Misc Crossroads News

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by DaveKCMO »

A few updates:

Pizza Shuttle is hiring and very close to opening.

The MGM building on Film Row has a new owner, but I'm not optimistic it can be saved since the previous owner really neglected it.

Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

With the Sheraton at Crown Center open again, I got to go back up and get a picture from the 40th floor. I like how the recent projects filled in the Crossroads a bit more. Still plenty of space to build on.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Work is going on inside the old Josey on Oak and a truck out front with fresh stack of drywall. Previous rumors indicated a restaurant since it had a kitchen from the event space days.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

The old Goodwill is in poor shape. Not likely to be saved
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

langosta wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:22 am The old Goodwill is in poor shape. Not likely to be saved
Says who?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Kevin Collison is reporting that the former Screenland at 17th and Washington will be converted into a "foodie oasis."

Building at 17th and Washington Slated to Become Foodie Destination

https://cityscenekc.com/building-at-17 ... gTu2KpV_A4
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

FangKC wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:58 am Kevin Collison is reporting that the former Screenland at 17th and Washington will be converted into a "foodie oasis."

Building at 17th and Washington Slated to Become Foodie Destination

https://cityscenekc.com/building-at-17 ... gTu2KpV_A4
This is in the "DMZ" that is claimed by both Westside and Crossroads. Some people on the Westside will never forgive Butch Rigby for calling it Screenland Crossroads, and it's why the Cityscape development further south is called "Crossroads Westside" (which was not the original name).

Neighborhood politics aside, this sounds like a great project!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Love calling it the DMZ. They should make their own neighborhood name. StriWa = Strip down Washington, WeX
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:54 am This is in the "DMZ" that is claimed by both Westside and Crossroads. Some people on the Westside will never forgive Butch Rigby for calling it Screenland Crossroads, and it's why the Cityscape development further south is called "Crossroads Westside" (which was not the original name).

Neighborhood politics aside, this sounds like a great project!
We have similar issues here in Columbus Park. I blame Kite Singleton and John Hoffman, who developed "East Market Row". Soon after, East Market (photo) Studios followed. Now, the Plaza Animal Hospital is is fixing to open "River Market Animal Hospital" – where else? – in CP.

Not surprised Butch went on to coin East Brookside. What's next?
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

I saw a 'Westport Yoga KC' at 59th & Brookside Blvd!

Also classic:
Midtown Signs in Rosedale, KCK
Strawberry Hill Povitica in Merriam, KS

As far as the DMZ, that sliver of land ceded to the Crossroads (or whatever it would have been called at the time) as soon as the I-35 viaduct sliced it off from the rest of Westside. Only if that piece of infrastructure is removed or relocated and the grid is healed should it return under the Westside name.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Another article about “Washington Plaza”: http://www.metrowiremedia.com/news/trio ... s-westside
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

DaveKCMO wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:48 am Another article about “Washington Plaza”: http://www.metrowiremedia.com/news/trio ... s-westside
That's my old stomping grounds. Never considered it to be Crossroads, was always Downtown to me😁
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

viewtopic.php?p=147859#p147859

Had to go back and find my old posts as not to repost it all again. Still looking for pictures of the apartments and store ( butchers market) across the street from this project. Butch was my uncle and managed apartments still there east of my apartment that have been demolished.
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

I'm an old-schooler who agrees with Broadway as the dividing line between Crossroads and West Side. I feel like the boundary should be a street that people actually interact with rather than a freeway up on stilts that's used to pass over both neighborhoods as quickly as possible.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

scooterj wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:10 pm I'm an old-schooler who agrees with Broadway as the dividing line between Crossroads and West Side. I feel like the boundary should be a street that people actually interact with rather than a freeway up on stilts that's used to pass over both neighborhoods as quickly as possible.
Neighborhood boundaries can change. Today the west side is in four parts. Separated by the terminal railroad, I-35 twice and 670. It’s ok for a piece to functionally join a new neighborhood. There’s nothing wrong with splitting downtown on Broadway too.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:40 pm With the Sheraton at Crown Center open again, I got to go back up and get a picture from the 40th floor. I like how the recent projects filled in the Crossroads a bit more. Still plenty of space to build on.
Thanks for sharing these pics. Nice to see the development. Would love to see some more vertical structures go up in Cross Roads, nothing crazy but maybe a few architecturally unique high rises that serve as art pieces if you will for the area. Really pleasing buildings that can be seen from a distance that act like stepping stones into the main downtown business district & high rises around Crown center/hospital hill area.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Nara wants to reopen but not same space. Hopefully they find a space downtown somewhere but looking all over.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

What about that new City Club restaurant space? Or is that already claimed?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Said they want to do table side grill. Does this mean hibachi-style? Perhaps the old Gojo space? Already set up for that.