OFFICIAL - Second and Delaware

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: OFFICIAL - Second and Delaware

Post by earthling »

What's holding them back, labor? Financing?
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

I’m surprised we haven’t heard about Ashland since it stalled
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

earthling wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:32 pm What's holding them back, labor? Financing?
DEFEO is waiting on council plan approval, FAA (I think), and council for incentives.

City Harvest waiting on FAA and has yet to file plans.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Some local developer needs to attempt the mass timber building to see what the cost differences are compared to concrete and steel.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

FangKC wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:27 pm Some local developer needs to attempt the mass timber building to see what the cost differences are compared to concrete and steel.
Or just use cross laminated timber for mid rises, especially when used in a modular development it can reduce prices
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

FangKC wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:27 pm Some local developer needs to attempt the mass timber building to see what the cost differences are compared to concrete and steel.
Do you mean like the Milwaukee high-rise timber? Is intriguing. Would be better than the lego block buildings starting to surround downtown. Also would be good to see more variations of the modular building at 34th/Main across Midtown and E Side, but sporadically placed, not rows of them.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Collison on this building. Declared fully leased...
https://cityscenekc.com/going-green-pay ... -one-year/
The pace of leasing has outstripped other apartment developments that opened about the same time, Walker said. Second + Delaware hit 80 percent occupancy after six months, 95 percent at seven months and the last studio was leased recently.

Walker estimated 40 percent of the residents work from their home and having ample community amenities helped make Second + Delaware an attractive place to hunker down during the Covid pandemic.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

I'm really happy this building was so successful. It was a hulking empty concrete box for awhile there.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

40% work from home is incredible. Related to the discussion about needing to start building office to keep residential going… im curious if that paradigm holds post-WFH.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

What kind of amenities does this building have
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Riverite wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:59 am What kind of amenities does this building have
roof top gardens, lots of green space, in ground pool, gym
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

kboish wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:39 am 40% work from home is incredible. Related to the discussion about needing to start building office to keep residential going… im curious if that paradigm holds post-WFH.
In the end would expect WFH hybrid to be offered to positions that are tough to fill (Cerner apparently there now) but there are some companies that specifically want to reduce office space and apply WFH to as many roles as possible (Sun Financial is one, was cutting global space before COVID). No one knows what % of WFH will stick long term but I'd be surprised if 30% office workers, over 10% of office workers seems like a realistic minimum. Flex space popularity and growth (WeWork, Plexpod) will also play a role in companies playing in remote work space long term, which tend to be WFH/WFA hybrid workers.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

I wonder if this will drive more apartments with amenities. I’m sure some will just move further out but I bet a lot of people will get lonely during wfh
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Likely, according to multi-family studies, many WFH workers are driving demand for 2 bedrooms or dens with more building amenities.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

earthling wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:12 pm ^Likely, according to multi-family studies, WFH workers are seeking 2 bedrooms or dens with more building amenities.
That makes sense, also developments with little share spaces probably doing well. Anecdotal but I’ve definitely met and heard of a number of single people who are struggling living in houses during wfh
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Some high end residential buildings are offering various forms of common area work spaces that can be scheduled, essentially in-house flex space.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I'm happy to see that that extra expense to construct a green building has paid off. I'd love to see how much it costs to heat the apartments compared to an apartment of a similar square footage.

This is also good news.
l...The concept has gone so well that its developer, Jonathan Arnold is exploring building similar-scale projects at two other undisclosed locations downtown. One of his financial backers is Berkshire Hathaway, multi-billionaire Warren Buffett’s holding company.
https://cityscenekc.com/going-green-pay ... TsA6tM77dY

This probably is an attractive option for many if they are able to grow some of their own food.
And of course, there’s the added benefit of residents being able to get their hands dirty rooftop gardening while enjoying the downtown skyline view. ...
Last edited by FangKC on Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

100% occupied. Great news
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

FangKC wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:16 pm I'm happy to see that that extra expense to construct a green building has paid off. I'd love to see how much it costs to heat the apartments compared to an apartment of a similar square footage.

This is also good news.
l...The concept has gone so well that its developer, Jonathan Arnold is exploring building similar-scale projects at two other undisclosed locations downtown. One of his financial backers is Berkshire Hathaway, multi-billionaire Warren Buffett’s holding company.
https://cityscenekc.com/going-green-pay ... TsA6tM77dY

This probably is an attractive option for many if they are able to grow some of their own food.
And of course, there’s the added benefit of residents being able to get their hands dirty rooftop gardening while enjoying the downtown skyline view. ...
Great news hopefully one is they build on the rest of the lots on 2nd maybe. Would love to see that old PowerPoint redeveloped too could be a nice indoor market, or some kind of activity center, or museum. Would really take river market to the next level
Rabble
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rabble »

normalthings wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:45 pm 100% occupied. Great news
Wonderful news. Along with the sluggish rates at Artistry and Galleria, it shows downtown renters are becoming more intelligent in their choice of neighborhoods, style of architecture, and quality of construction.

Will developers pay attention or just continue to put suburban crap in our downtown?