OFFICIAL - Waddell & Reed - 14th & Baltimore

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: OFFICIAL - Waddell & Reed - 14th & Baltimore

Post by normalthings »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:48 pm
DColeKC wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:45 pm Cerner officially leaving KCK. Fingers crossed they could end up in this building?
Would be nice, but I thought the story said they’d be moving to the Bannister campus.
Agree that the articles say that.

I could see WR being possible if they are remote heavy for 2020-2022 with the eventually goal of scaling in-person back up with the future. This would give them the ability to cut some short term costs, open a downtown operation, and gain some cash.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Would be nice, but it realistically has about a1% chance. Their world HQ is just across the River in NKC. The Bannister campus was “crown jewel” in KC to consolidate a lot of the far flung offices into 1 site. Perhaps a global HQ down town possible, I would think a new spec skyscraper would be their style where they could say occupy maybe 70% and lease the rest to offices, retail etc. own the building & generate some revenue. Then use NKC campus for some new purposes within their LOB, maybe a research & testing facility, something like that. But I really wish them well to be a huge employer that helps be a catalyst for new start ups from past employees who cut their teeth there.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I believe I read Cerner is selling all their properties north of the river.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

FangKC wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:02 am I believe I read Cerner is selling all their properties north of the river.
This does not surprise me. It always seemed to me they would use Bannister to consolidate KC employees. There is no reason to have people spread across the city
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

kboish wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:26 am
FangKC wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:02 am I believe I read Cerner is selling all their properties north of the river.
This does not surprise me. It always seemed to me they would use Bannister to consolidate KC employees. There is no reason to have people spread across the city
River port was just parking and meeting space. I don’t think NKC is being sold is it
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The Oaks Campus building has already been sold to NorthPoint.

The Riverport property on Birmingham Road is up for sale.

https://fox4kc.com/business/cerner-puts ... -for-sale/

I expect eventually they will sell their office buildings on Armour Road as they consolidate operations on Bannister. It doesn't make sense to have multiple campuses when they are building all that new space.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^And potentially needing less office space long term given apparent long term WFA/WFH direction.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

FangKC wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:22 am The Oaks Campus building has already been sold to NorthPoint.

The Riverport property on Birmingham Road is up for sale.

https://fox4kc.com/business/cerner-puts ... -for-sale/

I expect eventually they will sell their office buildings on Armour Road as they consolidate operations on Bannister. It doesn't make sense to have multiple campuses when they are building all that new space.
The North Oak building I believe was always a place holder until the new Bannister Campus could start taking in employees. Selling that made sense. KCK building I can’t recall it’s history, but it also makes sense as Cerner is primarily a MO based company & consolidating offices to one side of state line makes things easier. The NKC campus is the world HQ. They may move it South but they have spent the most money there over the years updating, expanding, etc. that moving would be odd but I put nothing by huge corporations when it comes to decision making. Also Cerner has a partnership with with NKC hospital next door, not sure how that plays in or if it even matters but they do collaborate
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The way the world headquarters is configured in multiple buildings makes it very marketable to numerous smaller companies. I think it would be easy for Cerner to sell that whole campus as a whole, or in separate parts.

Because of North Kansas City Hospital being next door, it also makes it a likely health care-related node of NKC Hospital administrative offices and clinics, as well as other health care enterprises like rehabilitation services, health care billing companies, etc.

I still have a hard time coming up with a reuse of the Riverport campus though.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

It seems with Cerner, they hire lots of young, single people; run them like crazy traveling 4-5 days/week and then when they start to break or develop families dump them. So, if they think a DT campus would help trap some of these young, unwise college grads, perhaps they go that direction.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:46 am It seems with Cerner, they hire lots of young, single people; run them like crazy traveling 4-5 days/week and then when they start to break or develop families dump them. So, if they think a DT campus would help trap some of these young, unwise college grads, perhaps they go that direction.
That’s how any big tech, engineering, or fin business I’ve seen works
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

normalthings wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:59 am
beautyfromashes wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:46 am It seems with Cerner, they hire lots of young, single people; run them like crazy traveling 4-5 days/week and then when they start to break or develop families dump them. So, if they think a DT campus would help trap some of these young, unwise college grads, perhaps they go that direction.
That’s how any big tech, engineering, or fin business I’ve seen works
I’ve not seen this in Kansas City as much but, you’re right, that is the standard in many places. The larger businesses I’ve worked with: Burns, Garmin, Geha, etc seem to want to attract family people. Perhaps that’s why they located in the suburbs instead of DT.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The North KC world HQ was not built for Cerner. It was the Rock Creek office park, a Corporate Woods wanna be.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Tim Cowden tweeted he had lunch at Jackstack Freight House after giving a project tour to Chicago site consultant. Given they are at the downtown location, can only imagine that the tour was either Lightwell or much more likely WR

https://twitter.com/timcowden/status/14 ... 0753?s=21
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Just wanted to say, I was wrong about this building. It is excellent. Everytime I go through Main and see it, it just really sticks out and looks awesome on the skyline. With it being there, it gives that area just a big city feel because it feels like this building just completes the rest of the row there. I know this building got alot of hate, but man it looks really good and much better than I thought. One of the best fill-in's I've ever seen in KC.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Need a shot of this and the Three Light crane
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:52 pm Just wanted to say, I was wrong about this building. It is excellent. Everytime I go through Main and see it, it just really sticks out and looks awesome on the skyline. With it being there, it gives that area just a big city feel because it feels like this building just completes the rest of the row there. I know this building got alot of hate, but man it looks really good and much better than I thought. One of the best fill-in's I've ever seen in KC.
I was never too worried about the view from a distance, but I 100% stand by the complaints about the street-level presence and lack of ground-floor activity.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

I'll reserve judgment until I can walk by it on the sidewalk.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Probably looks good from space, too.