Freight House Podium Project - 20th and Walnut

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Freight House Podium Project - 20th and Walnut

Post by missingkc »

While I don’t have much faith that comments made on this site have much or any affect on developers’ plans, I find the proposed design of the shorter building on the north on Main to be dour. Looks way too much like the Marriott downtown. Would like a redo, please. Lighten it up.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

missingkc wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:21 pm While I don’t have much faith that comments made on this site have much or any affect on developers’ plans, I find the proposed design of the shorter building on the north on Main to be dour. Looks way too much like the Marriott downtown. Would like a redo, please. Lighten it up.
The metal facade should look a bit nicer and more dimensional than the Marriott.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I just want to put it out there that even without the Podium Office and Hotel building, Phase 1 is going to really transform the development area. As NormalThings said, 200 apartments, 12 townhomes, parking and the redevelopment of the Superior building are all great projects. Throw in the office and airbnb hotel thing on Grand (by a different developer), and this currently quiet area comes to life.

The Podium and Hotel would be the cherry on top for this transformational development. I do share the concern that TheLastGentleman brought up about the developer pulling this project off. Unless they have Milhaus (or some other multi-family developer) on board for the residential and maybe even office, then this could still be a ways off. Grand Place/KCStar seems to have been paused for a while. I guess they're having a hard time getting tenants. And if so, what makes them think an additional 75,000sf of office space at Superior and 210,000sf at Podium would fill up?

So really, I see Phase 1 as being a definite project even if it doesn't start in the next year or two (but I hope it does). Phase 2 (Podium) is more hazy since it involves a whole lot more risk. We'll see what happens though. I like this project from what we have seen so far.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

This development will even more show the Home2Suites to be one of the most wasted space projects in the last decade.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:33 pm This development will even more show the Home2Suites to be one of the most wasted space projects in the last decade.
Home2suites isn’t bad for the location and time. Even looks like they could expand on the south side if they wanted to
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:33 pm This development will even more show the Home2Suites to be one of the most wasted space projects in the last decade.
It's far from the most wasteful

2011-2021 saw the city approve tearing down a historic Film Row building for the Webster Parking garage across the street from the Kauffman Center Garage with 1000 spots in it.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

This developer has drawn bigger names on a few projects now. They can pull this off
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

City approved land transfer for the office tower.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

^Strong bones with the capability of becoming something great.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Dumpster with construction debris parked outside the low rise that will be bulldozed for the apartment building. Workers out there this weekend. Also looks like the superior windows are covered in plastic.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Podium Office Tower is moving forward

KC City Council approved the transfer of land to PIEA and 50% EATS Incentives in June. PIEA moving forward with selection of redeveloper and land close.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

normalthings wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:13 am Podium Office Tower is moving forward

KC City Council approved the transfer of land to PIEA and 50% EATS Incentives in June. PIEA moving forward with selection of redeveloper and land close.
Does that mean it’s going to be spec or do they have someone in mind?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

EATS incentive requires net new jobs to KCMO. 300 or 30% (whichever is greater) for KCMO Residents.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

When will they start this?
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

So lets see, we have all of the following office projects approved for incentives with none started- 13th/grand; strata; 13th/Wyandotte; 20th Walnut; and 1650 Broadway (Op zone that said they don't need city incentives, right?), plus WR building that is currently under construction with no tenant.

So I am going to guess....never.

Edit: to add- Old KC Star building Rehab.
Last edited by kboish on Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

1650 has no office
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Is that new info? based on the thread convo, office was in the mix.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Wasn't there a tower recently proposed for crown center too? All of these projects are pretty small, like under 200k sq ft. You would think one of them might get built. Maybe not though.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

GRID wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:12 pm Wasn't there a tower recently proposed for crown center too? All of these projects are pretty small, like under 200k sq ft. You would think one of them might get built. Maybe not though.
Yes. CC Tower is for a specific tenant.