. But then again, I wasn't near as whiskey obsessed a few years ago and didn't know as much about what I was looking at.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Anybody have an inside track to get Gomer to look to the City/River Market for his next store?
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

I wonder what the distance issues are. They just opened a new store at 75th and State Line, but that is kind of a natural grab for the Mission Hills market. Those are a little over 5 miles away from each other. The River Market is right in that range, but they wouldn't be moving in next to the same level of full offering stores like they did with the 75th street location. I'm still not entirely sure how connected some of their stores really are other than by name.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

What about this building on the NW corner of Grand and Missouri?

http://tinyurl.com/jnqsoo5

Or the former Oriental Club building at 415 E. 5th Street?

http://tinyurl.com/ztgvuj6

Or this building at W. 3rd and Wyandotte?

http://tinyurl.com/zwzhv4t
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Those are great suggestions. I'd love to see a Gomer's-like selection with a tasting room upstairs that could also be rented out. My girlfriend is trying to find somewhere in the downtown area to hold a pre-bachelorette party wine tasting (and not a dinner), and Cellar and Loft was the best place for that. It is for a younger sister with friends just out of college, so they can't be expected to chip in a lot. Cellar and Loft was one of the few places we were aware of where you could get private or semi-private space and not pay a markup or a corkage fee on the wines purchased. Are there any other options downtown where you can BYO and not have to rent out an entire room for multiple hours? Our fall back is just doing it at our place.