Status and future of the River Market area??

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
tella100
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Status and future of the River Market area??

Post by tella100 »

smh wrote: Ha! You always say that. I have no idea if it is the former Skybox space, never heard of Skybox. But it is on the corner of 5th and Walnut and not BoLings, Brown&Loe, or River Market Brewery space. Thus leaving only one corner.
that corner needs some serious help, fast.  hopefully the summer will bring some new businesses
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

I would desperately like to see the NE corner of that intersection converted into a retail space that focused on cookwear and maybe specialty food. I think it'd mesh nicely with the existing tenants and give a shot in the arm to retail options in the neighborhood. Something along the lines of Pryde's, I guess.
mudjack
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mudjack »

ColumbusParkian wrote: I would desperately like to see the NE corner of that intersection converted into a retail space that focused on cookwear and maybe specialty food. I think it'd mesh nicely with the existing tenants and give a shot in the arm to retail options in the neighborhood. Something along the lines of Pryde's, I guess.
I need to stop reading this without my classes. I could have sworn the second 'o' in cookware was a 'c'.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

mudjack wrote: I need to stop reading this without my classes. I could have sworn the second 'o' in cookware was a 'c'.
i have 20/20 vision (BRAG) and i read it as cockwear as well.

I do think RM and downtown as a whole could use some cockwear shops.
mudjack
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mudjack »

trailerkid wrote: i have 20/20 vision (BRAG) and i read it as cockwear as well.

I do think RM and downtown as a whole could use some cockwear shops.
And Pryde's wouldn't be a bad name for one.
mudjack
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mudjack »

Actually, I prefer cockwhere, as in you want to put your....??!!
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Noticed yesterday that the for lease signs are gone and some sort of work is in progress in the corner space across from Brown & Loe and former River Market Brewery. Any fellow MarketeersTM know what's happening?
There are still for lease signs in the window
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

kboish wrote: There are still for lease signs in the window
I'm told they were just clearing out and cleaning.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

The Pitch yesterday said that the chef from Hickock's is moving on to start his own place, now that the menu is set up and the place is running. The implication was that he was looking at one of the three places on the corner of 5th and Walnut.

http://blogs.pitch.com/fatcity/2011/03/ ... hickok.php
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

heatherkay wrote: The Pitch yesterday said that the chef from Hickock's is moving on to start his own place, now that the menu is set up and the place is running. The implication was that he was looking at one of the three places on the corner of 5th and Walnut.

http://blogs.pitch.com/fatcity/2011/03/ ... hickok.php
It'd be incredible if the River Market picked up a bit more of a Midtown/Westport/W39th vibe in terms of restaurants and retail. I think they're finally getting enough people living around there to take the next step.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

^^^ yeah, the feeling I get, spending a lot of time in city market as I do, is that it may be FINALLY turning the corner and developing enough of a real neighborhood presence to start supporting a more vibrant retail scene and later hours. 

I had a great experience trying out the Glam Room salon (I will post in Scene sometime) last week that's a great example.  It was opened by young entrepreneurs from Parkville that love the area (one lives in city market, I guess) and took formerly quiet office space on Delaware (was an accounting firm).  It's a slick urban space, brick and timber and very well done on the part of the salon - what a waste to use this beautiful street level retail space with big windows for number-crunching! 

The vibe I got from the staff there was a genuine excitement for the area, if not outright knowledge about it (these aren't urban nerds) - asking about the food at the Farmhouse, remarking about all the dog walkers in the 'hood, discussing stories they had heard about the Quay days.  They mentioned the convenience of Market 3 and Scott Fitness right down the street, how nice it is to have everything you need around.  They clearly sought out this neighborhood to open their first business. 

Great to see...and a great haircut :)
are we spinning free?
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Nice report! ^

Hickok's has been a pretty positive addition being that it's got a very mainstream sort of concept. I also think RM is a great location for a very high profile restaurant as well-- more of a destination-type place like the Rieger.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

trailerkid wrote: It'd be incredible if the River Market picked up a bit more of a Midtown/Westport/W39th vibe in terms of restaurants and retail. I think they're finally getting enough people living around there to take the next step.
Agreed.  Delaware has the potential to have a w39th vibe, which I'm hoping for as the newer apts come online.  If that strip could get an eclectic mix of ethnic restaurants, it would launch River Market into the next level.

Separately but related, would also like to see the 25cent Downtowner circulating bus make a comeback that runs every 10 minutes from CC to RM, via Delaware/Grand.  That would get a lot more people into the market area who may otherwise not get to the edges of downtown.  I used to take it all the time for lunch from CC to get to RM.

Is there a RM neighborhood association?  I'd make it a top priority to promote getting the Downtowner bus back.  Would even submit idea of a 1/4 cent RM tax to fund the DTer bus if it were 25 cents again.  Not sure if things can be funded that way.

If I were to move from where I am now (Plaza/Westport), I would move to RM/Columbus Park area.  I do most of my weekly basics shopping down there any way at CM and all the Asian markets.
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

The River Market Community Association (RMCA) is the default business/neighborhood association for the River Market neighborhood.  They do a great job and would be point entity to contact on the 25cent Downtowner circ bus.  I'm not sure who the contact would be, but here's their link:

http://www.kansascityrivermarket.com/

The coordination between RMCA and the River Market Community Improvement District (RMCID) has really improved the neighborhood, both from a safety perspective to a infrasructure perspective to marketing and finally providing an attractive place to live/work.  Additional kudos to the more established stakeholders in the neighborhood...the Planters Seed folks, the residntial developers: Mallins/Gibsons/Birts as well as the Populas and other office users, they've all laid the groundwork for the success the RM has enjoyed.  Hopefully, the neighborhood will continue to attract addtional resturant and office establishments as discussed here.  The Market 3 on 3rd street has been a tremendous new addition to the neighborhood...these are the type of establishments we need more of.
Gretz
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Gretz »

The Downtown Neighborhood Association is the official, city recognized neighborhood association for the RM and the loop.

http://www.dnakcmo.org/
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

If you care about the River Market, we need your help.
The River Market CID is currently at odds with the TIF Commission regarding the River Market TIF and Amendments 8 & 9.  Amendment 8 essentially provides for over $700,000 for community related improvements within the River Market neighborhood.  The local taxing jurisdictions have proposed Amendment 9, which would effectively KILL ALL FUNDING to River Market infrastructure improvements.

As you may know, the CID has been very diligent in the leveraging of private/foundation and public (PIAC) funds to provide needed infrastructure improvements within the neighborhood.  In the past 2 years, they've leveraged approximately $300,000+ to provide needed improvements to the River Market neighborhood. 

These are services which were provided by the City in the past and ideally they would continue to provide, but with the increased load on the City budget, they've been eliminated and now alternate funding resources have to be found. 

CALL TO ACTION:
River Market community support is needed TOMORROW (Wednesday) at both the TIF Commission meeting,
and the Planning & Zoning Committee meeting.

TIF Commission meeting is at 11:00 a.m. at the Economic Development Corporation offices located at 1100 Walnut, 4th Floor
Planning & Zoning meeting is at 1:30 p.m. - Council Chambers, 26th Floor of City Hall

At the Planning & Zoning Committee meeting, they will be hearing the 8th Amendment to the River Market TIF.  If it's approved, it trumps anything the TIF Commission decides on the 9th amendment at the morning meeting. 

Please pass this information on to other River Market businesses, tenants and residents and plan on attending
BOTH MEETINGS! 

If you can only attend one meeting, please be at the
Planning & Zoning Committee Meeting at 1:30 p.m.

Thank you! 
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

i'll be there....both meetings. 
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

what's going on there?  why would they just pull the river market's CID funding?  just budget issues?
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

The CID is trying to get the 8th amendment to the River Market TIF approved.  The amendment provides for approx. $700k over the next few years for infrastructure repairs and improvements.  The excess TIF is captured from completed projects within the RM TIF Plan.  Over the last few years, the RMCID and the River Market Community Development Foundation have done a great job leveraging public and private funds to maintain and improve the River Market neighborhood.  The Planning & Zoning meeting is the important meeting...1:30 at City Hall.  This 8th amendment is essential to sustain the momentum in the River Market.  

The RMCID's budget is not in question....this is outside the CID budget.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

chrizow wrote: what's going on there?  why would they just pull the river market's CID funding?  just budget issues?
This is a power play from the jurisdictions (library, county, school district), wanting to stop the diversion of the incremental taxes toward infrastructure improvements, even though this is about the most common sense use for a tax structure like this I've seen.

Unfortunately I can't get away today, but I'm hoping the neighborhood is well represented.