One Kansas City Place

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: One Kansas City Place

Post by KCPowercat »

I assume this is kind of a judgment thing but what classifies a space as A? Just because it's an older building it gets downgraded?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:49 pm I assume this is kind of a judgment thing but what classifies a space as A? Just because it's an older building it gets downgraded?
Yea it’s mostly judgment based on the market. Age of building, quality of ffe, floor plate size/column spacing, etc can all come into play.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:49 pm I assume this is kind of a judgment thing but what classifies a space as A? Just because it's an older building it gets downgraded?
From these sources, Class A is about building or renovating with the best supplies and tech, providing the best service and having the best amenities for tenants. If you renovate a 1000 year old building it could become class A.

https://www.areadevelopment.com/AssetMa ... 1155.shtml
These buildings represent the newest and highest quality buildings in their market. They are generally the best looking buildings with the best construction, and possess high-quality building infrastructure. Class A buildings also are well located, have good access, and are professionally managed. As a result of this, they attract the highest quality tenants and also command the highest rents.
https://www.boma.org/BOMA/Research-Reso ... tions.aspx
Most prestigious buildings competing for premier office users with rents above average for the area. Buildings have high quality standard finishes, state of the art systems, exceptional accessibility and a definite market presence.
https://www.squarefoot.com/blog/class-a ... buildings/

Besides boasting an aesthetically pleasing interior and exterior, Class A buildings have: On-site building management and security, Attended lobbies
Fancy HVAC systems, Fast, reliable Wi-Fi, Parking garages, Other premier tenants in the building

https://www.vts.com/blog/the-3-office-b ... eally-mean
Class A buildings have a prime central location with exceptional accessibility and are usually of significant size. Class A buildings aren’t always newly built; older distinguished buildings with outstanding ownership in prime markets are often Class A due to their market presence.

Class A boasts high-end tenant improvements and first-class finishes, high-tech security, the latest in elevator and HVAC systems, and state-of-the-art technological capabilities. In other words, these buildings are built to impress. The hottest in amenities can include concierge/valet services, cafes, food courts, restaurants, daycare centers, game rooms, on-site covered parking, gyms, showers, lounges, bike storage and roof terraces.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

normalthings wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:54 pm
GRID wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:13 am If there was more modern office space in downtown KC, would One KC place even be considered class A anymore? It just does not seem like the top class A building it once was.
I don’t think that any of the big KC towers would be categorized as Class A if/when WR, Strata, and 13 Wyandotte Open.
Wouldn't the H&R Block building be considered Class A?
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

I'd think 2555 Grand would be considered class A as well, having been built in 2003.

normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:06 pm I'd think 2555 Grand would be considered class A as well, having been built in 2003.

I was just considering multi-tenant buildings and so HR Block, 2555 Grand were not in my equation.
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

normalthings wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:44 am
TheLastGentleman wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:06 pm I'd think 2555 Grand would be considered class A as well, having been built in 2003.

I was just considering multi-tenant buildings and so HR Block, 2555 Grand were not in my equation.
2555 Grand has listings available. I don’t think it’s solely Shook, Hardy, Bacon anymore.

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/2555-Gr ... O/4415466/
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

One Kansas City Place's lobby is being renovated.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Needs to be retrofitted for retail/public engaging spaces toward the sidewalks, especially given a streetcar stop directly in front.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

normalthings wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:20 am One Kansas City Place's lobby is being renovated.
Any word on the plans?
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

The Main Street side has tenants in both spaces: Bank of America in the northeast corner and Evergy in the southeast corner. The retail space on the second floor that overlooks Baltimore Avenue is vacant. None of the 1KCP retail spaces allows for direct entry -- all access is via the lobby.

The building did a lobby makeover just a few years ago, so I am surprised they are doing another one.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Midtownkid wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:44 am
normalthings wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:20 am One Kansas City Place's lobby is being renovated.
Any word on the plans?
$400,000 to redo the ceiling. not sure what else
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^If they aren't engaging with the streetcar stop, totally ignoring the opportunity.... Dave, can you give them a clue?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

earthling wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:03 pm ^If they aren't engaging with the streetcar stop, totally ignoring the opportunity.... Dave, can you give them a clue?
My interactions with the building's management have not been pleasant. Sorry!
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

If the inside of this place still looks like it does in this image, it needs some serious work!

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Is that the former cafeteria space? That looks like a salad bar in the foreground?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:19 pm
earthling wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:03 pm ^If they aren't engaging with the streetcar stop, totally ignoring the opportunity.... Dave, can you give them a clue?
Isn't this the building that refused to have the stop on their property so it ended up with no shelter cover?
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

That's the second floor above the 1st floor lobby. It still looks like that as far as I know, even though I haven't been back to the building since last November. It's still got the dark tile, dark wood paneling and chrome in the lobby from 1988...lol. The owners do very little to maintain the building, even the pavers out front are buckled in many areas and have been for years. They might have the windows cleaned once a year, if that.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

KC_JAYHAWK wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:16 am That's the second floor above the 1st floor lobby. It still looks like that as far as I know, even though I haven't been back to the building since last November. It's still got the dark tile, dark wood paneling and chrome in the lobby from 1988...lol. The owners do very little to maintain the building, even the pavers out front are buckled in many areas and have been for years. They might have the windows cleaned once a year, if that.
To be fair, those elements really fit with the post-modern design. I wouldn't want to see it go minimalist white like Town Pavilion. Keep it 80s! They just need to make the retail elements more accessible from the outside. I wouldn't mind seeing the 'pavilion' along main rebuilt/re-imagined.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

flyingember wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:13 am
DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:19 pm
Isn't this the building that refused to have the stop on their property so it ended up with no shelter cover?
Yes, that's one example of a negative interaction.