Status and future of the River Market area??

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: Status and future of the River Market area??

Post by beautyfromashes »

Grandview is hell on earth...the devil's torture table. Get out while there's still time!!
thegeester68
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by thegeester68 »

I would if my house would sell. Ugh!
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I've been there on that one... have you considered opening a 'shop' in your garage where you have plenty of room for piles of oily rags and a wood burning stove?
thegeester68
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by thegeester68 »

beautyfromashes wrote:I've been there on that one... have you considered opening a 'shop' in your garage where you have plenty of room for piles of oily rags and a wood burning stove?
:evil:
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

Interesting Facebook post from the proprietor of Orange Box, a little luncheonette now located near the brewery.

Getting serious about a place in the river market huge beautiful spot 30 foot ceilings 20 foot windows marble floor and it has its own walk in 100 year old bank vault. And the city wants to give me the money to do it!!!! Crazy days. O yeah and a great outdoor dining area.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

heatherkay wrote:Interesting Facebook post from the proprietor of Orange Box, a little luncheonette now located near the brewery.

Getting serious about a place in the river market huge beautiful spot 30 foot ceilings 20 foot windows marble floor and it has its own walk in 100 year old bank vault. And the city wants to give me the money to do it!!!! Crazy days. O yeah and a great outdoor dining area.
Brown & Loe?
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

That would seem to be the logical choice
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Quay Coffee is now serving lunch, although its prepared sandwiches from Soho Cafe and Bakery.

http://www.pitch.com/fatcity/archives/2 ... ving-lunch
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Jennifer Helber opens Grain to Glass in the River Market
Chef Boyardee mini ravioli, soy milk, Cascade hops: Market 3 (114 West Third Street) has everything a bachelor, a downtown lunch-break shopper — or a homebrewer — could want. Tucked in a back corner of the River Market grocery is Grain to Glass, Jennifer Helber’s month-old supply shop for home beer makers.
“I’m focusing on new brewers,” Helber says. “I think there are a lot of beer geeks out there that might to learn how to make their own beers.”
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

I live in the same building as Jennifer. She's let me try a few of her homebrews. They're excellent! She knows her stuff.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

The renovation of the building on the SW corner of 5th & Grand is coming along nicely. New, large windows almost completely installed (I should have taken a picture). Anyone heard anything about possible tenants?
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Yes, yes...any more updates from anyone? I'm just impressed with how it is looking.
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

My understanding is that the building at 5th and Grand will be a doggie daycare/kennel and so forth. Seems a perfect fit for the neighborhood. So many dogs in River Market, not to mention Downtown, and all of the other nearby kennels are sketch as hell.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

ColumbusParkian wrote:My understanding is that the building at 5th and Grand will be a doggie daycare/kennel and so forth. Seems a perfect fit for the neighborhood. So many dogs in River Market, not to mention Downtown, and all of the other nearby kennels are sketch as hell.
Sounds like a good idea. Glad to see this building be more active and actually have a face towards the street.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

New management coming for City Market.

http://www.pitch.com/fatcity/archives/2 ... n-december
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

"KCCRG's proposal set many goals, including the immediate goal of securing a local landmark restaurant for the long-vacant space at 429 Walnut,"
=D>
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

The River Market Community Association posted this:
Stakeholders are exploring the possibility of re-opening Walnut, soon to be a two-way street all the way to the Crossroads, directly through the City Market as a normal street. It would still be closed for market days.

This should help return life to the City Market at all hours and encourage safe, active connections through the neighborhood. What do you think?"
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

I "think" I like the idea. Especially if it would help those business in the city market itself have better afternoon/evening business.

Staubio weighs in:
https://www.facebook.com/staubio/posts/333518780098804
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

reconnecting walnut is a better idea than rebuilding main, widening delaware and other possibilities. those should come after more density to pay for these projects.
Main is an especially bad idea, everyone still has to move laterally E-W to get across I-70. so rebuilding it does not save time or add to the area.

For Walnut the street already exists, it just curves around the farmers market covers. this just realigns it.

though just rebuilding a street will do nothing to the market directly. there's parking for hundreds within a block today
you need the new river market management to push later hours. there's some great unique restaurants that close after lunch.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

There is a classic chicken/egg problem with the City Market. Tenants don't want to stick with consistent later hours because there is a lunch and festival mentality. A few have tried and they didn't stick.

I think we need some sort of City Market Flash Mob where we get the businesses open at night and we go fill their chairs in support. While that happens, we can start to fix the design issues that make the City Market pre-disposed to special events and lousy at being part of a neighborhood.