Status and future of the River Market area??

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: Status and future of the River Market area??

Post by Critical_Mass »

missingkc wrote:Excuse me - I'm a baby boomer. That design doesn't suit my sensibilities.
Forgive my mass generalization. It was in poor taste and certainly not reflective of reality :oops:
chaglang wrote:I'm totally stealing "JC Penny's architecture".
That's all I see when looking at the corner of the P&L addition:

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

delaware will be closed for 4 weeks* starting today for streetcar track installation and water line replacement, so please drop in to one of the businesses during that time.

*businesses were offered the option to keep delaware open, but construction would have taken longer.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

DaveKCMO wrote:delaware will be closed for 4 weeks* starting today for streetcar track installation and water line replacement, so please drop in to one of the businesses during that time.

*businesses were offered the option to keep delaware open, but construction would have taken longer.
it's nice they had the choice.

I can just see the misleading news title. "Business impacted by Delware closing"
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

There are a couple of Delaware business owners who are being very vocal in their complaints about the effects of construction.

It's a shame. The difficulty is real, but these owners are compounding it with their hysterics. People are mentioning that they are avoiding giving them business because the whining is so uncomfortable to experience.

Other businesses along the construction zone are either taking it in stride, or even wrapping the construction into their marketing.........and many are reporting record revenue.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

loftguy wrote:There are a couple of Delaware business owners who are being very vocal in their complaints about the effects of construction.

It's a shame. The difficulty is real, but these owners are compounding it with their hysterics. People are mentioning that they are avoiding giving them business because the whining is so uncomfortable to experience.

Other businesses along the construction zone are either taking it in stride, or even wrapping the construction into their marketing.........and many are reporting record revenue.
IIt's been a while since I've been to the Farmhouse. Looks like a trip is needed.

Incidently, is this work going to flip the side parking is on so that it's easier to convert back to two-way traffic? I seem to recall that.
mykn

Post by mykn »

loftguy wrote:There are a couple of Delaware business owners who are being very vocal in their complaints about the effects of construction.

Which places are being vocal? (Just curious)

When it comes time for talk of a streetcar extension, the city needs to do some major work on getting business owners on their side. I can see this being a major problem during the run up to another vote.
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

BTW....they are cutting all the trees down on the west side of Delaware....right now! Just ruined the best street in the rivermarket...if not downtown.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

zonk wrote:BTW....they are cutting all the trees down on the west side of Delaware....right now! Just ruined the best street in the rivermarket...if not downtown.
and here i thought it was the buildings...
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Yet the businesses on this block in particular will probably benefit the most when the construction is complete. Sigh.

I'm really curious who would be complaining. It was usually difficult to park on Delaware even before construction, most of the non-local customers either walk over from the market or park in the lot off Wyandotte -- which isn't affected by construction at all. It would seem that road work on Delaware shouldn't be a factor.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

The first time I've imagined a use for the streetcar, I was trying and failing to find parking in the River Market. The Farmhouse has reached peak breakfast on the weekend. I imagine parking, wherever the hell you are supposed to board the streetcar, will be equally difficult?
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

mykn wrote:
It's not my desire to publicly call out individuals or specific businesses. I'm just noting a pattern that is like cursing darkness. No good can come from it.

I will point to Farmhouse as being a business that has consistently projected a celebratory attitude about the construction upheaval and it seems that their business is booming.

You would think that others would note the cause and affect............
mykn

Post by mykn »

loftguy wrote:
mykn wrote:
It's not my desire to publicly call out individuals or specific businesses. I'm just noting a pattern that is like cursing darkness. No good can come from it.

I will point to Farmhouse as being a business that has consistently projected a celebratory attitude about the construction upheaval and it seems that their business is booming.

You would think that others would note the cause and affect............
Cool, no biggie :)
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

WinchesterMysteryHouse wrote:The first time I've imagined a use for the streetcar, I was trying and failing to find parking in the River Market. The Farmhouse has reached peak breakfast on the weekend. I imagine parking, wherever the hell you are supposed to board the streetcar, will be equally difficult?
It's not possible to have parking problems with the streetcar.
I took my response to the main streetcar thread

http://kcrag.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=94 ... 89#p540389

All parking problems would be based on unwillingness to pay the price, inability to find the open spots or laziness. Existence of enough spots is not an issue.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Those trees are a huge loss for the neighborhood. It is the combination of good sidewalks, buildings, trees and road width that makes Delaware so pleasant. A true shame.
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

I had anticipated some tree trimming, etc. But not a wholesale clearcut! I've been a huge streetcar supporter/fan...but I'm starting to hit the wall here with all the construction in the Rivermarket.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

zonk wrote:I had anticipated some tree trimming, etc. But not a wholesale clearcut! I've been a huge streetcar supporter/fan...but I'm starting to hit the wall here with all the construction in the Rivermarket.
the stop has to go where I'd guess two of them are
there's poles where others are. is it better to cut a tree in half vertically or cut it down?

but if they're really all being cut down, that's really strange. I don't see any situation where the would all need to come down unless water or sewer will be directly underneath where they are now
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Looks like they took out 2-4 trees at the future stop.

I just drove by and the trees are there
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

ok..can sacrifice a tree or two. It was just shocking to the the wholesale destruction of Delaware St....
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Some of those trees were problematic anyway, because they dropped the pods that were causing people to fall. The constructors worked with arborists and only removed trees that were specifically in the path of future facilities (shelter) or that would have surely been killed by OCS foundations.

The CID is already aligned to return with new trees once construction is complete.