OFFICIAL: Port Authority Riverfront Project

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: OFFICIAL: Port Authority Riverfront Project

Post by beautyfromashes »

normalthings wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:45 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:30 pm Their attendance will double.
NWSL is at a price point where I feel comfortable getting a season ticket. Something I can go to if I have time but don’t feel forced to go to do to how much I spent. Very easy to get to unlike the current stadiums.
I might too. I was honestly going to go to a few games this year but it's so far out there and they lost so many games to start to year. I assume this will be open in 2023?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Scheduled to open in 2024, KC NWSL's facility is thought to be the first in the world built specifically for a top-division women's team. The stadium’s design also includes a restaurant and sports bar at its entrance, plus a bar and fan gathering area to the north, facing the river.
"The parcels referenced will contain 2,000 parking spaces for stadium and park event use but remain active development parcels with the plan being to continue the dense and walkable development of the riverfront," he said in an email Tuesday. "As development occurs, parking added to the riverfront will be multiuse. Additionally, we will be working to maximize the development of on-street parking."
Although KC NWSL will be the stadium's primary user, Stephens said the facility is being designed from the ground up as a dynamic, year-round venue for events and celebrations "well beyond sport." These could include high school and college championship games, concerts and international tournaments, team co-owner Angie Long said at the news conference.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... occer.html
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I’m gonna preface this take by saying I could be totally wrong and I’m not the expert on construction costs/stadiums…but if it’s only is costing $70 mil to build an 11,000 seat stadium…how the hell are people saying it would be “$1.5 bil” for a new 35,000 seat Royals stadium?

I understand there’s a lot more inside an MLB stadium…but sheesh is there more than 20x the amount? How do we get to well over a billion if soccer is only $70 mil?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:34 pm I’m gonna preface this take by saying I could be totally wrong and I’m not the expert on construction costs/stadiums…but if it’s only is costing $70 mil to build an 11,000 seat stadium…how the hell are people saying it would be “$1.5 bil” for a new 35,000 seat Royals stadium?

I understand there’s a lot more inside an MLB stadium…but sheesh is there more than 20x the amount? How do we get to well over a billion if soccer is only $70 mil?
The more you go up the more expensive it gets.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

normalthings wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:21 pm F&B at entrance and facing river will be open year round
Very nice.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

People are going to go to games and love the experience of it all. I think it's going to make moving the Royals downtown a much easier sell to people.
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

What's F&B?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Food and beverage
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

mister816 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:34 pm What's F&B?
Food and beverage
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

I wonder if State and NCAA Championships could be hosted in KC in the future.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

normalthings wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:38 am I wonder if State and NCAA Championships could be hosted in KC in the future.
They mentioned youth events multiple times. I have no knowledge of state soccer or ncaa, but I assume both national teams would find it an attractive option for the youth teams given our training infrastructure.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:34 pm I’m gonna preface this take by saying I could be totally wrong and I’m not the expert on construction costs/stadiums…but if it’s only is costing $70 mil to build an 11,000 seat stadium…how the hell are people saying it would be “$1.5 bil” for a new 35,000 seat Royals stadium?

You’re talking a different world with the amenities required for a mlb stadium and building decks on top of decks.

That’s why I was skeptical earlier about it being expandable which turned out to be right. To keep it in perspective, when Mizzou redid their south end zone it cost about $100 million.

To build baseball you’re looking at around a billion for a minimal viable stadium.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Biggest budget difference between this stadium and a new MLB stadium isn’t even the size, it’s the difference in technology and amenities. While I love this stadium, it’s about as barebones as you can get while still having a very nice facility. You start adding in the club level amenities and massive tech required for baseball and the price skyrockets.

This stadium design, as simple as it is balloons to 350+ million if it were attempting a 45,000 capacity figure.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Let's not forget parking and how much that increases any project cost
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Sporting park had no structured parking and has some suites and premium lounges was $200m in 2017. Seats 18467.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

really like the project and the buzz it is getting Nationally as the first women's sport specific stadium. Really helps builds KC's overall brand, not just it's soccer cache.

I also love the idea of having it be a smaller venue seating around 11K to give it the best chance to be sold out all the time. That will create a great atmosphere and allow them to expand as needed so that they never over build and end up playing in an empty stadium during down years, etc.

The Youngs are very smart business people and when they say they have researched the details and have a plan for sustained success it is not lip service. These are not the "good old boys" network of owners in other professional sports. Will be interesting to see how their success will drive development down town and influence Royals ownership as well as business leaders to continue to invest in downtown and it's surrounding neighborhoods. Great project, vision, and stewardship to get it done. Very exciting
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

dukuboy1 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:00 am The Youngs are very smart business people and when they say they have researched the details and have a plan for sustained success it is not lip service. These are not the "good old boys" network of owners in other professional sports. Will be interesting to see how their success will drive development down town and influence Royals ownership as well as business leaders to continue to invest in downtown and it's surrounding neighborhoods. Great project, vision, and stewardship to get it done. Very exciting
At some point, you have to start thinking about an ownership change for Sporting KC. Illig is 70 years old. I don't know if he has kids that want to take over ownership, but the Youngs are kind of building a resume here with the woman's team. Perhaps, a Sporting/Woman's merger could be in the future?
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Cliff Illig’s son Mike has taken on an active role representing their family as the owners of SKC for some time.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Cliff Illig might be the biggest catfish I’ve ever seen. He’s simultaneously one of the biggest boosters of downtown with his mouth more than almost anyone, and then is also one of the biggest boosters of sprawl and suburbanism with his wallet and business. Just an absolute catfish.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

dukuboy1 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:00 am

I also love the idea of having it be a smaller venue seating around 11K to give it the best chance to be sold out all the time. That will create a great atmosphere and allow them to expand as needed so that they never over build and end up playing in an empty stadium during down years, etc.
Then you will love my 25,000 seat Royals Stadium concept (I forget the exact number I was pushing).