Downtown Buildings with Activity

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Downtown Buildings with Activity

Post by DaveKCMO »

That's part of the same condo association as 612 Central.
HalcyonKC
New York Life
New York Life

Post by HalcyonKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:32 pm Any idea what's happening there? General reno/new windows?
That building used to have a cornice above the first floor windows. It deteriorated and several years ago it partially fell down in a windstorm and had to be removed. On examination I think it ended up that the cornice was largely a reproduction. It was something that looked ok from street level, but in actual fact had large pieces which were just sturdy-ish architectural foam moulding. (If it wasn't a full reproduction, it had been patched with filler so much over the past century that between the foam, the filler, and the rotted wood that remained, it was no longer structurally viable). The property manager got quotes for a proper replacement but the numbers to fabricate and install a quality custom piece like that were tens of thousands of dollars. Yet something had to be done because the wall behind the cornice was ugly. The brickwork was sloppy since it had never been intended to be viewed. The century-old mortar was crumbly and had some gaps. And there were a bunch of rough wooden structural members that the cornice supports had nailed into, now poking through. As an emergency repair, they patched what they could and painted the exposed section of rough brick and mortar the same dark brown color the old cornice had been.

Fast forward to late 2020 and what you're seeing is the final fix they settled on. The layer of painted bricks and all the old mortar was removed, the ends of the wooden beams that had been poking through were trimmed back, then the wall was faced back off with completely new brick to give a durable permanent exterior surface.

Look at this building on Google Street View and you can see what the old temporary repairs looked like. Ugly; the average person's eye maybe wouldn't have been drawn up to that level but it was still a gappy wall. Swing around the block from Wyandotte to Central, and look at the opposite side, and you can see it still has a cornice similar to what used to be on the Wyandotte side.

Source - I lived in one of the buildings in this HOA and recall the history.

In regards to your comment about the stoop, that is not actually the main entrance to that building. It may have been a main door to the building decades ago, but in the current floorplan I think that door basically functions as an alternate / back door to a couple people's condo's. The actual main entrance faces the gated courtyard just to the south of the building. The stoops on both sides of that building were more of an issue with Amazon drivers not being familiar with the building and trying to leave packages there, which was typically just a defacto gift to the homeless if not caught quickly. And that all said, I did see a human turd on the sidewalk in front of one of the stoops once.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

This building now has a new(?) entry canopy

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Abnos has been working on that building forever.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Appears that Native Digital is moving into 1612 Grand.

https://nativedigital.com/
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

That canopy is about the best looking thing Abnos has ever done. Still got that rooftop contraption. The old BrandsMart on Gregory is still looking like an abomination.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

I haven't been able to get a video of it yet due to my phone going for an unexpected swim in the Gulf of Mexico last week, but what I believe is a new dispensary just south of Zoo Bar (in the little standalone building where the law firm used to be) definitely makes its presence known to the south-facing residents of The Grand and Argyle. (Apart from the exuberant nighttime signage, it looks like they've done a nice job fixing up that little building.)
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

‘From the Earth’ Marijuana Dispensary Sprouts Near T-Mobile Center
Downtown’s first medical marijuana dispensary, From the Earth, is scheduled to open at the beginning of June at 1222 McGee, near the T-Mobile Center and Power & Light District.

Tyler Diltz, a From the Earth employee, said the new downtown dispensary is a relocation from a previous site on Independence Avenue in northeast Kansas City and is expected to provide a much higher profile.
https://cityscenekc.com/from-the-earth- ... le-center/
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I don't think that dispensary will be there that long though, because I think they will get bought out when that block gets redeveloped.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0991581 ... 8192?hl=en
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

FangKC wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:37 pm I don't think that dispensary will be there that long though, because I think they will get bought out when that block gets redeveloped.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0991581 ... 8192?hl=en

The block that's been going to get redeveloped for the past 15 years and will probably remain in that status for at least 15 more.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

What's taking so long with this library district building? Been under some state of disrepair for what has to be well over a year by now

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

They didn't touch it for like a year. Feel like I've seen activity lately on windows and molding
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

The cornice is missing right now. I guess they are re-building the structure and will put the masonry back?
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Quite the metaphor
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Partial collapse at Siedens furs
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

Not surprising. I made 311 complaints years ago for brick pieces being all over the 10th st sidewalk.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Ugh let's hope the owners finally let someone buy it before it's too late and is demoed.
crlove
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by crlove »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:12 am Ugh let's hope the owners finally let someone buy it before it's too late and is demoed.
I think this was the final nail in the coffin. My guess is demo is imminent.Can't imagine this is worth fixing.

I looked into buying it a couple of years ago and couldn't even get in touch with anyone, let alone actually discuss what it would take to buy it.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

crlove wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:53 am
KCPowercat wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:12 am Ugh let's hope the owners finally let someone buy it before it's too late and is demoed.
I think this was the final nail in the coffin. My guess is demo is imminent.Can't imagine this is worth fixing.

I looked into buying it a couple of years ago and couldn't even get in touch with anyone, let alone actually discuss what it would take to buy it.
What a shame, would’ve been such a nice place if it were redeveloped