Status and future of the River Market area??

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Re: Status and future of the River Market area??

Post by KCtonic »

loftguy wrote:Can we call up that flashmob, now?
I'll be having dinner there once in a while. Trying to go to Harry's Country Club for Sunday's occasionally to support their "test" of being open on Sunday.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

We have had this discussion a few times on this thread, but I'm becoming more interested in taking it to the next level (whatever that may be).

KCMO owns the three lots highlighted in the image below. With the streetcar coming through soon the City is sitting on a gold mine.

So I ask:

1. What would it take to get the City to build our long discussed and desired public garage on Lot 1, and get mixed-use projects going on Lots 2 and 3? I don't think it's a stretch to say that if those three lots were developed (properly) the quality of the River Market as a neighborhood would be vastly improved.

2. Is the City even capable of a project like this, or am I severely overestimating their planning capabilities?

3. Opinions, ideas?

loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

smh wrote:We have had this discussion a few times on this thread, but I'm becoming more interested in taking it to the next level (whatever that may be).

KCMO owns the three lots highlighted in the image below. With the streetcar coming through soon the City is sitting on a gold mine.

So I ask:

1. What would it take to get the City to build our long discussed and desired public garage on Lot 1, and get mixed-use projects going on Lots 2 and 3? I don't think it's a stretch to say that if those three lots were developed (properly) the quality of the River Market as a neighborhood would be vastly improved.

2. Is the City even capable of a project like this, or am I severely overestimating their planning capabilities?

3. Opinions, ideas?

1. It would take a combination of patience and persistance. Drop a note with your ideas, as shown here, to Marcuson and/or Glover. (sorry city staff, but top down on this one)
2. City planning is currently the most competent, clever and capable that I have experienced in my 97 years in dealing with them. They can do whatever they point their tin foil hats at, including making me miserable, still.
3. a.SMH, you may just be pointing a focus at an idea whose time has come.
b. I interpret mixed use to mean 4-5 story, retail frontage, multi-unit rental residential built to condo specs, on a parking garage that services the building and the city market?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

loftguy wrote:
smh wrote:We have had this discussion a few times on this thread, but I'm becoming more interested in taking it to the next level (whatever that may be).

So I ask:

3. Opinions, ideas?
1. It would take a combination of patience and persistance. Drop a note with your ideas, as shown here, to Marcuson and/or Glover. (sorry city staff, but top down on this one)
2. City planning is currently the most competent, clever and capable that I have experienced in my 97 years in dealing with them. They can do whatever they point their tin foil hats at, including making me miserable, still.
3. a.SMH, you may just be pointing a focus at an idea whose time has come.
b. I interpret mixed use to mean 4-5 story, retail frontage, multi-unit rental residential built to condo specs, on a parking garage that services the building and the city market?
1. May eventually do just that.
2. 97 years is quite a while.
3.b. Mixed-use= 4-5 story, retail frontage, multi-unit rental residential built to condo specs, on a parking garage that services the building and the city market. Although, honestly I'm not sure whether each building would require a garage. In my mind Lot 1 is large enough for a garage to service two residential buildings, retail and market traffic (without being so tall as to grossly infuriate the 5 Delaware people).
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

smh wrote:

3. Opinions, ideas?
1. my guess would be a need for the space that outweighs the value of doing nothing. the city market already uses this parking, this is a notable draw into downtown on weekends. Thus it has to be worth it to lose a lot in this area for a year+. But I expect this point to hit within 10 years.

2. they are. it's not about the city doing it though. the city should use the lots as a incentive such as hand picking the private project it wants to see in exchange for the land. having that much land so close in one area of a downtown is rare. it took years to put the P&L lots together. the value of a 4-7 story building and the property taxes is more valuable than some empty lots it owns

3. I think it makes sense to start selecting certain areas for parking maximums in concert with a notable parking structure in the area. like a partnership for parking structures with few incentives and the area around can't add parking afterwards. there's nothing wrong with doing one garage that works urban (think the library garage design) and limit endless lots afterwards

Any parking would need to be done right for the park. I think it would make sense to have parking and then put a vertical park structure with terraces, patios, a mock stream, etc, that makes the parking blend in with the park. why not use the vertical space to add green space? A 5 story tall park would be quite unique for KC
Last edited by flyingember on Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I think you could put some parking on Lot 2 in the back against the alley because of the grade--probably one long strip of garage parking as opposed to two or three on Lot 1. The street retail would be smaller facing Main, but these days you don't need as much sq. footage for many retail businesses that might locate there.

The goal of parking on these lots is not only to service any apartments built on top of the garages, but to create parking to replace surface lots along Delaware, Main, Walnut, and Fifth Street, so that infill buildings can be constructed on those surface lots.

I would think the City could work with the Economic Development Corporation, and the City's redevelopment authority, to find developers to build on city-owned lots. The primary focus should be on creating residential housing to add population to the River Market and Downtown.

I think The Morgan Group, who built Market Station, would be a good partner in this development. They did a good job with Market Station, and have experience creating apartments that hide the parking garages.

As far as 5 Delaware goes, it you place apartments on top of the garage facing 5 Delaware, the objection might be less than if those apartments faced the back of a large parking garage. Because of the grade, you could probably get two levels of parking garage on that site, and the third and higher levels could have apartments, which would be level with the apartments at 5 Delaware.

One could design the apartments on top of the garage on Lot 1 in a way where they faced mostly on Main, Fourth and Fifth streets. Then leave open the part facing the alley and the backs of the buildings along Delaware. One could place a landscaped courtyard and pool area there. The back windows on the buildings on Delaware wouldn't be blocked so closely, and it would give them some space and a view.

Goals of garages:

Needs to be operated by the City to create parking for all parties, shared with local businesses and residents, and not controlled by various independent parties to avoid parking hoarding practices that limit development of surface lots.

Needs to adequately service City Market.

Needs to replace surface lot parking spaces for businesses and residents on Delaware, Main, Walnut and Fifth Street.

Surface lots on Main, Walnut, Delaware, and Fifth Street need to have new infill buildings to recreate the continuous street wall.

Needs to also have parking for the new infill buildings on former surface lots, and any apartments, or office space, built on top of the garages.

Encourages property owners to develop their vacant lots, and surface parking, with new infill buildings.

Adds more residents to the River Market, and increases downtown population.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

flyingember wrote: it's not about the city doing it though. the city should use the lots as a incentive such as hand picking the private project it wants to see in exchange for the land. having that much land so close in one area of a downtown is rare. it took years to put the P&L lots together. the value of a 4-7 story building and the property taxes is more valuable than some empty lots it owns
+1
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

Have we heard any more rumors about possible tenants for the renovation at 5th and grand. They've finally finished demolition on the facade, and they're starting to build out the new windows.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

no, but i know who might know. is the address actually 500 grand?

http://kivaweb.kcmo.org/kivanet/2/permi ... 9&jur=KCMO
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

500 Grand is an Integrated Construction Solutions project. The new offices already in the building were part of this project, but I haven't heard anything about the rest of the spots.

icskansascity.com
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

I had heard rumors of a doggie daycare....
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

heatherkay wrote:Have we heard any more rumors about possible tenants for the renovation at 5th and grand. They've finally finished demolition on the facade, and they're starting to build out the new windows.
5th and grand is going to have an architecture firm

http://sunflowerkc.com/portfolio/500-grand/

5th and walnut is rumored to be a doggie daycare.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

New shop on the East side of City Market
Josie's Unique Artisan Gifts features clothing, jewelry and gifts produced by local artisans in a small nook in the City Market.
http://www.kansascity.com/2013/03/18/41 ... ls-to.html
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Bumping this as a reminder that everyone needs to do their delicious part to show City Market restaurants that we do indeed want to eat their food after 2pm!

loftguy wrote:
Sign up in Habashi House today "effective April 1st, we will be open from 11:00 to 8:00, Mon-Sat"

Talked to them and they are skeptical that people will come in the evening. They tried it 6-7 years ago and that they averaged less than a dozen people per night. Sounds like we need to show them that it's a different day in the market.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

scooterj wrote:Bumping this as a reminder that everyone needs to do their delicious part to show City Market restaurants that we do indeed want to eat their food after 2pm!

loftguy wrote:
Sign up in Habashi House today "effective April 1st, we will be open from 11:00 to 8:00, Mon-Sat"

Talked to them and they are skeptical that people will come in the evening. They tried it 6-7 years ago and that they averaged less than a dozen people per night. Sounds like we need to show them that it's a different day in the market.
Good show, Scoot. Thanks for the reminder. House combo for dinner..........
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

I'm here right now. I'm the only customer. The entire staff was hanging out outside.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

scooterj wrote:I'm here right now. I'm the only customer. The entire staff was hanging out outside.
The wife & I stopped by for dinner at the Habashi House tonight. There were a few other people picking up orders and one other person eating inside. Good food - hope they continue dinner hours.

While we were dining the wife mentioned the City Market should set up a summertime beer garden in the middle of the market with Boulevard Beer & Amigoni Wines - make it a KC beer/wine garden theme to bring in more crowds. That might help the restaurants right in the market although those with liquor licenses might not like it as much.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

KCtonic wrote:
scooterj wrote:I'm here right now. I'm the only customer. The entire staff was hanging out outside.
The wife & I stopped by for dinner at the Habashi House tonight. There were a few other people picking up orders and one other person eating inside. Good food - hope they continue dinner hours.

While we were dining the wife mentioned the City Market should set up a summertime beer garden in the middle of the market with Boulevard Beer & Amigoni Wines - make it a KC beer/wine garden theme to bring in more crowds. That might help the restaurants right in the market although those with liquor licenses might not like it as much.
A night late, but I've got my platter.

KCtonic, in the long run, the surrounding beer licenses would benefit. Hope they would have bigger vision.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

I need an early morning breakfast recommendation. Every year my mom and I go down to Cascone's to have breakfast before the native plant sale at CM. I'm looking to change it up a bit this year, but am not sure what's worth checking out in the in the 6-7am hour.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

chaglang wrote:I need an early morning breakfast recommendation. Every year my mom and I go down to Cascone's to have breakfast before the native plant sale at CM. I'm looking to change it up a bit this year, but am not sure what's worth checking out in the in the 6-7am hour.
Cascone's is always good for a diner-style breakfast. Some like the City Diner although it's not my favorite. Happy Gillis in Columbus Park is good but doesn't open until 8am http://www.happygillis.com/contact/

For a good coffee and a muffin Quay Coffee on Delaware is a good choice, but not a full-breakfast kind of place.